Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Amex Plat

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Amex Plat

@redpat wrote:

It's very simple, CSR is a great credit card for reward travel and Plat in a great travel card for perks and benefits.  

There is really no sense to compare both of them because that would be like comparing apples and oranges.

I have both of them and I wouldn't drop either of them.

That's what I always thought to in general about Amex Plat, but it seems like CSR covers most of those perks and benefits.  What I'm wondering is which ones exactly doesn't it cover. 

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Priority Pass does not include Delta or Amex Centurion lounge access.

So.. As an Amex Plat card member I can only go to Centurion out of the Priority Pass? I also thought since Delta is partnered with Amex, Amex Plat members can get access. Is that correct?

I heard the restrictions were for AA and United.

No that's not at all what I said. Priority Pass does not include access to Delta or Centurion lounges.  Thus, a CSR (or Citi Prestige, or any other card that gives PP membership) will not give you free access to Delta or Centurion lounges. 

To get free access to those 2,you will need an Amex. The Platinum card gets you into both Centurion and Delta lounges by itself, and additionally gets you PP membership so you can access that lounge network as well. 

Make sense now? 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Priority Pass does not include Delta or Amex Centurion lounge access.

So.. As an Amex Plat card member I can only go to Centurion out of the Priority Pass? I also thought since Delta is partnered with Amex, Amex Plat members can get access. Is that correct?

I heard the restrictions were for AA and United.

No that's not at all what I said. Priority Pass does not include access to Delta or Centurion lounges.  Thus, a CSR (or Citi Prestige, or any other card that gives PP membership) will not give you free access to Delta or Centurion lounges. 

To get free access to those 2,you will need an Amex. The Platinum card gets you into both Centurion and Delta lounges by itself, and additionally gets you PP membership so you can access that lounge network as well. 

Make sense now? 

Yup! Makes sense now.. Thanks..

Message 13 of 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

It's very simple, CSR is a great credit card for reward travel and Plat in a great travel card for perks and benefits.  

There is really no sense to compare both of them because that would be like comparing apples and oranges.

I have both of them and I wouldn't drop either of them.

That's what I always thought to in general about Amex Plat, but it seems like CSR covers most of those perks and benefits.  What I'm wondering is which ones exactly doesn't it cover. 

CSR doesn't give you as many perks.

Amex gives you centurion and delta lounges, hilton, spg and marriott gold status, The Hotel Collection, Fine Hotel Resorts benefits which has better perks than luxury hotel and resorts (CSR has) along w/ better car rental status.  Also new you can call to see if you can get better AA flight pricing though concierge.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info guys

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because it hasn't been mentioned yet, it is also worth noting what OTHER cards you have in your portfolio. If you are someone who is already using the INK, FU, or F than the CSR can be a great multiplier for UR points you are already earning. Likewise an ED, EDP, Gold Rewards can help you earn MR points.

While you don't need to be a big spender to take advantage of multiple reward programs, the average individual would get more benefit of sticking within a single rewards network and not diluting points across networks. 

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the Amex Platinum, but a large part of that is because amex backs their members if any problems ever were to occur which gives me great confidence in always using it. Not to say other lenders dont, I just find it more smoother with amex if that makes sense. The Plat card is my favorite card at this point and in addition to what I said, also theres 5x pts for airline purchases, FHR....just got an email about having offers for the 4th night free, then theres those AMEX offers in the bottom that gives you pts for stores and restaurants near you, centruion lounge is great compared to other airport lounges imo, etc. 

Message 17 of 19
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Because it hasn't been mentioned yet, it is also worth noting what OTHER cards you have in your portfolio. If you are someone who is already using the INK, FU, or F than the CSR can be a great multiplier for UR points you are already earning. Likewise an ED, EDP, Gold Rewards can help you earn MR points.

While you don't need to be a big spender to take advantage of multiple reward programs, the average individual would get more benefit of sticking within a single rewards network and not diluting points across networks. 

This is a good point.

Most people do well to stick with a single network, just for pure point-generation ability. I do a fair bit of business travel that is paid out of pocket and reimbursed, so in addition to our normal spend, I probably average around $1k per month that's not on my personal books. That helps me with spreading out the dollars to whichever program I'm targeting at the moment.

Just as a personal note, though, I would think that most people considering Amex Plat or CSR have a healthy spend rate. I could have afforded the AF 10 years ago, and would have used some of the benefits, but I would've been hard-pressed to actually recoup that $450 annually in any quanitfiable way. I'm sure that some see it as a status thing, but the majority keep it around for practical purposes.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 18 of 19
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@accidentalpancake wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a good point.

Most people do well to stick with a single network, just for pure point-generation ability. I do a fair bit of business travel that is paid out of pocket and reimbursed, so in addition to our normal spend, I probably average around $1k per month that's not on my personal books. That helps me with spreading out the dollars to whichever program I'm targeting at the moment.

Just as a personal note, though, I would think that most people considering Amex Plat or CSR have a healthy spend rate. I could have afforded the AF 10 years ago, and would have used some of the benefits, but I would've been hard-pressed to actually recoup that $450 annually in any quanitfiable way. I'm sure that some see it as a status thing, but the majority keep it around for practical purposes.

The annual fee for the CSR is only $150 per year if you include the yearly $300 travel credit. That $150 is easy for me to recoup without spending at baller level. I prefer the CSR over the Platinum because it gives me 3X pts across all travel categories while Amex would only give me 5X pts only on air travel. I dont fly all that much but I do commute a lot living in NYC. So right there my travel spend is huge.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.