cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred upgrade - Thoughts???

tag
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred upgrade - Thoughts???

So, I have had Chase Sapphire (regular) since mid-2009 and late last week sent an email to Chase cust serv about the CSP and what it would take to get it.  Got the response this morning. Not sure if they will waive the AF the first year and if the bonuses being offered right now, which are:

• Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM.
  • Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.

Not sure if I would get any of that since I am upgrading and not a new account.  Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://imgur.com/Xentwwt

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred upgrade - Thoughts???

@merlinflex wrote:

So, I have had Chase Sapphire (regular) since mid-2009 and late last week sent an email to Chase cust serv about the CSP and what it would take to get it.  Got the response this morning. Not sure if they will waive the AF the first year and if the bonuses being offered right now, which are:

• Earn 40,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $500 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate RewardsSM.
  • Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.

Not sure if I would get any of that since I am upgrading and not a new account.  Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

i am almost 100% positive you have to do an fresh apply of csp to get those bonuses PC to it won't cut it. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:

I have known people who didnt get the annual fee waived and the bonus points after converting form the regular sapphire to the sapphire prefered.  I think your best bet is to ring them and talk live.  I think that is better than sending the secure email in my opinion.  Keep us posted.

Message 3 of 51
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys, I plan on doing that in the next hour or so. Got my fingers crossed. Otherwise, I still think it is a good deal for the upgrade. Thoughts?
Message 4 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:
Thanks guys, I plan on doing that in the next hour or so. Got my fingers crossed. Otherwise, I still think it is a good deal for the upgrade. Thoughts?

Apply first for the Sapphire Preferred to get the bonus.  If it is a NO-GO, then settle for the upgrade.  All the best...

Message 5 of 51
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Will do, thanks! Will report back shortly!
Message 6 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:
Will do, thanks! Will report back shortly!

Any update?  They have to be in the giving spirit....

Message 7 of 51
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

Not yet, stuck on a conference call, working from home today. Should be done at 1:30pm EST and then calling them!
Message 8 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@merlinflex wrote:
Not yet, stuck on a conference call, working from home today. Should be done at 1:30pm EST and then calling them!

Ok.. I am also...Smiley Happy  Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Message 9 of 51
RaVeN50G
Valued Member

You will not get any bonus for doing an upgrade and you will be charged the annual fee, it will not be waived. For any offers you have to do a fresh application

TU: 707 (11/2014) EX: 696 (12/2014) EQ: 670 (12/2014) All Lender Pulls.
Short Term Goal: 700 Across the Board Long Term Goal: 750+
| Macy's: 1k | Barclay's Rewards: 3.3K | Quicksilver 3.8K | QuickSilverOne 1.5k | AMEX BCE 5.5K | DiscoverIT 6.1K |
USAA VISA Rewards 7K |
Last App 12/2014. In The Garden Till 12/2015... Hopefully
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.