myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire preferred

Lower UTL 

Wait for the HP's to fall off in Sept. and give it a shot 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thanks. Definitely the drop offs might help but I should have Util a lot lower by January, so perhaps it might be best to wait till then. I just think if I wait I might have aped for another card by then and ruin it at 5/24 but perhaps I should put CSP on the back burner for abit and wait a couple more months to apply for anything.

Message 12 of 31
driftless
Valued Contributor

I think that it is a good idea to wait. Chase has a reputation of being stingy with CLI's so starting out with a good SL is important. FWIW - I was looking at a chart showing CSP SL vs. FICO scores and 750 seems to be the dividing line between SL's above and below 10K.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
I think that it is a good idea to wait. Chase has a reputation of being stingy with CLI's so starting out with a good SL is important. FWIW - I was looking at a chart one SL vs. FICO scores and 750 seems to be the dividing line between SL's above and below 10K.

I have a little work to do but i am positive that by end of year my scores will be that high, the only think holding me back is my Util, nothing else is bad.  You are right I would like to get a higher line.  My only high line is Citi and my Amex used to be the same but when the economy busted they cut my line in half (don't know why, no lates, no nothing and it wasn't maxed out) so it would be noce to try to get a higher line with the CSP.

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't even think about a CSP app until you have 10% or lower util reporting, and keep EX and TU scores north of 710. Really higher than that would be better.

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't even think about a CSP app until you have 10% or lower util reporting, and keep EX and TU scores north of 710. Really higher than that would be better.

In that case (10%) i have to keep CSP on the back burner for more than a year!! LOL

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In that case (10%) i have to keep CSP on the back burner for more than a year!! LOL

Trust me i feel your pain... The only cards really left on my "wish list" are 2 with Chase (normal Freedom and Ink Plus) which I won't be 5/24 eligible until May 2018, and an AMEX PRG.

As the saying goes though, the credit game is not a sprint; it is a marathon.

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Trust me i feel your pain... The only cards really left on my "wish list" are 2 with Chase (normal Freedom and Ink Plus) which I won't be 5/24 eligible until May 2018, and an AMEX PRG.

As the saying goes though, the credit game is not a sprint; it is a marathon.

Does the Ink Plus count 5/24 then? I know ive read it but can't remember. 

Right now I have decided that I want both hilton cards (citi and amex version) and heck, ill take both citi versions but that is my highest limit card so right now i cant but was thinking og going and applying with Amex (i should get that) and while I was doing Amex I figured i'd throw in the delta card to try to get both cards with one pull.

Reason I want hilton: I just got diamond status match so was hoping to utilize that next year on a trip or two. Other than that have really no reason to get the cards and delta i figured why not if Im taking a HP might as wel try for double and can almost get  me a free r/t ticket to Europe depending on what card I app for. (and if I get it)

I think I just want the CSP for the hype, I have determined that I MUST HAVE ONE (although in reality other than transferring to Hyatt I am not sure why lol) so perhaps I should wait this one out a bit longer LOL maybe Ill do an Ironman instead of a marathon.

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah sadly Chase included their business cards and most of their co-branded cards in the 5/24 rejection rule as of last month. 

I got my Ink Plus app in a few days ahead of time, but they retroactively denied me for that reason only because my application had not finished being processed in time.

Sounds like you are going to go pretty crazy on the Hilton HH points!  TBH you'll have an easier time getting both of those than CSP from my experience.

Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP if you have a banking relationship with Chase, it really helps too - I have my checking and savings with them, and I think this really helped me get the CSP.

In general though, lots of great points made in this thread. Get your utilization down, and I think you'll have a great chance at the CSP.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.