Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred and/or AMEX Platinum

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred and/or AMEX Platinum

Applying in person for Chase? Without a banking relationship I can't see how it would help. Carrying a corporate Amex- sorry can't see that helping either.
Message 11 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

I don't think you should try for the CSP as they like to see about a year of credit history with a card that is around 5k or more. I just don't think it is worth the inqs. I'm not certain on the amex charge requirements, although its something I am looking at for the future to get my foot in the door with Amex.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 27
enharu
Super Contributor

I would recommend you start with chase freedom or some other card first. Your chances for CSP is slim, so I wouldn't recommend risking the inquiry.

As for the platinum, it is easier to get since it is a charge card. Having a corporate card has no bearing on your approval odds, but that card isn't that hard to get either.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

To get my foot in the door with Chase I started with the Freedom even though I wanted the CSP. On the plus side there is no AF with the freedom card, so I can keep it open indef and my hope is when I try for the CSP in 6monts to a year the fact I have one of their cards already will really help me out. That may be something to consider if you really want the CSP down the line.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 27
jgbishop
Valued Member

Thansk for all the responses so far. I want to pitch another idea. What about the United Explorer Card through Chase? Could I start there and then build the relationship with Chase and apply for the CSP in 6 months or so?

Starting Score: TU (myFICO) , EQ (myFICO) 620 , EX (PlusScore) 661 [1/1/13]
Current Score:font> TU (myFICO) 678 , EQ (myFICO) 660 , EX (PlusScore) 706 [6/11/13]
Goal Score: 750+ All Three

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jgbishop wrote:

Thansk for all the responses so far. I want to pitch another idea. What about the United Explorer Card through Chase? Could I start there and then build the relationship with Chase and apply for the CSP in 6 months or so?

I think you should apply for what you want and then regroup if that doesn't work.... your scores are well far enough for approval of any of these and we have seen MANY posts lately about this needing another $5k card to get a CSP first get blown out of the water...

Apply for United followed by CSP back to back in same internet window.

then apply for platinum... if that's what you want... the AF is high and don't think worth it if not tons of travel and probably international but you would have NO issue getting approved... they just want the AF... they are kind of like Barclay "The Black Card" these days.

Message 16 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Yes, you should apply for whatever you want but I don't think that's the point of OP's question. We all know that lenders look at other factors than credit scores. Namely, existing banking relationship (Chase) , revolving credit cards, baddies and finally income. OP has significant income and his baddies are old enough but his 1 rev cc with a $300 CL should be considered when suggesting a $5k CL.

Amex charge card is a possibility - plat comes with a hefty AF and unless you need that cards particular benefits, I would downgrade your choice to PRG. United Ex is not out of the realm of possibility but its not a guarantee either. If you need 2 cc now and 1 is a Chase I would look at the lower tier Freedom first. Assuming you won't have any problems with the spend requirements for both United and Amex and want to test the waters - then you can try that route as well.
Message 17 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to weigh in on this topic... PRG is an excellent card.. And once you have the PRG it is very easy to upgrade to Plat. I got the upgrade offer to Platinum after carrying my PRG for roughly 3 months...  Also, the AF is free for the first year. Once you get the PRG, let your balances report so that you can show that you're actually spending on the card.  EX keeps track balance history as well as payment history...  Chase pulled EX and TU for me (granted this was in Feb 2012)

Then you can go for the CSP after 6 months.  

That would be my strategy.  It might be worth it to burn a HP to apply for the regular Chase Sapphire, which can be upgraded to the preferred once your revolving credit history is stronger

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 18 of 27
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I'm going to weigh in on this topic... PRG is an excellent card.. And once you have the PRG it is very easy to upgrade to Plat. I got the upgrade offer to Platinum after carrying my PRG for roughly 3 months...  Also, the AF is free for the first year. Once you get the PRG, let your balances report so that you can show that you're actually spending on the card.  EX keeps track balance history as well as payment history...  Chase pulled EX and TU for me (granted this was in Feb 2012)

Then you can go for the CSP after 6 months.  

That would be my strategy.  It might be worth it to burn a HP to apply for the regular Chase Sapphire, which can be upgraded to the preferred once your revolving credit history is stronger

if the OP can get approved for a Charge card, he should choose which ever charge card that does the best for benefits, either PRG more points or Platinum for benefits, get the card. perhaps AP for an unsecured capone card, rebuilder and then at 6 months, it will be 1/2014 AP for another AMEX charge card perhaps a revolver using the benefit of high internal score. After the second AMEX card is reporting 1/2013 date, 6 months older than his first, he will have 2 cards reporting a year of history so may be enough for CSP.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 19 of 27
lonewolf210
Established Member

So I just got approved for the CSP yesterday and the Amex Plat about two weeks ago.

Previously I only had a armed forces visa with a $1000 cl and then a 35k loan. My credit karma score was only 715.

Now I have no black marks on my credit like you do but I also make signifcantly less then you do. So to me your not totally outside the realm of possibility.

That being said I'm not sure if the fact that I am military makes a difference since should I ever become deliquient they could go to my commander who can dock my pay to give to the ccc

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.