Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate Approval Odds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Slate Approval Odds

18 years old, make $15K / per year, I'm thinking about getting one more card, I have 4 total, Chase freedom ($500)
Lowes ($400) Cap 1 secured ($200)
discover it secured ($200) I started my history back in October and plan on getting just one more card, I would like to get the Chase slate card because I have a good relationship with Chase, and they approved me first with their freedom card, any other lenders? I would like more then a $500 credit limit, once summer hits I'll be making way more then $15K but as of now my income is $15K / year. I really wanted to get in with AMEX but everyone was saying AMEX was a bad idea with only 4 months of credit history total. Oh credit karma said my scores are in the 620's. Thanks!!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Slate Approval Odds

Chase slate is very useful for 0 APR and 0 fee balance transfers for your current cards. I would suggest a card that provides rewards that might be more suitable to you. To be honest, I would wait a bit and let your credit history build. Cap 1 and their QuickSilver card could be your text target if you are looking for some cash back, and you have a relationship with them already. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quicksilver sounds ok, but their annual fee and low CR Limits
Message 3 of 9
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
18 years old, make $15K / per year, I'm thinking about getting one more card, I have 4 total, Chase freedom ($500)
Lowes ($400) Cap 1 secured ($200)
discover it secured ($200) I started my history back in October and plan on getting just one more card, I would like to get the Chase slate card because I have a good relationship with Chase, and they approved me first with their freedom card, any other lenders? I would like more then a $500 credit limit, once summer hits I'll be making way more then $15K but as of now my income is $15K / year. I really wanted to get in withAMEX but everyone was sayingAMEX was a bad idea with only 4 months of credit history total. Oh credit karma said my scores are in the 620's. Thanks!!

Credit Karma isn't real scores and it's FICO score so it's hard to know what your true score is. October isn't that far back.  If I were to pull the trigger in your situation, it would be for a card that gave me a free FICO score. Discover or Walmart.  If your credit history is too short for that, I would garden and let my credit age a bit.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The normal QS does not have any fee, plus there is a sign up bonus and 0% APR offers. I would still suggest to wait since your history is only 4 months, and you already have a few cards. Your score will really jump if you keep your util % low and try to wait until you have a year of history. 

Message 5 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

I don't recommend...   Chase is a hard bank to get CLI from.  You should garden those 4 lines for 6 months and if you still want the Slate then, you will start at a higher limit.

I started with 4 cards...

walmart $150

lowes $500

chase amazon $500

barclay rewards $500

If I would have added a 5th card it would have been another $500 approval

I gardened for 6 months and was able to get 5k chase approvals at that 6 month mark,. My chase amazon sits at 2k at the 18 month mark.  If i would have waited, it would now be $6500 (like my other chase approvals).

By the way, unless you carry balances (which i don't recommend) or want to move limits later, Slate is worthless.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I was trying to get a increase on the freedom, but they said it's a HP, so I said nope, not gonna happen. So if I signed up for the slate I would only be approved for $500? I thought it would be $1,000 since I made 3 payments on time and have been with chase for my banking needs for about 5 years now. Thanks for everyone's answers.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding another card right now will not be of much help since it will be such a low limit card. If you were to add another, you want to go with a card that will be useful for years to come, and will grow with you. Chase Slate is neither of those, as you will likely be stuck with the low limit they give you forever, with no rewards.

I would wait a a few months, keep checking the Cap One pre-approval site and wait for your scores to go up. If you get pre-approved for the Cap One prime cards (Venture, QS) apply for one of those as it will give you the higher limit you want and need, but will also continue to grow with you.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I would avoid Slate for now unless you really need a balance transfer. You're just going to get approved for a relatively low limit based on what I'm seeing, which isn't good for a 60-day free BT card anyway. Let your accounts grow and see if you can graduate your secured card to an un-secured card. I think there are a lot of threads here on that, so take a look.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.