cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred with no CC History?

tag
snowsurf7
Established Member

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred with no CC History?

Some banks just must hate me! AMEX denied me and so did Discover Smiley Sad I thought not having student loans (very lucky) would help me but I guess not! 

Congrats on the approaval! Smiley Happy

Discover IT, BofA Cash Rewards, Citi Forward, AMEX Green, CapitalOne Cash Rewards, Chase Freedom, Wal-Mart Store
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that snowsurf, did you call the recon numbers? I think having student loans could actually help, assuming you are paying it off, since their reported age is when they were first issued, typically when you are a freshman. But of course am more than happy to pay them down rapidly as I am doing.

I am thinking of calling Amex tomorrow to be upgraded to the PRG-if possible-since the first year is free, I can always downgrade to green before I have to pay the AF.

Message 22 of 28
snowsurf7
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear that snowsurf, did you call the recon numbers? I think having student loans could actually help, assuming you are paying it off, since their reported age is when they were first issued, typically when you are a freshman. But of course am more than happy to pay them down rapidly as I am doing.

I am thinking of calling Amex tomorrow to be upgraded to the PRG-if possible-since the first year is free, I can always downgrade to green before I have to pay the AF.

Yeah I reconed and no dice! Oh well I really don't NEED those cards so I am not gonna cry about it Smiley Very Happy I don't have any student loans which I am super happy about being able to say Smiley Happy but it does give me a somewhat disadvantage credit wise, but hey I would rather not have them!!!

Give it a go on the PRG they worst they could say is no!

Discover IT, BofA Cash Rewards, Citi Forward, AMEX Green, CapitalOne Cash Rewards, Chase Freedom, Wal-Mart Store
Message 23 of 28
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Here's some info from earlier this week on student loans: 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Need-some-advice-please-CC-s-and-SL-s/m-p/1869767#M5199...

utilization link on the way

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 24 of 28
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/my-cc-debt-how-much-should-i-pay-off-to-keep-my-util-at...

That one is brief, but might be helpful. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/To-Pay-or-Not-to-Pay-that-is-the-Question/m-p/1827489#M...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/1-credit-card-usage-versus-0/m-p/1857307#M516661snac

Those are much more detailed.

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 25 of 28
distantarray
Established Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

I think the CSP is out of your reach.  The CSP has a minimum $5k credit line since it is a Visa Signature.  Chase generally does not like to give borrowers their first $5k limit card.  Also, as mentioned before, they like to see at least a year's worth or credit history.  If you want it in the near future, you probably could have someone co-sign for you.

Not always true, my friend has a 730 credit score and I didn't realize her credit history was only 7 months, she has only 2 credit cards at $300 limits total of $600, and 1 car payment and she was approved for a Chase Sapphire. Maybe because she's making payments on a new BMW not sure lol. She was also approved for American Airlines credit card recently.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 26 of 28
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Edited my previous posts with the correct links.  My apologies for the mix up.

Message 27 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

CSP is definitely out of your reach at this point.

CONGRATS on the AMEX approval, the advice for that card would be only charge what you can afford to pay off monthly, it is a charge card.

I agree with a previous poster on going for a Chase freedom January of next year, you need at least one card with a year of positive history (YMMV of course) but that seems to be the norm with them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.