cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred and car rental coverage!!!

tag
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred and car rental coverage!!!

My question is does the Chase Sapphire Preferred card cover car rentals through 3rd party sites such as hotwire or Expedia? Would like to use this card due to the primary coverage! Thanks guys!

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred and car rental coverage!!!

@Nova5041 wrote:

My question is does the Chase Sapphire Preferred card cover car rentals through 3rd party sites such as hotwire or Expedia? Would like to use this card due to the primary coverage! Thanks guys!

It's not Hotwire or Expedia providing the car. As long as the full bill is put on the card you should be ok.

edit: Also check w/ your auto insurance carrier and see if they offer "UNOC" or non-owned car coverage. With State Farm this coverage is about $5 for 30 days worth.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 7
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I called chase and CSR told me it has to say car rental on the statement, which I'm not sure if he was entirely accurate. I would think as long as I show the bill from hertz if something were to happen it would be enough! My car insurance Progressive does treat car rentals like its my own car, so no problem there, I just like the benefits of not having to call them in case of an accident and for them to raise my rates. Lol

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Your card came with terms.  Read and understand those terms.  They cover the details regarding the car rental coverage.  I have a CSP but I don't have all of that memorized and have to refer to it before I consider relying on such a benefit.  I don't recall it being online or else I'd give you a link.  There are some exclusions that don't work for some of my rentals which is why I pay for AmEx's premium car rental coverage.

Message 4 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Nova5041 wrote:
Thanks, I called chase and CSR told me it has to say car rental on the statement, which I'm not sure if he was entirely accurate. I would think as long as I show the bill from hertz if something were to happen it would be enough! My car insurance Progressive does treat car rentals like its my own car, so no problem there, I just like the benefits of not having to call them in case of an accident and for them to raise my rates. Lol

Yes, your coverage will always transfer over to a rental. Where there is a gap is "loss of use" that the rental company will stick you with. Insurance companies won't cover that without UNOC added to the policy. I once had an insured file a claim with AMEX and they refused to pay anything until his primary auto insurance denied the claim. Do some research so you don't run into any fun surprises should something happen.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 7
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Here is the CSP benefits guide. https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1130204/inline/SapphirePreferred_Visa_Signature_V0000037_BGC10374...

It's a pretty inclusive policy, not a lot of exceptions.  I've had 2 claims, one domestic and one international.  They were resolved quickly and easily.  If you have questions about coverage, call the number on the benefits guide I linked above.  Chase CSR's are a terrible source of info about this.   As others have said, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. don't rent cars, just like they don't have an airline, they work as a broker and your contract is with the agency, such as Enterprise.

Message 6 of 7
Samac
Regular Contributor

As others have said, check your terms.
The terms for my citi world elite MasterCard state that they will cover auto rental in the instance that my insurance does not. I have to file with my insurance before filing with them.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.