Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Member
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎03-30-2011
0

Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?

I just got my CSF two weeks ago,it has a nice look . I thought it would be rise around the frame and alittle thicker. It weights about 12.1 grams and my amex platinum around  4.9 grams so the csf has some metal in it, but feels alittle plastic. Anyone know?

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,475
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?

It essentially has a metal center layer, which is then surrounded by plastic on the front and back. There have been some blogs which showed what the center looked like after a blowtorch was applied.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Established Contributor
Posts: 526
Registered: ‎02-08-2013
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?

The Terminator was half metal.

 

 

 

#T2Rules #YesIKnowOldThreadAlertDon'tFlame

     
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?

CSP is half metal, in that it has a metal core with plastic on the outside. The Palladium is all metal and the difference in weight vs. CSP is pretty dramatic.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,599
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?


exdll1 wrote:

I just got my CSF two weeks ago,it has a nice look . I thought it would be rise around the frame and alittle thicker. It weights about 12.1 grams and my amex platinum around  4.9 grams so the csf has some metal in it, but feels alittle plastic. Anyone know?


I thought the CSP was all metal, which is why it scratched so easily, as the ink could not adhere to the metal. But if it has a plastic outside layer, why does it scratch so much faster than a regular, plastic card?

 photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?


indiolatino61 wrote:

exdll1 wrote:

I just got my CSF two weeks ago,it has a nice look . I thought it would be rise around the frame and alittle thicker. It weights about 12.1 grams and my amex platinum around  4.9 grams so the csf has some metal in it, but feels alittle plastic. Anyone know?


I thought the CSP was all metal, which is why it scratched so easily, as the ink could not adhere to the metal. But if it has a plastic outside layer, why does it scratch so much faster than a regular, plastic card?


It could be a different type of plastic on the outside. If you look at the side of the card you can actually see the metal core surrounded by plastic.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,599
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?


bribro wrote:

indiolatino61 wrote:

exdll1 wrote:

I just got my CSF two weeks ago,it has a nice look . I thought it would be rise around the frame and alittle thicker. It weights about 12.1 grams and my amex platinum around  4.9 grams so the csf has some metal in it, but feels alittle plastic. Anyone know?


I thought the CSP was all metal, which is why it scratched so easily, as the ink could not adhere to the metal. But if it has a plastic outside layer, why does it scratch so much faster than a regular, plastic card?


It could be a different type of plastic on the outside. If you look at the side of the card you can actually see the metal core surrounded by plastic.


I've never seen one in person...lol. However, knowing it is not all metal, which would be more cool, and is covered in plastic, makes it a lot less cool in my eyes. I still want one though...lolSmiley Tongue!!!

 photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Highlighted
Established Member
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎03-30-2011
0

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred metal or half metal ?

Now I have the Chase united Club card and Marriott card and both are half metal but do feel good.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.