Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire/UR Question

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Chase Sapphire/UR Question

So, I have a Chase Freedom.

I have a Hyatt VISA from Chase.

Apparently, there's a way to transfer UR points from one to the other, but it involves the Sapphire.

Obviously, I'm better off trying to transfer UR points. 15,000 points could easily equal a free room worth almost 300 dollars. That's double the value right there in points alone.

So I have two questions:

(1) Has anyone ever actually been able to transfer from the Freedom to a loyalty program? I "tried" seeing and it'll actually let you input the card number, if you want. Not to say, it might be successful. I'm guessing they wouldn't let you just "do that".

(2) Is transferring UR points from Freedom ----> Sapphire ----> Loyalty Program, something that can be achieved with the regular version of the Sapphire, and NOT the Preferred?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire/UR Question

@FrugalRican wrote:

So, I have a Chase Freedom.

I have a Hyatt VISA from Chase.

Apparently, there's a way to transfer UR points from one to the other, but it involves the Sapphire.

Obviously, I'm better off trying to transfer UR points. 15,000 points could easily equal a free room worth almost 300 dollars. That's double the value right there in points alone.

So I have two questions:

(1) Has anyone ever actually been able to transfer from the Freedom to a loyalty program? I "tried" seeing and it'll actually let you input the card number, if you want. Not to say, it might be successful. I'm guessing they wouldn't let you just "do that".

(2) Is transferring UR points from Freedom ----> Sapphire ----> Loyalty Program, something that can be achieved with the regular version of the Sapphire, and NOT the Preferred?

I have a Freedom and a Sapphire Preferred:

1. I haven't tried transferring from Freedom to a loyalty program because it doesn't give me that option in the Freedom's UR menu; If I switch to the CSP's UR page then it gives me the option.

2. To send points to a loyalty program you must have a Sapphire Preferred.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
bribro
Valued Contributor

You have to use a Sapphire Preferred card to transfer points to travel partners; the regular Sapphire card doesn't have that feature. The JPM Select, JPM Palladium and Ink Bold cards also allow transferring to travel partners.

I have recently done exactly what you're talking about. I transferred points from Freedom to CSP, then CSP to Hyatt Gold Passport. I booked a nice suite at a Hyatt affiliiate and ended up getting ~$.026/point in value, which means I was getting >13% "cash back" equivalent value for Freedom 5% categories.

If you're booking a hotel and trying to get the most value for your UR points, Hyatt is the way to go. Marriott, Intercontinental/Priority Club, and Ritz-Carlton usually get you ~.01/1 point, which means you might as well get plain cash back.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 4
FrugalRican
Blogger

That's what I realized as well.

I'm racking points far faster on the Freedom because of the 10-10. I have accumulated bout 15,000 in about 6 months.
It'd take me forever to get that on the Hyatt Visa card.

I'll have to mull this over.

Thanks for the help guys.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.