Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire for Car Rental

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Chase Sapphire for Car Rental

Heading out of town for a couple of days and going to rent a car from Enterprise.  Going to use my Chase Sapphire Card ..........do I get 2X points for car rental......also plan to use the collision insurance waiver with this card also.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire for Car Rental

Looking for a reply here.

If its the CSP, its 2x points, not sure, whats it for Sapphire. I rent from enterprise very frequently but I am not sure of whether the insurance actually works. I have heard the car rental collision waiver from them but would like to hear, if somebody actually could utilize this insurance service. They have a roadside assistance that comes with the visa signature but thats 59.95 per service call. 

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chaselover wrote:

Looking for a reply here.

If its the CSP, its 2x points, not sure, whats it for Sapphire. I rent from enterprise very frequently but I am not sure of whether the insurance actually works. I have heard the car rental collision waiver from them but would like to hear, if somebody actually could utilize this insurance service. They have a roadside assistance that comes with the visa signature but thats 59.95 per service call. 

Haven't used it with the CSP here, but when I've rented cars with AMEX, I always bought the Premium coverage for $19.95. (I think it's $24.95 now)

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you get 2x points for auto rentals. Pretty sure I got 2x points from Hertz when I used it last. 

Also see this for more info on what falls under travel for CSP (a little dated regarding some info, but definition of travel is still current far as I know) - http://thepointsguy.com/2011/10/chase-sapphire-preferred-details-on-2x-points-per-dollar-on-travel-b...

Message 4 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Look in your card papers since the Sapphire is no longer available online. I thought it was for dining only ... CSP is 2 x

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

Look in your card papers since the Sapphire is no longer available online. I thought it was for dining only ... CSP is 2 x

You are correct. I assumed it was the preferred version of the card. If it is the regular sapphire, no 2x on travel. 

Message 6 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

Going to use my Chase Sapphire Card ..........do I get 2X points for car rental......

You'd need to clarify if you have the Preferred or not but you can always refer to this:

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/assets/page/Online_Rewards_FAQ

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

Heading out of town for a couple of days and going to rent a car from Enterprise.  Going to use my Chase Sapphire Card ..........do I get 2X points for car rental......also plan to use the collision insurance waiver with this card also.

I don't have Sapphire but I had rental car damage paid for by VISA before
I used my BoA Visa Sig for rental car
I scrape the bottom of the front bumper parking the car where I was staying
National rental car sent me a bill for $800
I called Visa had to put together some paper work (copy of license, car insurance, rental agreement and credit card statement)
Scanned and emailed VISA
couple of weeks later received email saying it was taken care of
I'm sure any Visa card would be the same
Be sure to opt out for any insurance rental car company offer

Message 8 of 19
Kellan
Regular Contributor

I have worked for a car rental company and also had an accedent in a rental car. There are a couple importiant things to note. First you will want to make sure your credit card offers primary coverage. My CSP and Chase United card does. Otherwise if you have an accendent it will bill your car insurance first. 

Secondly most of the time the rental agents will tell you that you need their coverage anyway because they will not work with the credit card companies. That is not true in my experience. Alamo sent me paperwork right away asking me for my credit card insurance info.

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 9 of 19
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

I don't have Sapphire but I had rental car damage paid for by VISA before
I used my BoA Visa Sig for rental car
I scrape the bottom of the front bumper parking the car where I was staying
National rental car sent me a bill for $800
I called Visa had to put together some paper work (copy of license, car insurance, rental agreement and credit card statement)
Scanned and emailed VISA
couple of weeks later received email saying it was taken care of
I'm sure any Visa card would be the same
Be sure to opt out for any insurance rental car company offer

Hi,

The car insurance that you mentioned is for your primary car ? So, do you need to keep your insurance active on your primary car active when you rent a car if you need insurance ? 

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.