Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred downgrade

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred downgrade

Is Chase still letting people downgrade to the no AF Sapphire? I know they're not letting people app for it anymore, but I remember reading recently that someone had successfully downgraded their CSP to it.

I want to get a CSP down the road, to help maximize my UR Points, but I hate AF's. I'd probably only do it if I could get downgraded to the Sapphire after a year. 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred downgrade

I believe they are, but for how long I am not sure..

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the regular sapphire still get 2x the points on dining?

I will be downgrading next year to the regular as well. What are the differences between the 2 cards besides the annaul fee.

Message 4 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I will be downgrading next year to the regular as well. What are the differences between the 2 cards besides the annaul fee.

I downgraded in Jan without problem. Yes you still get 2x on dining. They told me I would get 2x on travel when they reviewed the benefits but I am not getting those points. You lose the 7% annual dividend and most importantly you use the ability to transfer to travel partners unless you have ink plus/bold. So in a nutshell if you want to use the points for travel transfer them to a travel partner before the downgrade. Also, I believe there is a FTF on the CS and I am not certain if you still get primary car insurance. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

A bit outdated but snipit from the pointsguy.  7% bonus is gone on CSP and obviosuly the 3k is 4k now on spend

snip.JPG

Message 6 of 25
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I downgraded in Jan without problem. Yes you still get 2x on dining. They told me I would get 2x on travel when they reviewed the benefits but I am not getting those points. You lose the 7% annual dividend and most importantly you use the ability to transfer to travel partners unless you have ink plus/bold. So in a nutshell if you want to use the points for travel transfer them to a travel partner before the downgrade. Also, I believe there is a FTF on the CS and I am not certain if you still get primary car insurance. 

The CS vs CSP differences are starting to get fewer and fewer.

2x on dining still applies, but you only get 2x on travel if you book through Chase, Also the 7% dividend is going away for everyone at the end of the year. 

And it looks like there is a 3% FTF on the non preferred. 

Message 7 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2x on dining still applies, but you only get 2x on travel if you book through Chase, Also the 7% dividend is going away for everyone at the end of the year. 

True but the card has no real value if you can't transfer to travel partners. For those without the chase ink cards it makes all the difference in the world. As a cashback card there are better options out there. If I didn't have an ink card I would have paid the AF to keep the CSP. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True but the card has no real value if you can't transfer to travel partners. For those without the chase ink cards it makes all the difference in the world. As a cashback card there are better options out there. If I didn't have an ink card I would have paid the AF to keep the CSP. 

This is what I gather as well.  The true value of the CSP is the transfer partners --- Without this ability (essentially the CS), the card falls significantly behind others.  When my AF comes around in September, I will most likely keep it going but if I do not get the value, I will downgrade to a CS and place it in my sock drawer.

Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right. without an ink the CS  is just a 1% card with 2% on dining!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.