Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserved Vs. Ritz Carlton

tag
trant3
Established Contributor

Chase Sapphire Reserved Vs. Ritz Carlton

Can someone help point out key differences between the two cards (benefits)? I think I have a pretty good understanding of the Ritz but saw the hype with the CSR (reserve) and dont know too much about it. I plan on going for one of the two once the reserve is available. Thanks

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserved Vs. Ritz Carlton

I don't know to be certain, but I would surmise the CSR has a broader and more versatile benefit.
FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only reason you'd go for the Ritz over the CSR is:

A) You stay on/at Ritz properties alot

B) You want the bling bling of the metal Ritz card
Message 3 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The ritz card does not relate to Ritz hotels only. Possibly when the reserve is actually released I will make a breakdown similar to what I did for Marriott, and citi thank you as I'm sure this question will come up quite a few times, between all the "premium" travel cards.

Ritz card earns hotel specific rewards points. They're good at any marriott or ritz property. Ritz card also grants gold status (free first year, with 10k spend each year after that) or platinum status with 75k yearly spend. The marriott gold status is the real meat and potatoes of benefits, but they'll only help you out at marriott properties. (Unless you can get a status match to other hotel chains).

The CSR earns ultimate rewards points, similar to the CSP or Ink+.

Ultimate rewards points can be transferred to any of chase's partners, or be redeemed directly for travel through the ultimate rewards travel portal.

Many of the Visa benefits will be the same, however, whereas the Ritz' $300 credit is for airline purchases only, (and only specific ones at that), it's been said that the CSRs $300 credit is for ANY travel purchase.

Both will get priority pass, both will get TSA PreCheck/Global Entry Credits. Both get the $100 airline credit as Visa Infinite Cards, Both get the primary rental insurance, and blah blah blah.

The cards are different, mainly in terms of what, and how they earn rewards points.

Ultimate Rewards vs Marriott rewards points.

Ultimate rewards are substantially more flexibile, however, if you enjoy hotel elite status the ritz card is among the best hotel cards out there in terms of pure bang for your buck.

To learn more about the marriott rewards program check out my post describing it, an the different card options.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-Guide-to-Marriott-Ritz-Carlton-Rewards-an...

Message 4 of 14
Kenro
Regular Contributor

Only reason why you would use ritz is because its full metal against Reserve. We've had discussion in other thread, Reserve gets you more % return even at marriot stays rather than RItz card.

Message 5 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

These cards are in NO way direct competitors, and comparing them to each other SOLELY on points earning is a flawed technique.

The benefits given to you by marriott gold status (or platinum if you spend that much) easily add another $1000+ in value to the card (and can increase substantially based on your annual nights spent at marriott properties).

You are all more than welcome to your opinions, and the CSR might be a better card for plenty of people, but spewing out the same half of a story in every post keeps pertinent information from making it to members who could potentially get a ton of value out of tons of credit cards. 

If we based everything SOLELY off of points earnings, no one would apply for any benefit heavy credit card. The real comparison here would be CSR, vs Amex Plat, vs Citi prestige. 

Message 6 of 14
Kenro
Regular Contributor

Way it works is that Ritz is a great card to spend 10k annually (ritz/marriot gold) and forget about its existance for the rest of the year.

Day to day spending Ritz cant even compete with CSP let alone Reserve.

Message 7 of 14
elim
Senior Contributor

@Kenro wrote:

Only reason why you would use ritz is because its full metal against Reserve. We've had discussion in other thread, Reserve gets you more % return even at marriot stays rather than RItz card.

Do what now? Can you explain?  I can't see the math after the first stay (and $300 credit). I made more than $300+ back on RC my first stay alone on RC.

Message 8 of 14
elim
Senior Contributor

@Kenro wrote:

Way it works is that Ritz is a great card to spend 10k annually (ritz/marriot gold) and forget about its existance for the rest of the year.

Day to day spending Ritz cant even compete with CSP let alone Reserve.

You use RC at Marriotts for 10k+ per year. That is how it's done. It is NOT a daily driver silly It's a Marriott card.

Message 9 of 14
Kenro
Regular Contributor

@elim wrote:

@Kenro wrote:

Do what now? Can you explain?  I can't see the math after the first stay (and $300 credit). I made more than $300+ back on RC my first stay alone on RC.

At Ritz Carlton with Club upgrade and 100$ credit Ritz still wins. At Marriot none of these benefits apply, I don't remember word for word but CSR gets more value because basic marriot membership + 3 UR points is worth more than marriot gold + 5 Marriot/Ritz points. I think it was like 6 vs 8 percent.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.