Chase Sapphire Reserve

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve

@jawbrkr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@shirleyland wrote:

Ok, I get it! But she goes on to say, I could get the card by doing a " Product changes and allocating funds from my other cards. Why would I want to do this? I would not get the bonus points ( 100,000)

Several people here have gone the PC route, when they were over 5/24.   This is because, for some people, the card is valuable in its own right, without the bonus: additional URs on travel/dining, lounge access is worth the effective $150 AF.    And the belief is that once under 5/24, you can downgrade the card and then apply for the CSR and get the bonus  (Chase has a once per 24 month rule).   As we saw, the bonus is likely to be 50K but for those with no way of getting the 100K, this is the way to get a useful card now, and some bonus later on.

Yep! I went that route.

I did as well and it has worked out great so far.  Sure I wish I could have applied for the 100K offer but I was nowhere near 5/24 or going to be anytime soon.  The cards that I have added have given me valuefar exceeding the 100K UR points so it is not something that I regret.

Message 11 of 19
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jawbrkr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@shirleyland wrote:

Ok, I get it! But she goes on to say, I could get the card by doing a " Product changes and allocating funds from my other cards. Why would I want to do this? I would not get the bonus points ( 100,000)

Several people here have gone the PC route, when they were over 5/24.   This is because, for some people, the card is valuable in its own right, without the bonus: additional URs on travel/dining, lounge access is worth the effective $150 AF.    And the belief is that once under 5/24, you can downgrade the card and then apply for the CSR and get the bonus  (Chase has a once per 24 month rule).   As we saw, the bonus is likely to be 50K but for those with no way of getting the 100K, this is the way to get a useful card now, and some bonus later on.

Yep! I went that route.

I did as well and it has worked out great so far.  Sure I wish I could have applied for the 100K offer but I was nowhere near 5/24 or going to be anytime soon.  The cards that I have added have given me valuefar exceeding the 100K UR points so it is not something that I regret.

I would have applied outright as well but I knew I was not going to meet that kind of spend over the coming three months. After that, certainly. Also, I didnt want to add another new account. I am trying to garden for a bit. I actually had to get a CLI to bring me over the minimum 10K required. I took one INQ on EX which didnt affect my score so that was all good by me.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 12 of 19
ChicAndFabulous
Valued Member

I actually went into a branch today and asked the banker to check any preapprovals before I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I had checked online to see if I would prequalify for any cards, and I was, for Slate and Chase Sapphire Preferred. She checked my preapprovals in the system, and I showed NONE! I was shocked. I also don't bank at Chase, but was confused why I showed I was preapproved online for CSP and Slate, but not in the branch. I told her to go ahead and apply for it. I waited an hour in the branch to see a banker, so I figured what the hey! I got instantly approved for $16,000. She said to me, "You must have ridiculously good credit because you're honestly the very first person that's gotten instantly approved for the Reserve because it's our elite card." I laughed and said, "I used to have really horrible credit several years ago and just now getting it in the 700s." She said she always has to call in and speak to underwriter because they have to either verify income or they're trying to get recon, and I'm the first they instantly approved. She said she's even had several private clients that have gotten flat out denied or requiring 30-day review before a decision is made. Ha! I am BEYOND happy!!!! I got the 100k point bonus if i spend $4,000 in first 3 months and should get the card in 5 business days. I was approved for $16,000 right away but she did say a lot of people have gotten higher limits by the time they got the card. $16,000 is plenty for me, so can't complain!

Here's background on me:
Income: $202,000
Mortgage for almost 3 years
My scores below are all FICO 8 from here
EQ: 686
TU: 711
EX: 722
I was a little worried about the 5/24 because I have opened a lot of store cards in the past 24 months (Ann Taylor, CareCredit, Nordstrom, AA card - not Citi) and opened Amex Premier Rewards Gold and Amex Blue Cash in 2015. But I read that the store cards don't count towards the 5/24, but you never know. So happy!! Finally, Chase has welcomed me into their family!!!!!!
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI, the sign up bonus is no longer 100k. It went down to 50k on Jan 13, 2017.

Additionally you should PC if the benefits suit you. $300 travel credit brings the AF to only $150. For me 3% on travel and dining pays for itself. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Additionally you should PC if the benefits suit you. $300 travel credit brings the AF to only $150. For me 3% on travel and dining pays for itself. 

Chase extended the 100K for in branch applications until March 12th

Message 15 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Online is 50K, in branch is still 100K until sometime in March

Message 16 of 19
shirleyland
Valued Member

You got lucky because my banker said they were not doing the prequalify at the branch.

Message 17 of 19
shirleyland
Valued Member

Thats not true. You have until March 12, 2017 to go into your Chase branch  for the 100,000 bonus . You're right about online though.

Message 18 of 19
shirleyland
Valued Member

I actually went into a branch today and asked the banker to check any preapprovals before I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I had checked online to see if I would prequalify for any cards, and I was, for Slate and Chase Sapphire Preferred. She checked my preapprovals in the system, and I showed NONE! I was shocked. I also don't bank at Chase, but was confused why I showed I was preapproved online for CSP and Slate, but not in the branch. I told her to go ahead and apply for it. I waited an hour in the branch to see a banker, so I figured what the hey! I got instantly approved for $16,000. She said to me, "You must have ridiculously good credit because you're honestly the very first person that's gotten instantly approved for the Reserve because it's our elite card." I laughed and said, "I used to have really horrible credit several years ago and just now getting it in the 700s." She said she always has to call in and speak to underwriter because they have to either verify income or they're trying to get recon, and I'm the first they instantly approved. She said she's even had several private clients that have gotten flat out denied or requiring 30-day review before a decision is made. Ha! I am BEYOND happy!!!! I got the 100k point bonus if i spend $4,000 in first 3 months and should get the card in 5 business days. I was approved for $16,000 right away but she did say a lot of people have gotten higher limits by the time they got the card. $16,000 is plenty for me, so can't complain!

Here's background on me:
Income: $202,000
Mortgage for almost 3 years
My scores below are all FICO 8 from here
EQ: 686
TU: 711
EX: 722
I was a little worried about the 5/24 because I have opened a lot of store cards in the past 24 months (Ann Taylor, CareCredit, Nordstrom, AA card - not Citi) and opened Amex Premier Rewards Gold and Amex Blue Cash in 2015. But I read that the store cards don't count towards the 5/24, but you never know. So happy!! Finally, Chase has welcomed me into their family!!!!!!

Congrats!
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.