cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate CLI denied :( ...should I try for CLI on Amex BCP soon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Slate CLI denied :( ...should I try for CLI on Amex BCP soon?

I was approved for a Chase Slate card and an Amex Blue Cash Preferred about 2 weeks ago (I applied for both within a span of a few minutes). At the time my FICO score was 751, but now it's probably lower because of the new inquiries and younger AAoA.

The same day I applied for those cards, I also called Chase to request a CLI on my Sapphire (since I knew they would want a hard pull, and this way both Chase hard pulls would be on the same day, which I've heard will only count as one inquiry on credit reports). I've had the Sapphire for 2 years now, and it was still sitting at the initial CL of 5000. I requested an increase to 10,000, but they denied and came back with a counteroffer of 8000 which I accepted. The reason they gave for the 8000 number -- my highest CL at the time was a Capital One card with 7500, so I guess they didn't want to go too far past that.

Then, I found out the CL's on my two new cards: 2500 for the Slate, and 7800 for the Amex BCP. The 2500 number was disappointing, since I was hoping to transfer around that amount from my Cap One card (which is nearing the end of its zero APR period), taking advantage of the Slate zero balance transfer fee promotion. But I don't want to max it out, so I only transferred 1000 (so the card is at 40% utilization), and I'll just make sure to pay off the rest of the Cap One within the next few months.

I thought it over, and decided I would be willing to sacrifice another hard pull to see if I could get a higher CL on the Slate. So I called today, and first asked whether I would even be able to get a CLI on the Slate so soon after the CLI on the Sapphire. She told me it wouldn't be a problem.

So I requested a CLI from 2500 to 7500, and was completely denied -- I wasn't even given a lower counteroffer. The rep didn't know the reason why; she said I would get a letter in the mail explaining why.

So, here are my questions:

1. Any theories as to why I was denied? (Some possibilities I've thought of: it's too soon after the Sapphire CLI, even though the rep said it wasn't a problem; Chase doesn't want to give me any more credit than 8000+2500; my income is too low (28,000); etc.)

2. Is it worth calling back for a reconsideration? How likely is this to succeed? (And without yet another hard pull, please! Getting 4 pulls from a single company in less than 3 weeks would be a bit ridiculous, 3 pulls is bad enough already!)

3. Will this affect my chances of getting a CLI from Amex in a few months? (I've read the posts about the 61 day 3x CLI you can get)

4. Even if I didn't have this extra inquiry, would I have a chance of getting a CLI from Amex when the time comes? Or is my Amex CL already too big of a fraction of my income? (it's currently 7800/28,000 = 28% of my income) I seriously doubt they'll give me the full 3x increase (to 23,400), but maybe I could get it up to 15,000 or something?

Here's my current info:

Chase Slate, 2500 CL, brand new, balance currently 1000

Chase Sapphire, 8000 CL, 2 years old, balance reported usually 200-300 (paid in full each month)

Capital One World Mastercard, 7500 CL, 8 months old, balance currently 1700, but should be close to zero within a few months

Amex Blue Cash Preferred, 7800 CL, brand new

Sorry for the long post, but I figured the more info I gave, the better. Smiley Happy  Thanks for any advice you can give!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Slate CLI denied :( ...should I try for CLI on Amex BCP soon?

After the CLI on the sapphire you might have hit your total max credit chase is willing to give you. You might, however, be able to move over some of the credit from your sapphire to your slate.

You will probably be fine with amex in 61 days.
Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you need to call in to talk to a credit person... I wouldn't have wasted the time with the front line CSR, they get to push a button and boom answer... the account was 30-60 days old, the system 99% (I would think) is not going to give a CLI, it would have to be manual)

2. Amex is after 62 days, i don't see why the chase CLI or not would effect it.

3. if no CLI at all, move the CL from the other card you just got cli on and do your bt. isnt' the point the savings of the bt?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your replies!

I should have been more clear about the amex CLI question -- I know the chase CLI won't reset the 61/62 day clock, I was just worried about the extra inquiry hurting my credit score. But it sounds like it shouldn't matter too much?

I was never talking to a front line CSR -- I called 888-245-0625 to talk to a credit analyst, and at first she thought I was asking about the recent sapphire CLI, but when I said I wanted a new CLI for slate she transferred me to someone else (not sure exactly what job title / department though). The new person asked me the usual questions about income before denying me, so it seemed like the denial wasn't just from a computer, it was after she took a look at it too. But maybe I'm wrong on that.

I thought about maybe moving some credit from the sapphire to the slate. (They never actually mentioned that option on the phone -- I guess it's not something they automatically offer, but they'll consider it if I'm the one to bring it up?) But I decided not to, since I'd rather have the credit available on the card I use for travel. I don't travel regularly, but sometimes I might make several trips in a very short time period, so the high CL there helps.

I don't need the APR savings of the BT; the only balance I'm carrying is already at 0% APR for another few months. The attractive part of the offer for me was the ability to keep it at 0% for longer, without getting charged a BT fee. So I did the partial BT (1000 instead of 2500), which gives me extra time to pay down that part of the balance without any interest charged. I have enough time left to pay the other 1500 down before the 0% APR runs out on the Cap One card (in May or June I think).

Message 4 of 6
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

If you have a few months before your 0% is up, you could try waiting a few months on your Chase card for the CLI and see if the months make a difference as they get more comfortable for you. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, that's worth a try... but the intro offer of zero BT fee is only good for BT's initiated within the first 60 days, and at that point I'm hoping my remaining balance on the Cap One will be zero anyway. Smiley Happy

But that's definitely worth keeping in mind, in case I don't end up paying it down as quickly as I'm expecting to!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.