Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred Approval?

tag
KS13
Established Member

Chase Sapphire Preferred Approval?

So I'm looking to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. But wanted to know from you guys if you think I will get approved or if I should apply.

Here my credit info:

Basically I didn't have any credit history in 2011 when I started trying to apply for a bunch of Capital One credit cards and Department store cards getting declined for everyone. This in return put  a bunch of hard inquirys on my credit report. I finally decided to become an authorized user on my sister's Discover account in October 2011. That was my first credit card with shared $2500 CL.

In May 2012 my dad opened up a new American Express Blue Cash Everyday credit card which he was instantly approved for with a $14,100 starting CL, and added me as an authorized user.

Fast forward to 2012 August, I finally got approved for my own Sears Mastercard credit card with a starting CL limit of $5000. Then in September 2012 applied for Macy's Department store card, and got approved with a $300 CL limit. Then getting excited with the two recent approvals, applied in October 2012 for Chase Freedom credit card. Was declined, and even spoke to recon dept. and they stated too short of credit file. I didn't think to try recon again.

So in December 2012, I convinced my dad to add me as a Joint account holder on his Chase freedom Mastercard which he has had since 1996 with no late payments ever and always paid all balances in full each month. His credit limit for the card is $13,000. After filling up the paperwork I was added as a Joint cardmember on the chase card and my credit report started showing the card and increased my credit scores by 40+ points.

my current credit scores are FAKO EXPERIAN PLUS Score: 745, Credit Karma Trans-union score: 767, and FICO Equifax score: 740. Citi Identity Experian score shows 723.

my AAoA: 3 years, 11 months

Current Open Credit utilization: 12% (will be lower once Chase and Sears MasterCard report my payments paid)

Total accounts: 5

Ontime payments: 100%

Hard Credit inquires in past 12 months: 1 (on TransUnion), 4 Credit inquires on EXperian (will be three after 2/13), and 4 Credit Inquires on EQUIFAX

Credit Card Limits   $34,900 (total)

AMEX   $14,100 (Authorized user, opened May 2012)

CHASE   $13,000 (Joint card holder, opened Feb 1996)

DISCOVER FIN   $2,500 (Authorized User, opened October 2011)

SEARS/CBNA   $5,000 (Own Individual Account, opened August 2012)

DSNB MACYS   $300 (Own Individual Account, Opened September 2012)

So what do you guys think?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred Approval?

I think it's going to be 50/50, I applied yesterday and am still waiting to hear back.  they DO NOT take AU into account when you apply for them and the hold up on my account is my highest CL is 4000 so you having a 5000 account will help

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 36
KS13
Established Member

What are  you're credit scores if you don't mind me asking?

And did you already recon Chase ? 

Message 3 of 36
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

all three FICOs were right at 700, I have a 12 year history with 100% on time and a 4 year AAoA

When I reconned the CSR recommended me for approval but said it would have to go to the next level and I would know somthing today.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 36
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Good luck

Message 5 of 36
KS13
Established Member

Yeah looks like you've got a really good chance since the CSR recommended you. 

What did you tell him when he said you denied?

Message 6 of 36
swpopham
Established Contributor

my experience with the line " ive reccomeneded it but the next level will have to approve it" means denial.... Ive had it go 2 ways. UW approves it and card is on the way. Delays it by above line and denied everytime. Me- my wife and like 5 people from the "OTHER" board

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 7 of 36
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I just said thanks, and hung up.  called in about 8 hours later and ask for it to be reconsidered .

Message 8 of 36
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

my experience with the line " ive reccomeneded it but the next level will have to approve it" means denial.... Ive had it go 2 ways. UW approves it and card is on the way. Delays it by above line and denied everytime. Me- my wife and like 5 people from the "OTHER" board

Ouch that sucks, I was really hoping for an approval after what she said last night

Message 9 of 36
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@KS13 wrote:

So I'm looking to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. But wanted to know from you guys if you think I will get approved or if I should apply.

Here my credit info:

Basically I didn't have any credit history in 2011 when I started trying to apply for a bunch of Capital One credit cards and Department store cards getting declined for everyone. This in return put  a bunch of hard inquirys on my credit report. I finally decided to become an authorized user on my sister's Discover account in October 2011. That was my first credit card with shared $2500 CL.

In May 2012 my dad opened up a new American Express Blue Cash Everyday credit card which he was instantly approved for with a $14,100 starting CL, and added me as an authorized user.

Fast forward to 2012 August, I finally got approved for my own Sears Mastercard credit card with a starting CL limit of $5000. Then in September 2012 applied for Macy's Department store card, and got approved with a $300 CL limit. Then getting excited with the two recent approvals, applied in October 2012 for Chase Freedom credit card. Was declined, and even spoke to recon dept. and they stated too short of credit file. I didn't think to try recon again.

So in December 2012, I convinced my dad to add me as a Joint account holder on his Chase freedom Mastercard which he has had since 1996 with no late payments ever and always paid all balances in full each month. His credit limit for the card is $13,000. After filling up the paperwork I was added as a Joint cardmember on the chase card and my credit report started showing the card and increased my credit scores by 40+ points.

my current credit scores are FAKO EXPERIAN PLUS Score: 745, Credit Karma Trans-union score: 767, and FICO Equifax score: 740. Citi Identity Experian score shows 723.

my AAoA: 3 years, 11 months

Current Open Credit utilization: 12% (will be lower once Chase and Sears MasterCard report my payments paid)

Total accounts: 5

Ontime payments: 100%

Hard Credit inquires in past 12 months: 1 (on TransUnion), 4 Credit inquires on EXperian (will be three after 2/13), and 4 Credit Inquires on EQUIFAX

Credit Card Limits   $34,900 (total)

AMEX   $14,100 (Authorized user, opened May 2012)

CHASE   $13,000 (Joint card holder, opened Feb 1996)

DISCOVER FIN   $2,500 (Authorized User, opened October 2011)

SEARS/CBNA   $5,000 (Own Individual Account, opened August 2012)

DSNB MACYS   $300 (Own Individual Account, Opened September 2012)

So what do you guys think?

Hey KS13!

Welcome to the forums!  At first glance I say you will probably be approved.  What's your income like?  AAoA is still short at 3 years so it will likely come down to sufficient income.  Chase and Amex are willing to forego history and over look past indiscretions it seems based on their internal scoring system.  There have been a lot of surprise approvals of late.  How long have you been on your job?

My recommendation- wait another month for a full 6 months of history with a 5K limit If your income is good enough.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.