Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. Amex Blue Sky Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. Amex Blue Sky Preferred

It seems that CSP is better for frequent/international travelers since points transfer 1:1 to FF and hotel programs + you get forex fees waived. BSP is better for moderate/domestic travelers since it's pure cash back and the AF can be entirely offset by the $100 airline allowance, i.e. you're not relying on spending to offset the AF.

Is that about right? Thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pkosheta
Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. Amex Blue Sky Preferred

Both cards have unique features that make them useful for certain types of travel. I like CSP for its free travel delay insurance. If I had a nickel for every time that could have come in handy before I got the card I'd have two handfuls of nickels plus a lot of free hotel nights and dinners reimbursed. Maybe I'm an unlucky traveler? But 100 dollars a year in credit statements for trip incidentals in exchange for a 75 dollar annual fee is basically AMEX begging you to take 25 dollars off of their hands. If you don't have a specific airline credit card I can't imagine you could go wrong with either. Also, both still allow you to get frequent flyer miles since CSP and AMEX effectively pick up the tab. Final Verdict win-win. But not quite win-win-win.
Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pkosheta wrote:
Both cards have unique features that make them useful for certain types of travel. I like CSP for its free travel delay insurance. If I had a nickel for every time that could have come in handy before I got the card I'd have two handfuls of nickels plus a lot of free hotel nights and dinners reimbursed. Maybe I'm an unlucky traveler? But 100 dollars a year in credit statements for trip incidentals in exchange for a 75 dollar annual fee is basically AMEX begging you to take 25 dollars off of their hands. If you don't have a specific airline credit card I can't imagine you could go wrong with either. Also, both still allow you to get frequent flyer miles since CSP and AMEX effectively pick up the tab. Final Verdict win-win. But not quite win-win-win.

I have the regular Blue Sky. Trying to figure out if its better to:

1. Upgrade to Blue Sky Preferred

2. Apply for CSP and consolidate Blue Sky credit line into BCE (my other Amex)

3. Leave things as they are

I don't see a clear benefit in choosing #1 or 2 from a monetary perspective, based on my spending. I travel mainly domestic, for leisure, about 3-4 times per year. I fly about 1/2 the time and drive the other 1/2. I stay in hotels on most trips. When I do fly, I don't check luggage and book the lowest fare regardless of airline since I don't fly enough to accrue any meaninful FF miles. I prefer to deal directly in cash back as opposed to having to track points in a bunch of different loyalty programs.

I was hoping those who are familiar with the benefits of either card can comment on them, which might be enough to offset the AF for me. I'm not familiar with travel delay insurance - what is it and is it a Visa Signature benefit or specific to CSP? Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pkosheta wrote:

I don't see a clear benefit in choosing #1 or 2 from a monetary perspective, based on my spending. I travel mainly domestic, for leisure, about 3-4 times per year. I fly about 1/2 the time and drive the other 1/2. I stay in hotels on most trips. When I do fly, I don't check luggage and book the lowest fare regardless of airline since I don't fly enough to accrue any meaninful FF miles. I prefer to deal directly in cash back as opposed to having to track points in a bunch of different loyalty programs.

I was hoping those who are familiar with the benefits of either card can comment on them, which might be enough to offset the AF for me. I'm not familiar with travel delay insurance - what is it and is it a Visa Signature benefit or specific to CSP? Thanks!

I have the Blue Sky Preffered and it seems to work for my spending.  The Amex Blue Sky is not real popular around here so you wont get that many comments.

Do you spend enough on incidentals to cover the AF?  If you spend over 75 on check bags then its worth it, if not then stay wear your at.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@flowfaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pkosheta wrote:

I have the Blue Sky Preffered and it seems to work for my spending.  The Amex Blue Sky is not real popular around here so you wont get that many comments.

Do you spend enough on incidentals to cover the AF?  If you spend over 75 on check bags then its worth it, if not then stay wear your at.

Thanks, I figured as much. I very rarely check bags so the AF is probably not worth it for me. Looks like the main benefit is in getting these flight incidentals waived.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.