cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred or Barclay Arrival Plus?

tag
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred or Barclay Arrival Plus?

I know there is a lot of online articles on this exact topic. And in my personal opinion I lean towards CSP, BUT I'm looking for opinions here because I feel those online articles don't know as much as actual myfico users.

Main thing I'm looking for is points hacking.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred or Barclay Arrival Plus?

CSP has a better return on your points based on my understanding
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what you're wanting csp, it's a great card and if you're willing to put in the time the pints can be very valuable...the arrival plus is a great card but it's essentially a 2.22% cash back card, even though they call their points miles they aren't. It's got a great signup bonus but it only worth it over the double cash in theing run if you have very high non category spend (over $40k).
Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

The CSP wins if:

a) You can use the transfer partners

b) you are very flexible about dates so you can use award travel

and especially if your interest is in premium cabin international flights

But if you have little flexibility and just want to be able to get a rebate on a flight, then Arrival (or a no fee 2% cashback card) will be a good choice.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The vast majority of people are best served, long-term, by cash back cards. Use the cash back to buy economy tickets or whatever else you want.

Arrival+ only gives 0.2% more, once per year, and it has to be redeemed for travel to even get it. For this you get an annual fee and an inquiry? Grab the bonus if you want but it is not a keeper.

CSP only gives the cents/dollar returns you see in the blogosphere if you use it for luxury travel booked well in advance through Chase's site. Even then the ROI is inflated because, lets be real, most people redeeming UR for first class travel would never pay the cash price, so saying you got an $X ticket for $Y in spending is dishonest. A more fair comparison is the spend required for that first class ticket vs the spend required for an economy class ticket purchased with cash back, then compare the cash back you could've earned using a cashback card and ask if a few hours of amenities were worth it. For me, it's pretty much no and I will most likely ditch my CSP before its fee comes due.

My answer to your question is probably both, hit min spends, then downgrade or cancel before the fee is due. You may even just avoid the CSP for psychological reasons: luxury is a drug, don't risk an addiction that even rich people can't afford.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.