cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Do I stand a chance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Do I stand a chance?

Hello, newbie here! I'm wondering if I have any chance at all for qualifying for Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

I'm presently a student, working part time making ~$14k a year. I have a Visa card with a $3k limit. Always pay it in full every month, never missed a payment. I doubt this has any bearing, but I've also been a user on my parent's AA Advantage Visa with a $50k limit (the only reason I mention this is because it seemed to favorably affect my debt ratio and that it also has a clean history - no missed payments, paid in full every month, etc). My only inquiry in my history is the one from my personal Visa card. I checked my scores a few months ago and they were roughly 760 - 790. More than anything though I'm worried about the income part.

Should I apply? Or are the odds against me here.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred - Do I stand a chance?

You are right - your income could be an issue. Why not try the regular Sapphire? It seems to be easier to get from what I've read around here.

Current Cards:
Message 2 of 24
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Did you check the pre-approval site? When is the last time you got a limit increase on your current Visa? What do you plan on using the card for?

QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

whats your AAoA average age of accounts and length of history?

Message 4 of 24
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

you might have a good shot but the income is kinda hurting you. I would suggest looking at the freedom for now cause of no AF. The CSP has a 95 AF you just cant justify that with your income. But you should get the freedom anyways to max out your points. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 5 of 24
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, newbie here! I'm wondering if I have any chance at all for qualifying for Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

I'm presently a student, working part time making ~$14k a year. I have a Visa card with a $3k limit. Always pay it in full every month, never missed a payment. I doubt this has any bearing, but I've also been a user on my parent's AA Advantage Visa with a $50k limit (the only reason I mention this is because it seemed to favorably affect my debt ratio and that it also has a clean history - no missed payments, paid in full every month, etc). My only inquiry in my history is the one from my personal Visa card. I checked my scores a few months ago and they were roughly 760 - 790. More than anything though I'm worried about the income part.

Should I apply? Or are the odds against me here.

Thanks!

14k income seems really low for Chase to approve you. Plus, would you really use the card? Or are you just trying to get the sign-up? I don't see 14k income being enough to support that card long term...just being honest. Sorry!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoops, actually I meant the regular Sapphire. Not the preferred. My bad there..

My Visa I've had for 4 years. Last time the limit was increased was ~6 mos ago, which means they'll probably up it again real soon.

I do a lot of traveling and I plan on putting my large school purchases on the card. The sign-up bonus is nice, but is not the primary reason for the card.

Message 7 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for the CSP!!!

Message 8 of 24
MT936
Established Contributor

use the preapproval tool on their website

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP showed up for me on the pre-qual site.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.