Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

tag
aamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

@Open123 wrote:

@saaws wrote:

Hey Open123, I do agree that Amex has a great FHR.. Although Visa Signature hotels are somewhat comparable, as Visa Signature has Mandarin oriental as a possible option in a few cities I looked into. Although it is difficult to compare them directly.

Unfortunately, I'm not as well versed into Visa Sig' program, but if you have any insights on how I could utilize it, I'd be very grateful!

Now that I've decided the CSP is an absolute keeper, I'm open to any insights on how to better utilize the card and the Visa Sig benefits.  

Honestly, I've found their travel website to be cheaper than going through the actually carrier. But, i'm also +1 on how to better use it... 

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 11 of 52
Open123
Super Contributor

@aamex wrote:

For basic travel purposes and point redemption, I still stick to CSP. 

Likewise.

I hardly ever spend on the business Platinum, but use it only for the benefits, and being able to write off half the fee.  For business spending, I'd rather use the new Amex Blue card that after year 3 will have a 30% bonus on spending.

I agree that more and more of my spending is starting to accrue on my CSP.  

Message 12 of 52
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@aamex wrote:

For basic travel purposes and point redemption, I still stick to CSP. 

Likewise.

I hardly ever spend on the business Platinum, but use it only for the benefits, and being able to write off half the fee.  For business spending, I'd rather use the new Amex Blue card that after year 3 will have a 30% bonus on spending.

I agree that more and more of my spending is starting to accrue on my CSP.  

My only thought for the CSP is that it needs  more "Preferred" benefits like American Express has ...because the card and reward structure is perfect, but you don't get the same access to benefits.. 

I don't think I could have one without the other though :-/

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 13 of 52
Open123
Super Contributor

I find the CSP such a good value already, I'm not sure what else they could include.  For $95, it's just hard to believe they won't raise the fee or reduce the perks over time.

Message 14 of 52
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

I love having both, heres why:

Obviously as we have already established, the CSP is BY FAR the better spending card. (1) Two pts on travel & dining, (2) Three pts when purchasing travel thru the UR website, (3) 3-10 pts in the UR Mall with lots of choices, (4) 7% annual points dividend return!, and (5) VISA is accepted EVERYWHERE. And I personally like transferring points to United Airlines miles. Even if you don't like transferring points to miles, you can (6) redeem your UR pts on UR travel and its 20% off!

Amex Plat is (1) one pt on everything, (2) Two pts travel thru MR, (3) NO MALL (inexistent for 9+ months now?), (4) NO annual bonus, and u (5) cant use Amex everywhere. As of Feb 1, 2013, you (6) will not get the 20% off if you redeem points on MR travel. With SIX clear reasons, the Amex Plat should not be used if you want to earn points/miles.

Now, before obtaining my Amex plat, i was spending approx $50-100 for baggage fees per roundtrip (depending if its 1-2 people), going on avg 4 flights a year. Thats at around $200-400 a year. Obviously with Plat, thats easily $200 less, and I can now enjoy the lounges. In addition, when I rent a car, I use Amex's Premium car rental insurance (for a $25 fee per rental) which is set as my primary insurance, therefore I do not have to go thru my personal insurance if there is an accident in which i may have to pay a deductible. CSP's auto rental policy only covers as a secondary with no option to pay for a primary.

I don't even use Global Entry, FHResorts, or Starwood and I still enjoy the Amex Plat for those three things (Incidental fees, lounges, and primary auto rental coverage). I don't use concierge on either because im a control freak so I have to do everything myself (which i've heard others on FT say the same). In a couple of years when I travel internationally, the Global Entry will be nice. 

As you can see, I agree that it really is comparing apples to oranges. If you like points and miles, CSP. If you like the perks and fancy benefits go with Amex Plat. If you like both, go with both! So simple!!!!!! Isn't life about doing what you want?

Message 15 of 52
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

I love having both, heres why:

Obviously as we have already established, the CSP is BY FAR the better spending card. (1) Two pts on travel & dining, (2) Three pts when purchasing travel thru the UR website, (3) 3-10 pts in the UR Mall with lots of choices, (4) 7% annual points dividend return!, and (5) VISA is accepted EVERYWHERE. And I personally like transferring points to United Airlines miles. Even if you don't like transferring points to miles, you can (6) redeem your UR pts on UR travel and its 20% off!

Amex Plat is (1) one pt on everything, (2) Two pts travel thru MR, (3) NO MALL (inexistent for 9+ months now?), (4) NO annual bonus, and u (5) cant use Amex everywhere. As of Feb 1, 2013, you (6) will not get the 20% off if you redeem points on MR travel. With SIX clear reasons, the Amex Plat should not be used if you want to earn points/miles.

Now, before obtaining my Amex plat, i was spending approx $50-100 for baggage fees per roundtrip (depending if its 1-2 people), going on avg 4 flights a year. Thats at around $200-400 a year. Obviously with Plat, thats easily $200 less, and I can now enjoy the lounges. In addition, when I rent a car, I use Amex's Premium car rental insurance (for a $25 fee per rental) which is set as my primary insurance, therefore I do not have to go thru my personal insurance if there is an accident in which i may have to pay a deductible. CSP's auto rental policy only covers as a secondary with no option to pay for a primary.

I don't even use Global Entry, FHResorts, or Starwood and I still enjoy the Amex Plat for those three things (Incidental fees, lounges, and primary auto rental coverage). I don't use concierge on either because im a control freak so I have to do everything myself (which i've heard others on FT say the same). In a couple of years when I travel internationally, the Global Entry will be nice. 

As you can see, I agree that it really is comparing apples to oranges. If you like points and miles, CSP. If you like the perks and fancy benefits go with Amex Plat. If you like both, go with both! So simple!!!!!! Isn't life about doing what you want?

As someone who has both (plat through my parents business).  this post is spot on! thanks for sharing with everyone 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 16 of 52
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@aamex wrote:

@SimonP wrote:

If you like CSP, I am surprised you don't use the triple combo thing with Freedom and checking. I used to get statements credits for our Freedom cards, but after CSP, I just transfer all the UR points.

I definitely considered this....but I don't bank with Chase and I have the Discover More so it wasn't much of an incentive to get the Freedom. I read about this on pointsguy and if you have all 3 its a terrific combo. If the Freedom has a good sign on bonus in the future like the CSP did then i may reconsider. 

Do they still do the checking account bonus thing?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 17 of 52
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

It seems to me that you are paying for the credits or perks up front with the annual fee.  I'm not sure that the Platinum gives 450 bucks worth of extra benefits.  The 200 dollar credit that you get for incidental fees is included in the annual fee.  That leaves $250 bucks that I have paid.  How do you itemize the other $250?

I have an Amex PRG that is probably going to get closed.  I have used amex points towards ticket purchases for events.  But, I don't really use that card to book travel.  Maybe that's where I am missing the boat. 

I need someone to explain to me in dollars how these annual fees allow you to come out on top.  I see that $250 is unaccounted for.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 18 of 52
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

With the $250 left, I am using it for lounges and the ability to obtain the premium auto rental insurance used as a primary. In addition, I will be using Global Entry next year. As I continue to travel more, the lounges and Global Entry will make up for the remaining $250 AF. Remember, the regular priority pass is priced at $400 a year if bought seperately and $100 for Global Entry. 

Message 19 of 52
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

The Amex plat is really designed for those who travel a lot. If you don't, it's unlikely that you'll find much value in it.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.