Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire vs. Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

Chase Sapphire vs. Chase Sapphire Preferred

It seems to me that the only difference between the Chase Sapphire and the CSP (apart from stalwart metal vs. comparatively wimpy plastic, of course Smiley Tongue) is the 7% annual points dividend bonus on the CSP.  Is that the case, or have I missed something?  I have the CSP and my annual fee is about to come due.  I'm thinking if that's the only difference, it might be a good idea to try to product change to regular ol' Chase Sapphire, if I do the calculation and the 7% dividend doesn't amount to enough to pay for the annual fee.

Which brings me to questions two and three:  Can anyone comment on their experiences with Chase and product changing?  I've been a customer of theirs for about 7 years and currently have 4 cards - 3 personal, and 1 business.  And is it usually a soft pull or a hard pull?

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Sapphire vs. Chase Sapphire Preferred

I think chase amazon gives better rewards than regular sapphire.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

The big difference is transferability. If you drop to sapphire, you lose the ability to transfer ur points to air/hotel partners. For many of us, that transferability is why we have the csp.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 9
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I think chase amazon gives better rewards than regular sapphire.

True.  That's actually one of the other cards I have.  It gives the best rewards on gas, groceries, things like that.  I have an AMEX BCP that I primarily use for those things, though, because the rewards are great.  Also, I think the rewards from Chase Amazon are most beneficial for crediting toward purchases on Amazon, aren't they?  That's all I've used them for.  I'm really looking for something where I can use the rewards for travel. 

Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)

Message 4 of 9
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
The big difference is transferability. If you drop to sapphire, you lose the ability to transfer ur points to air/hotel partners. For many of us, that transferability is why we have the csp.

That's one thing I haven't figured out with them.  What's the benefit of transferability vs. just purchasing travel via the UR website?

Message 5 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

Aside from the metal, the only discernible differences I see are:

1.  CSP is 2X dining and travel, whereas Sapphire is only 2X dining.

2.  No 7% bonus for the Sapphire.

3.  CSP has no forex fee, whereas the Sapphire does.

4.  CSP UR points are transferrable, whereas Sapphire's isn't.

Those are the main differences.  And, PC'ing from the CSP to a Sapphire is routine for Chase.  It gets more tricky when you're PC'ing from CSP to Freedom, or from UA to Freedom.

Message 6 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@lolabelle wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

That's one thing I haven't figured out with them.  What's the benefit of transferability vs. just purchasing travel via the UR website?

Moving points to redeem travel from their partners redeeming them prudently and opportunistically will usually net you a better deal than purchasing the same on UR, travelocity, or any other web site.

For example, 100K or so points can redeem a business flight on UA to anywhere in Asia.  The same ticket would cost about $3K to purchase through UR, or any other web site you can find.

Message 7 of 9
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

When you redeem through UR travel, the best you can do is 1.25 cents per point. Used wisely, united miles or hyatt points can approach 3 cents per point. Even sw points get about 1.8.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You can use amazon points for travel or for cash back, or statement credit.

Since you already have amazon, why not PC to freedom
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.