Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred...app or no

tag
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred...app or no

I'm of the school of thought that if you can't type a complete, intelligible sentence, you probably can't speak well enough to get approved on a recon.  But, that's just me.

Message 11 of 37
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Trust me, I can type my thoughts grammatically correct if I so desire, but being at work is something of a hindrance so I have to get my thoughts down quickly.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 12 of 37
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I verified myfico equifax score is currently 716.  Barclays will soon report a balance of 25 bucks, while the zync and freedom will both report zero balances.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 13 of 37
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Jayb5635, frankly I would go the following way (I am somewhat in shoes similar to yours as I also want to apply for CSP some time soon, but not sure if I can get approved):

- Try to get Amex revolver in your name. As long as you already have Amex Zync it will only be a soft pull if you are denied. I would suggest you to try to get either Amex BCE (it is a nice card IMHO), or Amex Delta (it is free for the 1st year and 35000 miles (skypesos as they are frequently called here :-) ) can be somewhat useful). It is sometimes reported that Delta is easier to get, but I can't confirm this from my personal experience (got declined for Amex Delta, than ~6mths later approved for BCE).

This way you will, first of all, get a nice card that can have 3x limit increase in 2 months (so called "61 days 3x CLI" here) and you will have an idea on what limit you realistically can rely on. 

If you get declined for Amex, I would probably NOT try to apply for CSP, but rather wait some more time before apping or try to get to Chase with another card (e.g. Freedom) that has lower requirements. 

But these are just my thoughts, how I would've approached this being in your shoes :-)

Good luck anyway!

EDITED: Sorry, missed that you have Freedom already. How old is it? Have you ever asked for CLI on your Freedom? 

My first statement remains the same still - I'd try with Amex revolver first...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 14 of 37
charyot77
Regular Contributor

If you don't need the CSP anytime soon, I would wait until Chase offers a larger signup bonus promotion. It is not guaranteed to happen but it would be nice to have.  Time helps your credit score right? 

Message 15 of 37
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I agree.  My thinking was to apply and recon, because I'm not entirely sure ill get approved instantly.  I've had a checking account with Chase since 2006 and the freedom since August.

Message 16 of 37
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

For borderline approvals, I'm from the school of thought where it's better to app, recon, and be denied; rather than wondering "what if" I would have qualified.

+1

Absolutely! AND if this is THE card that you want, what's one inq? At least you'll know where you stand and what to work on. IMO.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 17 of 37
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Drapp it like you want it....DRAPP IT!

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

For borderline approvals, I'm from the school of thought where it's better to app, recon, and be denied; rather than wondering "what if" I would have qualified.

+1

Absolutely! AND if this is THE card that you want, what's one inq? At least you'll know where you stand and what to work on. IMO.

I don't mind inquiries all that much.  To me, they're like battle scars.  Without them, you'll never win any major battles.

Message 19 of 37
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Lol even with the 3 inquiries from August I'm not deterred. I guess it's just paranoia on my end. I'm already mentally preparing myself for the recon call. Mind you, I think my score is good enough, as well as my salary. I make 55k/yr

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.