Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserved Vs. Ritz Carlton

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserved Vs. Ritz Carlton

@Kenro wrote:

Only reason why you would use ritz is because its full metal against Reserve. We've had discussion in other thread, Reserve gets you more % return even at marriot stays rather than RItz card.

This is just plain false. 

I can easily get 1.5CPP with marriott points. I earn 18 points per dollar. On a $100 hotel stay, I earn 1800 points. at a value of 1.5CPP we get $27 back

At a VERY generous valuation of even 3CPP on chase UR points, earning 3 points per dollar, and assuming you are a standard marriott member, you'll earn 1000 points back from marriott, valued at 1.5CPP, earning $15, plus 300 ultimate rewards points, earning $9 there. 

Ritz carlton card - $27

CSR card - $24

While these values can be greatly changed based on whether or not you have hotel elite status, many on this board will not maintain marriott elite status withut the ritz card. 

Feel free to check my math, I've been wrong before. 

Message 11 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Kenro wrote:

@elim wrote:

@Kenro wrote:

Only reason why you would use ritz is because its full metal against Reserve. We've had discussion in other thread, Reserve gets you more % return even at marriot stays rather than RItz card.

Do what now? Can you explain?  I can't see the math after the first stay (and $300 credit). I made more than $300+ back on RC my first stay alone on RC.

At Ritz Carlton with Club upgrade and 100$ credit Ritz still wins. At Marriot none of these benefits apply, I don't remember word for word but CSR gets more value because basic marriot membership + 3 UR points is worth more than marriot gold + 5 Marriot/Ritz points. I think it was like 6 vs 8 percent.

While the club level upgrade certificates and $100 hotel credit don't apply, the marriott gold status gets you automatic club level access at ANY full service marriott with a lounge, anywhere in the world. This is where hotel elite status value comes into play. 

Breakfast in a full service hotel can range from $20-$50+ dollars. You get it for 2 people, every day of your stay. Figure $30 per person, 2 people, 5 night stay. 

thats $60/day, for 5 days. $300

But wait, the lounge also serves snacks, has free soft drinks, some have free alcohol, serves a small meal at night, as well as dessert. Call that, conservatively an extra $10/day/person. So now we're looking at $80 a day, for 5 days, plus $20 for the first night. 

$80*5=$400, plus the extra $20, is $420

But the first day shouldn't count for the full $20, because you weren't there as long as you would be. And neither should the last day. But oh, wait, the hotel let you check in at 9AM, and then also let you check out at 4PM, because you have elite status. 

Oh, and your room you paid $100 for...well they upgraded you to an executive suite, the rack rate for which is $250/night. 

#Value

Message 12 of 14
ddemari
Super Contributor

the ritz card is great if you stay at their properties and utilize marriott rewards. someone who is staying at a ritz property 15-20 times a year is someone who is putting a large spend on that card. the points rack up fast if you travel a lot. otherwise its a nice card card with a 300 travel credit, which i have always been able to use no problems. 

Message 13 of 14
awp317
Frequent Contributor

IM trying to decide whether to keep my ritz or not. I do stay there whenever I can. IM applying for the CSR no question. What is the question is whether I'm at my internal limit or not with chase. IM going to kill off my CSP no matter what. Would be really nice to get another 25k approval with the CSR and move over the 25k to CSP and have two 50k limit chases lol. but 900 a year in AF is really tough to swallow. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.