Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate to Freedom Upgrade?

tag
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

Chase Slate to Freedom Upgrade?

I've had my Chase Slate fo a while now and I really want to ugprade to the Freedom. I tried this once some time ago and was denied. I just tried again today and I was told it was impossible to upgrade the Slate to the Freedom, because they are different brands. I would have to apply for the Freedom and then I'll have the option of consolidating my credit between the 2 cards, but I could not merge them, or upgrade the Slate. I was a bit surprised since I've heard of people upgrading the Slate to the Freedom and I asked if it was a recent change, the rep could not tell me.

So I'm just wondering, what are you thoughts on this? You think she didn't know what she was talking about and I should keep trying? Any recent experience with Chase? My FICO score is pretty high and I'm sure I would get approved for the Freedom, but I would MUCH MUCH rather PC.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Slate to Freedom Upgrade?

Hello and welcome call back and ask for a supervisor i have a chase freedom and i pc'd my chase card to a freedom about 6 months ago but, i did talk to a supervisor. The reg csr are sometimes helpful but in this case they were not so, definitely call back and ask for a supervisor.

Message 2 of 12
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@QuantumCredit wrote:

I've had my Chase Slate fo a while now and I really want to ugprade to the Freedom. I tried this once some time ago and was denied. I just tried again today and I was told it was impossible to upgrade the Slate to the Freedom, because they are different brands. I would have to apply for the Freedom and then I'll have the option of consolidating my credit between the 2 cards, but I could not merge them, or upgrade the Slate. I was a bit surprised since I've heard of people upgrading the Slate to the Freedom and I asked if it was a recent change, the rep could not tell me.

So I'm just wondering, what are you thoughts on this? You think she didn't know what she was talking about and I should keep trying? Any recent experience with Chase? My FICO score is pretty high and I'm sure I would get approved for the Freedom, but I would MUCH MUCH rather PC.

Just went through this last week. I converted my Slate to Freedom. If your card started as a Slate, the only requirement seems to be that it must be open for at least one year. Before I found this out, I had multiple CSRs and even CSR supervisors tell me that it is impossible. Their reason being that one offers rewards, and one does not. Anyways, at my 8th month mark I ended up calling the executive office and they were able to tell me that 1 year with the Slate is required, no exceptions. Last week my 1 year was up, and they did it for me.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@SwiftTone wrote:

@QuantumCredit wrote:

Just went through this last week. I converted my Slate to Freedom. If your card started as a Slate, the only requirement seems to be that it must be open for at least one year. Before I found this out, I had multiple CSRs and even CSR supervisors tell me that it is impossible. Their reason being that one offers rewards, and one does not. Anyways, at my 8th month mark I ended up calling the executive office and they were able to tell me that 1 year with the Slate is required, no exceptions. Last week my 1 year was up, and they did it for me.

A most excellent response swiftone... I might add that I used the secure message canter to ask for a PC to amazon signature and the response I got was that Pc isn't available until you've had the card for 12 months.... so this sort of confirms what swiftone mentioned.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 12
Zar
Regular Contributor

I have also tried to product change from Slate to Freedom several times since 2 ago with no luck! I have tried the secured message system and a couple of times by phone. I have not tried to talk to a supervisor though. I really want to switch to the Freedom.

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

Thank you so much for that reply! I suspected the CSR was wrong. I've had the Slate for several years now, so I guess I'll be calling the executive office soon Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

a lot of people are just dumb, kinda like how the US government rather read phonebooks then get **bleep** done.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 12
Voodard
Contributor

That's very strange indeed because my credit card that's now a CSP started it's life as a First USA Platinum Visa, then became a Bank One Visa, and finally a Chase Slate when they bought Bank One.

I did my PC by secure message and simply told the CSR I wanted something with rewards attached to it and she gave me a list of about 6 card to choose from (couple hotel cards, airline cards, and finally the Sapphre and Sapphire Preferred).

I acknowledged the request to change cards and I had it in my hands within a few days.
TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 8 of 12
dkang88
New Visitor

During the 1 year, did you keep using the slate card? or did you put it in the drawer and not use it at all? I would think it's the former so you can show them that you make good payments. I'm trying to PC from slate to freedom too but my 1 year mark is in sept...also after the 1 year mark, who did you call? backdoor? or just regular csr?

Message 9 of 12
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

My oldest revolving account is my good ol' Chase Slate from 2003. So yup, my AAoA is a whoping 10 years! My next revolving is a BofA card opened in 2005 FYI. However I am accumulating points with my CSPreferred right now and would love to product change my Slate to the Freedom. If I do, will my Freedom be listed as an open account from 2003? or 2013? (and for what credit reports?) Obviously that would affect my score big time. And also, does Chase soft pull for this?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.