Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Chase Sapphire vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

This question has probably been asked before but I can't help but wonder. Why there isn't much mentioned on the Chase Sapphire since it doesn't have the the AF of $95 that the preferred does. Unless there is something that I have overlooked the card benefits are identical with exception to the generous sign up bonus that the preferred has I can see how someone who's lifestyle has them traveling frequently would find the preferred a good value.

I guess since I really do appreciate the credit cards  that don't have an AF it seems like the Chase Sapphire is a good product with a prime card. Any thoughts?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

No thoughts bc I felt the same way. Didnt see any major difference besides the additional bonus but then I didnt look into it that deeply. Smiley Happy Curious to see the answers from others here

Message 2 of 15
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

-The Signup bonus
-EMV chip is only in CSP (from what i have seen)
-5k min. limit with CSP
-The points, CSP earns 2x on hotel, travel, airfare and dining. While CS is only Dining
-Get the Bonus discount on airfare with CSP when booking with points

-I guess the points can be transferred to partners if its only CSP (I thought this one was odd, maybe someone can chime in on)

Above information was gotten from thepointsguy website 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the main thing is that CSP is able to transfer points to airline and hotel programs while the regular sapphire cannot.
Message 4 of 15
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@joedtx wrote:

This question has probably been asked before but I can't help but wonder. Why there isn't much mentioned on the Chase Sapphire since it doesn't have the the AF of $95 that the preferred does. Unless there is something that I have overlooked the card benefits are identical with exception to the generous sign up bonus that the preferred has I can see how someone who's lifestyle has them traveling frequently would find the preferred a good value.

I guess since I really do appreciate the credit cards  that don't have an AF it seems like the Chase Sapphire is a good product with a prime card. Any thoughts?

Thanks Smiley Happy

With CSP, you can transfer your UR points to partner airlines or hotels at 1:1 ratio. Those points then become worth more than 1cent if properly transferred and redeemed. 

If you have CSP and Freedom, you can club both points on CSP, and then transfer to partners. 

Many users value these points at 2cents or above Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

basically you earn points faster with the CSP

Message 6 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

basically you earn points faster with the CSP

That is not the big difference (as it has only one extra 2x category).  As said above, the big difference (and the only one that justifies the fee after the bonus) is the transferability.   That is the reason to have the card!

Message 7 of 15
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Thanks all........ great points made.

Message 8 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@joedtx wrote:

Unless there is something that I have overlooked the card benefits are identical

Most of the differences are covered above but you might want to be more careful with your research in the future.  Try building a comparison list.  Or open two browser windows and look at them side by side.  The Chase site has a comparison tool but for some reason it won't let you select the Sapphire.

CSP also has no FTF while the Sapphire has a 3% fee.  CSP also offers 20% off travel through the UR portal but I've never found that to be of any value compared to using other travel shopping portals.

@Skye12329 wrote:

-EMV chip is only in CSP (from what i have seen) 

There's a recent thread started by someone who received the Sapphire with EMV.  It's going to roll out to more and more cards as the liability shift approaches.

@Skye12329 wrote:

-I guess the points can be transferred to partners if its only CSP (I thought this one was odd, maybe someone can chime in on) 

Not odd at all.  That's one of the major differences has an affect on per point value.

Message 9 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

As been stated with above its all about transfer partners you really need to kook if they are viable for you. I know for me ual,ba,and sq have some value for airline travel,and Hyatt has some value . another thing to keep in mind "most" cards that have ability to transfer to travel partners have a AF, the only exception is amex everyday.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.