Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire or Chase Disney.

tag
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Chase Sapphire or Chase Disney.

I've paid off a lot of cards and my score went up a lot in the recent months. I app'ed for both of these and got the pending message. I want to call the recon line, but expect to have to pick one. Which is better? I don't need another card, but A: I like the Disney card look and hope to go there one day and B. I would like to eventually get a travel card, that's one I don't have. Which would you prefer and why? 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire or Chase Disney.

@nursepower wrote:

I've paid off a lot of cards and my score went up a lot in the recent months. I app'ed for both of these and got the pending message. I want to call the recon line, but expect to have to pick one. Which is better? I don't need another card, but A: I like the Disney card look and hope to go there one day and B. I would like to eventually get a travel card, that's one I don't have. Which would you prefer and why? 

I'm not familiar with the Disney, but the regular Sapphire is a very lackluster card.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@nursepower wrote:

I've paid off a lot of cards and my score went up a lot in the recent months. I app'ed for both of these and got the pending message. I want to call the recon line, but expect to have to pick one. Which is better? I don't need another card, but A: I like the Disney card look and hope to go there one day and B. I would like to eventually get a travel card, that's one I don't have. Which would you prefer and why? 

Deciding what card to apply for based on how the card looks is really silly. I have never even heard of the disney card before and looking at it I am not really impressed by any stretch of the imagination. The only person who may benefit from a disney card is someone who lives near a disney property or goes there frequently. The chase sapphire isn't really worth it either, unless you have a chase ink card. Without owning an ink card the CSP is the way to go. The reason being is that the real value is in being able to transfer UR points to travel partners. I would see if you can switch your CS app to a CSP app. The AF is waived the first year.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 8
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@nursepower wrote:

I've paid off a lot of cards and my score went up a lot in the recent months. I app'ed for both of these and got the pending message. I want to call the recon line, but expect to have to pick one. Which is better? I don't need another card, but A: I like the Disney card look and hope to go there one day and B. I would like to eventually get a travel card, that's one I don't have. Which would you prefer and why? 

Deciding what card to apply for based on how the card looks is really silly. I have never even heard of the disney card before and looking at it I am not really impressed by any stretch of the imagination. The only person who may benefit from a disney card is someone who lives near a disney property or goes there frequently. The chase sapphire isn't really worth it either, unless you have a chase ink card. Without owning an ink card the CSP is the way to go. The reason being is that the real value is in being able to transfer UR points to travel partners. I would see if you can switch your CS app to a CSP app. The AF is waived the first year.  

Yes, try to switch apps to the CSP. Its a great travel card.  It has a lot of transfer partners.

Message 4 of 8
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Yes card design is silly I admit, but I'm a mouse lover and would love to see that card in my wallet. I don't like AF, so the Preferred would not do well for me. Silly question I know. Maybe I won't recon and just wait and see what they decide if anything. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 5 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@nursepower wrote:

If you're planning on doing a Disney cruise or vacation to one of their resorts, their card would be worth it for their special financing.  They do offer some Disney discounts, too, but the discounts you'd get as a passholder for the parks would still exceed these.    So in some situations, the card would be worth it.

If you don't care about the rewards and just like the card design, it may not be the best credit decision, but a lot of people stay away from cards they don't find aesthetically pleasing. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@nursepower wrote:

If you're planning on doing a Disney cruise or vacation to one of their resorts, their card would be worth it for their special financing.  They do offer some Disney discounts, too, but the discounts you'd get as a passholder for the parks would still exceed these.    So in some situations, the card would be worth it.

If you don't care about the rewards and just like the card design, it may not be the best credit decision, but a lot of people stay away from cards they don't find aesthetically pleasing. 

+1. The only reason to get the Disney cards are the financing options and in-park benefits. If you can't make use of either of those features, I'd stay away from them. You'd probably be better off with a 1.5% or 2% cash back card with no AF instead.

The normal Sapphire card is really lousy, and there's no real reason to get it unless you want access to the UR mall or can transfer points to FF programs via another card like the Ink.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 8
Vegas247
Established Contributor

I don't like annual fees either....Go for the the one that makes you happy!

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.