Reply
Frequent Contributor
aamex
Posts: 285
Registered: ‎04-28-2011
0

Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

...as a travel card.

 

Here's why,

 

Cost -

- Platinum has a $450 annual fee

- CSP offered 50,000 bonus points (the equivalent of 500$), and only a 75$ AF

 

Rewards -

- Platinum gives 1pt per $ and 2pts per $ for travel via amextravel

- CSP gives 1pt per $ + 2pts per $ on ALL travel and dining + 3pts per $ for travel via Ultimate Rewards

- Both have online malls which aren't comparable to ShopDiscover so I won't get into that aspect

 

Card Aesthics -

- Platinum PLAstic...$450 and I can't even get a fancy looking card. However, it is a well recognized status symbol.

- CSP Metal and makes me dislike all of the other cards in my wallet. The numbers are also on the back haven't had someone not acknowledge its nice design yet!

 

Other - 

- Platinum does give access to some airport lounges, reimburses 200$ in airline fees,  gives automatic top tier status for car rentals, and few other memberships

- Chase haven't found any hiden benefit

 

Honestly, as a true travel card I find CSP is the better card. I did use my platinum for a airline fee which was credited back to me very quickly, but other than that...its just like any other charge card amex carries...

 

..IMHO.

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Valued Member
SimonP
Posts: 87
Registered: ‎12-17-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

If you like CSP, I am surprised you don't use the triple combo thing with Freedom and checking. I used to get statements credits for our Freedom cards, but after CSP, I just transfer all the UR points.


No more cards. I am going to be a dedicated gardener!
Scores are about 750 across the board.

My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+
Frequent Contributor
aamex
Posts: 285
Registered: ‎04-28-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum


SimonP wrote:

If you like CSP, I am surprised you don't use the triple combo thing with Freedom and checking. I used to get statements credits for our Freedom cards, but after CSP, I just transfer all the UR points.


I definitely considered this....but I don't bank with Chase and I have the Discover More so it wasn't much of an incentive to get the Freedom. I read about this on pointsguy and if you have all 3 its a terrific combo. If the Freedom has a good sign on bonus in the future like the CSP did then i may reconsider. 

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 4,219
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

[ Edited ]

One benefit the Platinum has over the CSP is the FHR program.

 

While on the surface, this seems like a worthless program where you often pay a higher price than is found on the net, which is true regarding hotels that are freely offered with rewards programs (such as SPG, Hyatt, Hilton etc…) and can be had at deeply discounted prices such as hotwire, expedia, and the myriad of discount sites.

 

This however isn’t the case if you were to stay in hotels such as the Mandarin, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, or the Peninsula.  These old world luxury hotels even eschew rewards programs believing that customer loyalty is gained through top-drawer service rather than discounting or perks.  These hotel chains have absolute price integrity, never offer discounts of any kind, and you will never find them at a better price at sites such as hotwire.com or expedia.  The rare upgrades on these hotels are only offered to their preferred guests and through the FHR program.

 

The only exception is the Ritz very recently offering a rewards programs.  Even with rewards points, the privilege to upgrade to a club level room requires the member to pay a non-discounted or corporate rate for the upgrade, unless booked with the Platinum card which has no such limitation when upgrading to any available club room, and not only those reserved for upgrades. 

 

This is where the Platinum’s FHR program shines.  For shorter stays, the rates with these hotels are almost always cheaper through the FHR program than can be had anywhere else.  Amex Plat holders will pay less for rooms than Ritz Carlton cardholders, especially for shorter stays.  The reason for this is because these hotels have such absolute price integrity; the discount from the FHR program actually means something.

 

Also, with the Ritz card, you’re required to stay at least 2 nights before using the  $100 credit, whereas with the Platinum card, there is no requirement.

 

For anyone who stays at these hotels several times per year, the Platinum card has considerable benefits, especially the treatment you receive at those hotels that continue to eschew any kind of rewards program or miles exchange of any kind.

Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 4,219
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

[ Edited ]

Follow up...RE - Value of CSP

 

The value of the CSP is that it allows for points elsewhere to transfer into the Ritz.  

 

This is valuable because unlike SPGs, Hyatts, or Hilton/airlines, Ritz Carlton stays will never be approved for as a business expense. Approving for stays at the Ritz on shareolders money just looks bad, and even raises the eyebrows during an audit; however, more plebian names such as spg, hyatt, and even marriott however expensive or lavish is accepted as "business travel."

 

So, with the Marriott card or CSP, you can actually use it for corporate travel to accrue points while being reimbursed using those points to stay at the Ritz during your personal vacation.  This is why I find Chase's association with the Ritz a great deal.  It's the first time I've seen a hotel in the class of the Ritz participate and honor points from another rewards program.  Eventhough Marriott owns the Ritz who uses the same program, you can only be a member of one program, since the Ritz is unwilling to honor Marriott's Platinum status as their own.  

 

Only downside is there are around 13 or so Ritz's around the world who refuse to participate in this program believing it will dilute and diminish the end user experience. For these Ritz's that refuse to participate, the only discount or upgrade possibility is offered through the FHR program.

 

I didn't mean it to be this long, but I wanted to illustrate that benefits aren't always as they seem on the surface.  I've read many views finding the Ritz as a non-eventful transfer partner for the CSP.  In my estimation, that couldn't be more wrong, since it's the only way one can utilize his/her work travel points accrued for a personal vacation in a hotel that couldn't be had for less otherwise.

Valued Contributor
clocktick
Posts: 1,603
Registered: ‎12-07-2008
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

The CSP has a $95AF.  How do you get offered the 50k points?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800




Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

New Contributor
saaws
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎09-02-2010
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum


Open123 wrote:

One benefit the Platinum has over the CSP is the FHR program.

 

While on the surface, this seems like a worthless program where you often pay a higher price than is found on the net, which is true regarding hotels that are freely offered with rewards programs (such as SPG, Hyatt, Hilton etc…) and can be had at deeply discounted prices such as hotwire, expedia, and the myriad of discount sites.

 

This however isn’t the case if you were to stay in hotels such as the Mandarin, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, or the Peninsula.  These old world luxury hotels even eschew rewards programs believing that customer loyalty is gained through top-drawer service rather than discounting or perks.  These hotel chains have absolute price integrity, never offer discounts of any kind, and you will never find them at a better price at sites such as hotwire.com or expedia.  The rare upgrades on these hotels are only offered to their preferred guests and through the FHR program.

 

The only exception is the Ritz very recently offering a rewards programs.  Even with rewards points, the privilege to upgrade to a club level room requires the member to pay a non-discounted or corporate rate for the upgrade, unless booked with the Platinum card which has no such limitation when upgrading to any available club room, and not only those reserved for upgrades. 

 

This is where the Platinum’s FHR program shines.  For shorter stays, the rates with these hotels are almost always cheaper through the FHR program than can be had anywhere else.  Amex Plat holders will pay less for rooms than Ritz Carlton cardholders, especially for shorter stays.  The reason for this is because these hotels have such absolute price integrity; the discount from the FHR program actually means something.

 

Also, with the Ritz card, you’re required to stay at least 2 nights before using the  $100 credit, whereas with the Platinum card, there is no requirement.

 

For anyone who stays at these hotels several times per year, the Platinum card has considerable benefits, especially the treatment you receive at those hotels that continue to eschew any kind of rewards program or miles exchange of any kind.


Hey Open123, I do agree that Amex has a great FHR.. Although Visa Signature hotels are somewhat comparable, as Visa Signature has Mandarin oriental as a possible option in a few cities I looked into. Although it is difficult to compare them directly.

EQ 734 (2010/09) 680 (2011/08) 700 (2012/04) 701 (2013/01) | EX 737 (2011/09 AMEX) | TU 755 (2010/09) 721 (2011/09)
Amex Platinum NPSL / Blue Cash Preferred $10K | BofA Visa $9K | Discover More $8.5K | Cap1 Best Buy MC $7K | Chase Ink Bold $12.5K / Sapphire Preferred $5.5K / MileagePlus Select Visa $5K / Freedom $2K | Dell Store $3K
Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 4,219
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum


clocktick wrote:

The CSP has a $95AF.  How do you get offered the 50k points?


It was a sign up bonus, but the deal has expired.

 

The current one is offering 40k bonus points (spend $3k in 3 months) for being approved for the CSP.

Senior Contributor
Open123
Posts: 4,219
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum


saaws wrote:

Hey Open123, I do agree that Amex has a great FHR.. Although Visa Signature hotels are somewhat comparable, as Visa Signature has Mandarin oriental as a possible option in a few cities I looked into. Although it is difficult to compare them directly.



Unfortunately, I'm not as well versed into Visa Sig' program, but if you have any insights on how I could utilize it, I'd be very grateful!

 

Now that I've decided the CSP is an absolute keeper, I'm open to any insights on how to better utilize the card and the Visa Sig benefits.  

Frequent Contributor
aamex
Posts: 285
Registered: ‎04-28-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred > Amex Platinum

Open123, EXCELLENT point... i definitely neglected to mention Fine Hotels & Resorts and also most of the come with resort credits and such. Great point, thanks for the add.

 

For basic travel purposes and point redemption, I still stick to CSP. 

 

I'm still trying to find a reason to spend on my platinum because spending seems to be rewarded better with CSP. Amex has great perks though, the point advance, 20% back if you book through their travel...still not much reason to actually put money on it unless traveling internationally or like Open mentioned for FHR and I mentioned earlier the Lounges, car rentals, etc.

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}