Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Slate

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm debating whether to keep this around or not.

as everyone knows, 0% APR, no balance transfer fee and such.

I don't use balance transfers, my APR will be 22.99% after the 0% is over, and nothing special with the card (that I can see)

but if I close out this one, I'll only have my discover and 2 amex and I kinda feel it's important especially when going out to have a visa or mastercard when discover and amex aren't accepted

thoughts?

Others have pointed out good reasons to keep.  Frequently, we lose sight of the purpose of a card.  The Chase Slate is, in fact, a credit card, albeit with limited rewards.  It just happens to be good for those who wish to take advantage of balance transfers.  It still functions as a credit card.  If you're going to PIF whenever you use it, the APR becomes a moot point.

Message 11 of 19
Tryingtogetbetter
Contributor

I'm in the same boat right now. Does anyone know if you can usethe 0% offer again? My offer just expired this month and I'm thinking of transferring the limit to my CSP and closingthe Slate. I wanted to transfer another balance to take advantage of the 0% but the rep told me I didn't qualify for another offer. Not sure I see the point of keeping it open if I can't use the 0% offer again in the future. 

Current FICO Scores as of 12/12/15 - EQ-704 TU-736 EX-708
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tryingtogetbetter wrote:

I'm in the same boat right now. Does anyone know if you can usethe 0% offer again? My offer just expired this month and I'm thinking of transferring the limit to my CSP and closingthe Slate. I wanted to transfer another balance to take advantage of the 0% but the rep told me I didn't qualify for another offer. Not sure I see the point of keeping it open if I can't use the 0% offer again in the future. 

I had another one in the future, but 3% fee and I can't recall the length of time, but short. I think like 6 months. Definitely not planning on keeping it long term. 

Message 13 of 19
Tryingtogetbetter
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tryingtogetbetter wrote:

I had another one in the future, but 3% fee and I can't recall the length of time, but short. I think like 6 months. Definitely not planning on keeping it long term. 

Yea see that's what it making me want to just transfer limit to my CSP and close the Slate. When I reached out to Chase, the rep told me I didn't qualify for another BT offer and If I did transfer a balance it would be subject to all normal fees and APR. In my personal case right now, it's not worth keeping it. I'd just hate to get rid of it and miss out on any future BT offers that may pop up. 

Current FICO Scores as of 12/12/15 - EQ-704 TU-736 EX-708
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is very very tight with credit lines and increases IMHO.They also do hard pulls whenever a credit line increase is requested

Message 15 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm debating whether to keep this around or not.

as everyone knows, 0% APR, no balance transfer fee and such.

I don't use balance transfers, my APR will be 22.99% after the 0% is over, and nothing special with the card (that I can see)

but if I close out this one, I'll only have my discover and 2 amex and I kinda feel it's important especially when going out to have a visa or mastercard when discover and amex aren't accepted

thoughts?

Yes there seems to be consensus that it's not a very useful card except for the opening balance transfer offers.

But if I were you I wouldn't close it, I'd keep it around, let it age, use it on occasion just to keep it active.

1. Yes you certainly should have a visa or mastercard.

2. It's good to build a relationship with Chase.

3. Down the road, if you get another Chase card, you can transfer some of the Slate's credit limit to that card. In fact you might even be able to call

them up and trade it in for another card, without losing the continuity and aging.

4. Maybe some day they'll start adding some features to the Slate, or maybe they'll product change it into something better.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sharingan, I agree at first I did like my slate and I wouldn't be tempted to use it as much because of no cashback or any type of rewards. but that APR is so high.

1. So what? If you PIF it doesn't matter what the interest is.

2. You might be able to call up some day and get an interest rate reduction.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 17 of 19
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

Good advice from every one. I see in different perspective. If you have other VISA / MASTER card with you in your wallet, go ahead and cancel your Chase Slate by moving your credit limit to Chase Freedom or any other Chase cards if you have one.

Down the line may be after 24 months, if you need credit and 0% APR you can apply Chase Slate again and utilize the opportunity again. Make way for your future needs.

USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

SouthJamaica, you bring up a good point but I didn't know until this website that one could ask for a reduction in APR down the line. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.