cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire --> Freedom PC = no go??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire --> Freedom PC = no go??

@Man-Of-Steelwrote:

There are a couple of good videos regarding the Chase Product Change options on Youtube.  From what I understand, if your CSP account is 12 months old or older, you can PC directly to the Freedom.  However, if your account is less than 12 months old, you have to use the following workaround:   CSP-->CS-->Freedom Unlimited-->Freedom.

I got my CSP in 10/2017 and I'm also planning to eventually PC it to the Freedom.  I might wait until it turns exactly 1 year old and go directly to the Freedom (as I believe the annual fee will be refundable), or I might PC to the CS before the 1 year anniversary and then PC directly to the Freedom.

Thanks for weighing in on the subject, MoS.

So, if I simply wait it out and cross the 1 year mark, would I then be able to PC from the CS to the Freedom simply because the account [started as a CSP] hit 1 year? 

I guess there's no harm in doing the PC to FU tomorrow just to get the process going.

It seems like a lot of unnecessary hoop-jumping to be honest and just a waste of time/energy both on my part and Chase.  I mean, they have to go through the process of speaking to me 2 extra times, sending me 2 extra (unnecessary) cards that are just going to get cut right up and of course the costs associated with the above.  Granted, the percentage of people out there outside of this forum that doa CSP --> CS --> FU --> Freedom PC is probably a fraction of a percentage point, but still.

Message 11 of 38
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Man-Of-Steelwrote:

There are a couple of good videos regarding the Chase Product Change options on Youtube.  From what I understand, if your CSP account is 12 months old or older, you can PC directly to the Freedom.  However, if your account is less than 12 months old, you have to use the following workaround:   CSP-->CS-->Freedom Unlimited-->Freedom.

I got my CSP in 10/2017 and I'm also planning to eventually PC it to the Freedom.  I might wait until it turns exactly 1 year old and go directly to the Freedom (as I believe the annual fee will be refundable), or I might PC to the CS before the 1 year anniversary and then PC directly to the Freedom.

Thanks for weighing in on the subject, MoS.

So, if I simply wait it out and cross the 1 year mark, would I then be able to PC from the CS to the Freedom simply because the account [started as a CSP] hit 1 year? 

I guess there's no harm in doing the PC to FU tomorrow just to get the process going.

It seems like a lot of unnecessary hoop-jumping to be honest and just a waste of time/energy both on my part and Chase.  I mean, they have to go through the process of speaking to me 2 extra times, sending me 2 extra (unnecessary) cards that are just going to get cut right up and of course the costs associated with the above.  Granted, the percentage of people out there outside of this forum that doa CSP --> CS --> FU --> Freedom PC is probably a fraction of a percentage point, but still.

No problem.  And I believe you would indeed be able to PC directly to the Freedom from the CS after you've had your account for a year.  So, it might come down to how urgently you want or need the Freedom card.  

I agree that it is a lot of unnecessary hoop jumping, but I guess we should be glad that they allow product changes of any type before the 1 year mark.  When I had my Citi ThankYou Premier, I was forced to wait the full year before doing a PC.  And you're probably right.........I bet the percentage of people requesting these types of product changes (outside of the CC forums) is a low number. 

Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha.

I wish they would just disclose the issue, simply stating, "I'm sorry sir, your account is less than 1 year old so we can't do a PC to X card type for that reason."

I'll go ahead and do the PC to the FU tomorrow just to keep things rolling along here.

Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

My accounting tells me Chase billed me the annual fee for the CSP last year on 4/14/2017.

I wanted to PC my CSP to avoid the annual fee (I also have a Chase FU).  Checked my account and Chase billed me the AF on 4/1/2018.

Seemed a little sneaky.  Combining the CSP into my FU soon though.  I'll eat the $95 fee.

Message 14 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Manonfirewrote:
Like manofsteel mentioned, aging the CSP to 12 months might be key to PCing direct to the regular freedom. Also, it seems like Chase pushes the FU more so than the regular freedom card, as evidenced by rumors in the past of Chase phasing out the card. I also notice that on the website, Chase displays the CSR, CSP, FU and slate but I rarely see the regular freedom.

They're definitely steering customers away from the 5%/5x.

1. Making Freedom less visible on their website.

2. Making PCs to Freedom tricky (my ~12/17 CSP-to-FU PC was very smooth).

3. Advertising FU but not Freedom (as far as I'm aware).

4. Sending out a survey that mentions possibly nerfing the ability to feed CSP/CSP with Free/FU URs.

I know they must be worried about losing customers. The card is very popular among normal CC users and UR enthusiasts. But at some point it seems like they plan to drop or further nerf it.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Seemed a little sneaky.  Combining the CSP into my FU soon though.  I'll eat the $95 fee.

I agree, hitting you with it 2 weeks early.  Do you think it's worth a phone call to either try and get it waived?  I'm not sure if anyone has had success with that on the CSP.

Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

wasCB14,

That's kind of the vibe I've been getting for a while regarding the Freedom, for many of the reasons you mentioned as well as just reading on the forum here.

Message 17 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called and did the PC to the FU today.  I thought I almost had the CSR ready to do the Freedom for me.  I played dumb and started off asking about the PC to Freedom and she was like, "sure, that's no problem at all..." so I got excited for a minute.  Then she came back with, "that's odd, I'm only seeing the option for the Freedom Unlimited here..." and went on to say, "I see that your account isn't quite a year old yet, so that's probably the reason I'm not seeing the option for other cards..."

I'll probably try in a week or two after getting the FU to see if they'll PC that for me, if it's a no go I'll try again after May 2 when the account hits 1 year.

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

About a month or so ago, I switched my Slate to a second Freedom card.  The CSR noted that I already had one.  I asked if that was a problem because I didn't realize you couldn't have two, but she went ahead with the change.  You may consider using the Slate as an in-between step.

Message 19 of 38
awg420
Regular Contributor

I had no issues swapping my FU to a Freedom today so that might be the simplest way 

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.