Established Member
jgbishop

Chase Sapphire Preferred and/or AMEX Platinum

[ Edited ]

I know this is a topic that has beaten the poverbial dead horse. I wanted to get some experiences applying for these two cards. I am considering both but don't know if my odds of getting approved for either are too good. Credit profile is as follows:

TU(myFICO): 718-758*

EQ(myFICO): 680-720*

EX(PlusScore): 706

*based on simulation. Currently available report does not reflect lower credit utilization from current billing cycle yet which is currently 7%. I'll refresh Thursday when the new reports are available

6 student loans carrying balances totaling less than 10K

1 revolving credit card from Capital One ($300 CL)

1 open credit on bank account (OD protection: $500 limit)

One deliquency 2 years ago (30 days) reflected in TU and EQ but not EX.

My income is over 97,000 per year but I have a short history (Total of 4 years but AAoC is 2 years)

Do I have a chance on getting approval for either one of these cards?

Starting Score: TU (myFICO) , EQ (myFICO) 620 , EX (PlusScore) 661 [1/1/13]
Current Score:font> TU (myFICO) 678 , EQ (myFICO) 660 , EX (PlusScore) 706 [6/11/13]
Goal Score: 750+ All Three

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

09Lexie

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred and/or AMEX Platinum

Welcome to the forum. CSP usually requires some cc history with a CL close to $5k. Stranger approvals have happened but the likelihood is not in your favor. Basically, your cr shows 1Cap 1 with a $300 CL- Chase will not look at SL or the bank account. Do you have a banking relationship with Chase?

Amex Plat is also iffy. Even though the UW req are the same for all charge cards - the $300 CL is still your only rev cc.

May I ask, why these 2 cc's? Travel, dining?
Established Member
jgbishop

Travel rewards for sure. I work in the oil industry and I tend to travel for two weeks a month. I'd like start getting some of the rewards from it. To give a little more description: September of last year I didn't even have enough credit history to generate an actual score. I had applied for an AMEX Green and got denied. I chose to go for a "bad credit" type credit card so that I could get a score with hopes of applying for a beneficial card about this time. That is why my limit is so low on the Capital One. I don't have a relationship with Chase though.

Current Score:font> TU (myFICO) 678 , EQ (myFICO) 660 , EX (PlusScore) 706 [6/11/13]

Established Contributor
emptypockets

jgbishop wrote:

I know this is a topic that has beaten the poverbial dead horse. I wanted to get some experiences applying for these two cards. I am considering both but don't know if my odds of getting approved for either are too good. Credit profile is as follows:

TU(myFICO): 718-758*

EQ(myFICO): 680-720*

EX(PlusScore): 706

*based on simulation. Currently available report does not reflect lower credit utilization from current billing cycle yet which is currently 7%. I'll refresh Thursday when the new reports are available

6 student loans carrying balances totaling less than 10K

1 revolving credit card from Capital One ($300 CL)

1 open credit on bank account (OD protection: $500 limit)

One deliquency 2 years ago (30 days) reflected in TU and EQ but not EX.

My income is over 97,000 per year but I have a short history (Total of 4 years but AAoC is 2 years)

Do I have a chance on getting approval for either one of these cards?

I would think you would more likely be approved for AMEX Plat than CSP. AMEX charge cards seem to be approved at lower (680-700) scores. The CSP is probably a no go, due to the fairly recent (2 yrs ago)  30 day lates, your short history, and your limited credit history (only 1 CC open). Chas also has been doing alot of double pulls (EX/TU) lately, so the fact that something appears on one bureau and not another may not help alot in this case.

I will also say that depending on FAKO scores is probably not the best thing to do when trying to decide where to apply. It is always better to have a real FICO in hand before making a decision.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (4), Chase (6), Nordstrom Visa,US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, UMB Visa, Nasa FCU Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Citi (4), Discover IT, Walmart Discover, Sam's MC, Cabela's Visa, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, 5/3 RLR MC, DC Premier MC, Macy's AMEX; A few store cards.

Current Scores: EQ My Fico (12/14): 785; TU MyFico (12/14): 795; EX (My Fico): 765; Walmart TU Fico 08 (12/2014): 788
09Lexie

Then I would start with the PRG, lower AF. Get your foot in the door with Chase with their Freedom. After 6 mos and you think you need the CSP- then go for it.
Established Member
jgbishop

Would the fact I currently carry a corporate AMEX help me out at all? Also, would applying in person be of any benefit?

Contributor
mcf

Is this a case where you may have to get a say GE backed card maybe a walmart or a sams club hope they give you a decent CL then wait after 4th statement cuts request increase, get one close to 4k-5k then in a year apply for a CSP? Does your job have a credit union? maybe they can be a lot more generous and give you a good credit limit to begin with?

Starting Score:Walmart TU 686, MyFico EQ 630, Credit Sesame 649, CK 636Current Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:700 CLUB
Last HP:5/21/13Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
drcc2013

Try capital one secure rewards card .If you can put $3k down which is the Max that would show you can handle a higher limit card than in 6 month try for one of those cards you prefer ....Just my opinion 

Contributor
mcf

it should help with maybe backdating when your approved for your own.. not sure if that works but i think ive read it does in some threads..

Starting Score:Walmart TU 686, MyFico EQ 630, Credit Sesame 649, CK 636Current Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:700 CLUB
Last HP:5/21/13Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
emptypockets

jgbishop wrote:

Would the fact I currently carry a corporate AMEX help me out at all? Also, would applying in person be of any benefit?

I doubt it. If it is not in your name, it has no bearing on you being approved.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (4), Chase (6), Nordstrom Visa,US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, UMB Visa, Nasa FCU Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Citi (4), Discover IT, Walmart Discover, Sam's MC, Cabela's Visa, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, 5/3 RLR MC, DC Premier MC, Macy's AMEX; A few store cards.

Current Scores: EQ My Fico (12/14): 785; TU MyFico (12/14): 795; EX (My Fico): 765; Walmart TU Fico 08 (12/2014): 788

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}