Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred downgrade

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred downgrade

It's still available to downgrade but I wouldn't count on it being around next year. It's a discontinued card for all intents and purposes

If you don't wanna pay the CSP AF I'd suggest not getting it as opposed to hoping to downgrade. As others mentioned the no AF CS is a weak card anyway, you can do better with almost any cash back card at this point
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
It's still available to downgrade but I wouldn't count on it being around next year. It's a discontinued card for all intents and purposes

If you don't wanna pay the CSP AF I'd suggest not getting it as opposed to hoping to downgrade. As others mentioned the no AF CS is a weak card anyway, you can do better with almost any cash back card at this point

What's wrong with downgrading?

The fact is if you have an Ink Plus or still have a Bold, then a CS is still a good option for dining when others are not in category.

Message 12 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Not everyone has an Ink plus or can get it. Again, it's a business card. Some people hype it like it's a normally available card and it's not. It doesn't apply to everyone

OP doesn't mention having an Ink, and without it the CS is unexciting

There's nothing wrong w downgrading but I'd venture that the option won't exist forever which was my point.
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Not everyone has an Ink plus or can get it. Again, it's a business card. Some people hype it like it's a normally available card and it's not. It doesn't apply to everyone

OP doesn't mention having an Ink, and without it the CS is unexciting

There's nothing wrong w downgrading but I'd venture that the option won't exist forever which was my point.

In the case that an Ink card is not an option. I would apply for an AARP card and roll the CSP limit into it.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead move the line to a Slate or Freedom card.  Or the AARP card like the above poster mentioned, but I'm not certain if that is possible. 

Message 15 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

New app requires another HP and AAOA ding. I just don't get it. If you can't justify a CSP don't get it. Why get it planning to take a new HP a year later and combine the limits?

Also that assumes chases combine limits policy will remain as liberal as it is now. That could always change.
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
New app requires another HP and AAOA ding. I just don't get it. If you can't justify a CSP don't get it. Why get it planning to take a new HP a year later and combine the limits?

Also that assumes chases combine limits policy will remain as liberal as it is now. That could always change.

Priorities change. One may see a need for a certain card at a time and later decide it's not for them. This is currently the best plan of action.

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what I'll do with the CSP when the AF comes due in January, but I've racked up over $500 in points and booked two flights with them through Chase travel.  I also plan to use it for hotels this year, so it has certainly paid off for me so far, and I've only had the card since January.  As far as downgrading or canceling, I may travel internationally next year and would still have a use for the card but could use a little higher limit (currently at 7K).  Might upgrade to AMEX platinum but don't want to pay $550 for two travel cards.  50K MR points/$5K spend upgrade offer on AMEX but that is a bit steep for me, and MR's aren't as good as UR's I don't think, and now I have a 15K AMEX everday card I'll probably just use for supermarkets and a 0% BT (didn't go for slate because I already had 3 chase cards).  CSP is a lower cost travel card option and I eat out a lot, currently using the 5% freedom for that.  Non-preferred Sapphire holds no interest for me.  I'd just cancel CSP, move the line, eat the $500 CL loss and keep my high-interest low-limit amazon and freedom.  But I think I'll hold on to the CSP for at least another year or so and pay the $95 in January.  

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure what I'll do with the CSP when the AF comes due in January, but I've racked up over $500 in points and booked two flights with them through Chase travel.  I also plan to use it for hotels this year, so it has certainly paid off for me so far, and I've only had the card since January.  As far as downgrading or canceling, I may travel internationally next year and would still have a use for the card but could use a little higher limit (currently at 7K).  Might upgrade to AMEX platinum but don't want to pay $550 for two travel cards.  50K MR points/$5K spend upgrade offer on AMEX but that is a bit steep for me, and MR's aren't as good as UR's I don't think, and now I have a 15K AMEX everday card I'll probably just use for supermarkets and a 0% BT (didn't go for slate because I already had 3 chase cards).  CSP is a lower cost travel card option and I eat out a lot, currently using the 5% freedom for that.  Non-preferred Sapphire holds no interest for me.  I'd just cancel CSP, move the line, eat the $500 CL loss and keep my high-interest low-limit amazon and freedom.  But I think I'll hold on to the CSP for at least another year or so and pay the $95 in January.  

You don't have to lose $500 of CL. I didn't when I closed the SW.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.