Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred coupled with BofA 3/2/1

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred coupled with BofA 3/2/1

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Ditch the BOA card. Get a freedom/CSP and Sallie Mae card. The sallie mae card kicks the crap out of the boa 123 card execpt for the lower caps. 

Reason i think he was going for boa card is to not have to take another pull since he could PC travel rewards card to 3-2-1 card. 

Id take the HP for a sallie mae anyday

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 11 of 19
LosAngeles007

@bigblue7722 wrote:

Ditch the BOA card. Get a freedom/CSP and Sallie Mae card. The sallie mae card kicks the crap out of the boa 123 card execpt for the lower caps. 

Reason i think he was going for boa card is to not have to take another pull since he could PC travel rewards card to 3-2-1 card. 

mongstradamus is correct. I wanted to convert to BofAs 3.2.1 card so my credit would not be pulled again.

Message 12 of 19
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

i was in a very similar position as you: my family is all bofa so i started with a 3-2-1 card. my 3-2-1 is now sock drawered and i have the CSP, Freedom, and Sallie Mae.

As many others have said, CSP is an awesome card and Ultimate Rewards points are arguably the best points you can get (due to its flexibility and your ability to rack up UR points faster than any other membership type). If you decide to go for a CSP, it is absolutely worth it to apply for a Freedom. This is because the CSP and Freedom play well with a Chase checking account, and you can transfer Freedom points into UR points if you have CSP. For example, many people value one UR point at around 1.6 cents per point. If you earn gas at 5 points per dollar using the Freedom, you're essentiallygetting 1.6 * 5 = 8% back from those purchases.

Whether you apply for them at the same time or at separate times is up to you. Depending on your score, you should be able to get both (apply for CSP first. and apply for CSP in branch because they usually give the best offer in branch).

I also agree the Sallie Mae is definitely worth the hard pull, whether you choose to go for it now or later. 5% is solid for those times when the Freedom is off gas rotation, and it's great for grocery and Amazon purchases as well. i know in the short term you're trying to avoid getting too many pulls, but you want to think long term and what's best for your credit / spending situation.

my bofa 3-2-1 is currently sock drawered. it would be cancelled if it wasn't the UCLA version (gotta hang on to my alma mater, even if it doesn't provide me any benefits!)

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 13 of 19
LosAngeles007

Milkshakes,

Thank you for your response! I believe I am going to follow your footsteps. 

Additionally, is the CSP worth the $95 annual fee after the first year? 

Lastly, always remember to Fight On (I'm a Trojan).

Message 14 of 19
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

saw you created a post dedicated to whether or not it's worth it. see the response here

tldr: it really depends on your expenditures and how you spread it among cards. if you're primarily using CSP + Freedom, absolutely yes. if you have plans to travel in the future, it's an awesome card to have. I spent less than you per month (majority of my spend is for the ridiculous rent prices up here in the bay) and still make it worth it to me.

also: as I tell all my Trojan friends, "see you in football season!" since you know... you guys don't really play any other sports Smiley Very Happy

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 15 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@milkshakes wrote:

i was in a very similar position as you: my family is all bofa so i started with a 3-2-1 card. my 3-2-1 is now sock drawered and i have the CSP, Freedom, and Sallie Mae.

As many others have said, CSP is an awesome card and Ultimate Rewards points are arguably the best points you can get (due to its flexibility and your ability to rack up UR points faster than any other membership type). If you decide to go for a CSP, it is absolutely worth it to apply for a Freedom. This is because the CSP and Freedom play well with a Chase checking account, and you can transfer Freedom points into UR points if you have CSP. For example, many people value one UR point at around 1.6 cents per point. If you earn gas at 5 points per dollar using the Freedom, you're essentiallygetting 1.6 * 5 = 8% back from those purchases.

Whether you apply for them at the same time or at separate times is up to you. Depending on your score, you should be able to get both (apply for CSP first. and apply for CSP in branch because they usually give the best offer in branch).

I also agree the Sallie Mae is definitely worth the hard pull, whether you choose to go for it now or later. 5% is solid for those times when the Freedom is off gas rotation, and it's great for grocery and Amazon purchases as well. i know in the short term you're trying to avoid getting too many pulls, but you want to think long term and what's best for your credit / spending situation.

my bofa 3-2-1 is currently sock drawered. it would be cancelled if it wasn't the UCLA version (gotta hang on to my alma mater, even if it doesn't provide me any benefits!)

yeah go BruinsSmiley Happy

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 16 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@LosAngeles007 wrote:

Milkshakes,

Thank you for your response! I believe I am going to follow your footsteps. 

Additionally, is the CSP worth the $95 annual fee after the first year? 

Lastly, always remember to Fight On (I'm a Trojan).

I am too.....I bank with sc credit union and was wondering if I should open a credit card with them, since I'll be getting my car loan and a mortgage in about a yr from now.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 17 of 19
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

a hybrid Bruin/Trojan?!?! we've heard so many stories about you! :]

Message 18 of 19
bk510
Valued Contributor

@milkshakes wrote:

a hybrid Bruin/Trojan?!?! we've heard so many stories about you! :]

lol, yeah i guess u can say that.

my lil brother went to ucla and my sister went to sc. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.