Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. VISA Black Card Travel

tag
Networth
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. VISA Black Card Travel

Do tell how you got them to waive a $450 fee?

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 11 of 29
sandman2435
Established Contributor

All u have to do is show some kind of decent usege and then u give them a call and they will waive the fee

Message 12 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@sandman2435 wrote:

All u have to do is show some kind of decent usege and then u give them a call and they will waive the fee

With no annual fee, it'd be an awesome card!  At least top 5, if not the top spot.

Message 13 of 29
Stiga9
Regular Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

i read somewhere in the forums that one of the gripe regarding this particular card was that with an AF of $450, applicant(s) were only being approved for a cl of $500.

lmao...

Message 14 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Stiga9 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

i read somewhere in the forums that one of the gripe regarding this particular card was that with an AF of $450, applicant(s) were only being approved for a cl of $500.

lmao...

I can only remember one thread where someone made this claim, and that person made some other fantastic claims.  There may be other examples, but I mostly remember people repeating the same claim rather than providing additional data points. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 29
rlx01
Established Contributor

@sandman2435 wrote:

I have the Visa Black and was able to get the $450.00 fee waved and on top of that.got the sign up bonus as well.Which is 25K in points which is worth $250.00 in cash or $500.00 in travel

Or you can pay $89/year for the Arrival AF which comes with $440 in travel redemptions... Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

The 500 CL with 495 AF stories date all the way back to 2-3 years ago. Right now it is no longer possible due to the CARD act, since the law states that AF cannot be more than 25% of initial CL (or something along those lines). A simple search around this forums and other forums will net a number of these stories, though they may or may not be repeating the same data point. This was an issue not just with the black card, and it didn't sit well with regulators.

For a $495 AF card, it is hard to justify its worthiness. Many other $400+ AF cards offer much better and more perks, and it's not exactly fair to compare the black card to the CSP either, which has a $95 AF. The card may work out well for some, but for most it's probably just another fancy stainless steel and carbon fiber hybrid card.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

At the risk of highlighting a moment where I posted some perhaps less than helpful commentary, here is the thread I remember with the claim to the $500 limit Visa black card.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Approved-for-Visa-Black-card/td-p/938890/highlight/true

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 29
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Walt_K wrote:

At the risk of highlighting a moment where I posted some perhaps less than helpful commentary, here is the thread I remember with the claim to the $500 limit Visa black card.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Approved-for-Visa-Black-card/td-p/938890/highlight/true

Most embarrassing credit card

Last year, we called the Visa Black Card the "least premium" premium credit card on the market. This year, we're just going to start a support group for anyone who thinks it's okay to spend extra money on a carbon-constructed card designed to mimic an American Express Centurion Card . It's like carrying a fake Louis Vuitton handbag, but without the joy of knowing that you only paid a few bucks for the knockoff.

Post-recession frugality is hotter than hot right now. If you're not carrying the "real" black card, let yourself get seen swiping a card that actually saves you money. Barclaycard, the Black Card's issuer, actually expanded the market for their superior Barclaycard Ring low interest card over the past year. Alternately, a Chase Sapphire Preferred account comes with far more practical perks and privileges, with cash back rewards and an annual fee less than a fifth of the Black Card's.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/cardratingscoms-hall-of-shame-worst-credit-cards-of-2012-cm211037#ixzz...

Message 19 of 29
jeffrey_MBP
Contributor

I really would not compare the Centurion Card since it's initiaion fee is 7500 and AF is 2500.  Barclays is marketing as the premier VISA card ( why it's not a VISA Signature, again, no clue).  The annual fee is a bit much; however, I have used the concierge service twice and it worked to my satisfaction.  I'm okay with the AF - waived or not - since I do enjoy the travel rewards.  It's also 0% APR for this first year, not bad for balance transfers.  Some of the bashing articles are completely outdated and lack any recent substanance to the situation.

I won't deny that the Arrival card is a pretty good one too and, yes, perhaps Barclays should do a better job of differentiating their product line.  I think over the past year they've done a pretty good job at improving the benefits considering the disasterous reviews upon initial launch.  

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.