Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate Without Traditional Embossing

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Chase Slate Without Traditional Embossing

My wife and I just got our new Chase Slate cards, same account number just a new expiration date, but the format has changed.  For the first time with any of our credit cards these lack the embossed printing for the old-fashioned carbon-paper credit card machines.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Slate Without Traditional Embossing

Sign of the times I guess... 

No PSECU EX for you Matt?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 12
Regular Contributor

I work for a restaurant and have notices a lot of these from a local credit union. They don't look like "real" credit cards, more like cheap gift cards.

Message 3 of 12
tobey
Contributor

Wow. I've yet to come accross one of these. Sounds like those cheesy faux cards you see stuck to some credit card offers...

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
bvick27
New Contributor

I have had one for my debit card with TD Bank for a year and  a half now. I think they are just cheaper to produce.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 665 TU: 688
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
vish1
Valued Contributor

I had a similar check card earlier (or may be it was an atm card). I actually liked it for 1 reason that they are easier to stack in your wallet (I keep multiple cards in each slot).

That said, they sure do look cheap.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 12
BluMoon
New Contributor

I read about this.  The information said that the only reason cards are still embossed is tradition.  They serve no other purpose.  Now having said that, I had a doctor's appointment Friday and when I was paying, she couldn't get the card scanner to work.  She said, "I'm tired of fooling with this," and whipped out an old carbon paper machine and used my card in it.  From the way she was talking, their scanner frequently doesn't work.  I can't remember when the last time I had a card used in one of those devices.  I'm sure that eventually all the cards will eliminate the embossed numbers, so I guess her CC machine's day's are numbered.

Message 7 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@BluMoon wrote:

I read about this.  The information said that the only reason cards are still embossed is tradition.  They serve no other purpose.  Now having said that, I had a doctor's appointment Friday and when I was paying, she couldn't get the card scanner to work.  She said, "I'm tired of fooling with this," and whipped out an old carbon paper machine and used my card in it.  From the way she was talking, their scanner frequently doesn't work.  I can't remember when the last time I had a card used in one of those devices.  I'm sure that eventually all the cards will eliminate the embossed numbers, so I guess her CC machine's day's are numbered.

Takeout taxi for restaurant deliveries uses carbon paper impressions of the cards around here.  They don't have to whip out the old machine, they just run a pen over the card and a piece of carbon paper.  They may have to abandon that practice if this is the trend. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
jason10
New Contributor

This must be a recent change. My card from October 2010 has gold embossing. In fact, I think it's one of my most attractive cards. I won't be carrying it much longer though, as I just PC'd to a Chase Freedom.

Message 9 of 12
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

two of my store cards dont have embossing anyway.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.