cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred swap to another Chase card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred swap to another Chase card?

It’s my own fault I didn’t check. Was stupid really. Super stupid in retrospect. Long story why I didnt.

But got approved for this card couple days ago for 30k. Was going to do balance transfers assuming I had the usual 0% for 12-18.

Not being a traveler I didn’t even realize they had certain cards catered for those who do and as such, I will not be able to take advantage of almost any of the benefits of this card. And any balance transfers are regular APR.

But here’s the confusing part. I called and spoke to a representative about changing it and she said that’s not possible Chase doesn’t allow converting one to another. I could only cancel and reapply. Which I’m not going to do.

But since then I have come across many articles on Google and even on this site that say not only can you convert, it’s fairly common????

WTH? Did I get a stupid representative or is this card that I have in some special category and won’t let you convert?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred swap to another Chase card?

You can product change the card but considering how new the account is you have to wait a year before you can. So in some way the rep was right.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for a fast response! And that explains everything, EXCEPT why the rep didn’t go on to give me the longer explanation vs the short one. Such is the life of customer reps now a days..
Message 3 of 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It is what it is even the higher line reps don't know everything and (this is not directed at you but in general) if the question/concern is not asked right that can confuse reps as well. Plus enviroment of a call center is not for everyone. Doesn't excuse it but it happens.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In this case it was not vital information and as such didn’t matter. In some cases the information you receive is more crucial and those are the areas you cannot afford to get wrong advice.

It has got to the point that I seldom if ever trust anything I’m told by any customer rep anymore. I also learned a very long time ago that if you don’t like the answer or are being denied a request, to simply hang up the phone and call back and talk to another rep!

Sometimes I will do that a 1/2 dozen times until I get the right representative who will give me what I want or can give a proper answer. Doesn’t work 100% of the time, but at least 60% it does. More than half at least making it worth the extra effort for the more critical situations.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically yeah wait a year, but dang I called chase recently about PCing my freedom unlimited to a freedom (which would be my 3rd freedom) which I got July 17 they were like sure no problem!

Kinda odd, but im not gonna do it quite yet, and im not even 100% sure I'll do it. See im getting the Spirit Airlines MasterCard eventually and it'll be my non category spend card as it gets 2 miles per dollar spent on all categories. For their redemption rates and the trips I wanna take, it makes more sense than the FU for me. So the FU can be freedom #3 (which I've never even really needed to go to freedom #2 even but going into that likelihood is a whole nother story), or it can be my alternative to the Spirit card in case I need more UR points for a specific thing and not so much Spirit miles...I'll probably end up just keeping it as an Unlimited.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it REALLY pisses me off that I made such a dumb ridiculous mistake because I should have known better. Every single card I have applied for in the last couple years all have 0% and I just got to the point in my brain that I thought it was an absolute given. Especially the upper tier cards like this one was, so I did not even bother to read the fine print I just applied and got approved and that’s was that.

I will say I was absolutely blown away at the initial starting credit limit. I never dreamed... so wanting it for balance transfers “could” have made having that balance WONDERFUL to do multiple vs one transfer.

I do eat out a lot and I guess there are other things I see I can use the points for like Amazon and that alone could wind up being a major advantage for me because I am a big buyer on Amazon (use it for both personal and business) so I am thinking that’s the way to go for my particular situation.
Message 7 of 18
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

It sounds like you want to do a 0% balance transfer.  I see you listing Citi Diamond Preferred in your signature block.  That card often has very good balance transfer offers.  Why not use it for the balance transfer and use the Chase Sapphire Preferred as your restaurant card?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already used it once and it was fantastic because it gave me 18 month at 0%!!!! I paid it off in 7 months vs 18. but there is no offer currently available for 0%, or any % for that matter and it just says to keep checking back. Would love for it to appear again
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't have one and you're still under 5/24 you can get the chase slate...
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.