Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Amex Plat

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Amex Plat

Looking at both the CSR looks fantastic. Is there any advantage at all to the Amex Plat at this point?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserved vs Amex Plat

If you fly often, and have a Centurion Lounge at the airport(s) that you frequent, that alone gives the edge to the Amex for me. Then you also get the Priority Pass Select  and Delta lounges as well. You also get Gold status with Starwood and Hilton. I don't remember seeing that on the CSR.

I have a Sapphire Preferred, which gets me 2x points in the same categories as the 3x on the CSR, and I get Centurion Lounge access with my Amex Plat in addition to the MR points.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve vs Amex Plat

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at both the CSR looks fantastic. Is there any advantage at all to the Amex Plat at this point?

CSR wins this hands down In my opinon me telling you this as an AMEX Plat cardmember.

CSR has $300 Travel Credit VS Amex $200 Credit tied to one Airline for a yr.

CSR is a Credit Card means you are allowed to carry balance VS Amex Plat Charge Card needs balance PIF every month.

These are just some examples.. Why I did chose Amex Plat over CSR? Well only reason was 5/24. If I was not Chase 5/24 I would have the CSR over the Amex Plat.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both and both have pluses and very few minors to me. The CSR is an all around better card to me, but if you travel extensively AND would get use out of the Centurion lounges then Amex would be better. I live in Houston and go to the Centurion lounge all the time and can tell you having visited a few priority pass lounges that the centurion is hands down better. Amex has 5x airline points and the centurion lounge access. To me those are the two big pluses. The CSR gives you a higher travel credit and 3x dining and travel which is why I said it is an all around better card. Both are great but unless you travel a ton then the CSR is better in my opinion.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main benefits are related to lounge access and transfer partners. I fly Delta mostly, being in a hub city, so having their lounge access and them as a transfer partner is great.

I would like CSR for the added perks beyond CSP but can definitely wait for another 100k offer once I am under 5/24
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the CSR not give access to Centurion lounges?  They state 900+ lounges, but not which ones.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The main benefits are related to lounge access and transfer partners. I fly Delta mostly, being in a hub city, so having their lounge access and them as a transfer partner is great.

I would like CSR for the added perks beyond CSP but can definitely wait for another 100k offer once I am under 5/24

I thought both cards have Priority Pass Access?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Priority Pass does not include Delta or Amex Centurion lounge access.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Priority Pass does not include Delta or Amex Centurion lounge access.

So.. As an Amex Plat card member I can only go to Centurion out of the Priority Pass? I also thought since Delta is partnered with Amex, Amex Plat members can get access. Is that correct?

I heard the restrictions were for AA and United.

Message 9 of 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

It's very simple, CSR is a great credit card for reward travel and Plat in a great travel card for perks and benefits.  

There is really no sense to compare both of them because that would be like comparing apples and oranges.

I have both of them and I wouldn't drop either of them.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.