Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase - Some questions

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase - Some questions

@breezy559 wrote:

I can answer the CSP question. A lot of people say you need a $5000+ credit card before they will approve you, but I didn;t have any credit card with a 5000 limit and they still approved me. I also beleve that with chase, they relax their standards/requirements if you already have a relationship with them, I definitely don't think I would have been approved for the CSP if I hadn't have had a freedom with them and a college checking account. Best of luck!

Thanks for your input Breezy. Yeah I think the CSP/Freedom/Checking trifecta will be great. 

Message 11 of 25
MT936
Established Contributor

Use the pre approval tool on the chase website I got pre approved for the Marriott and CSP on it and applied for the Marriott and got instant approval. You do not need an existing card with a 5k limit In order to be approved for the CSP my highest limit was 4k and I got approved for 7500 on the Marriott which is now my highest limit 

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 12 of 25
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

just to echo what everyone else said:

1) definitely transfer the Slate CL to Chase freedom. you don't want to lose util.

2) if there's no need to ask for a CLI, don't. youre right that it costs a hard pull. if you have no plans to purchase a car/home/any other need to keep your credit score up, it'll probably be fine to ask for a CLI every few months. this ensures that your util% will stay low, which translates to a higher credit score.

3) im another datapoint that i didn't have a 5k+ CC when I applied for CSP. it's not necessary, but i would shoot for above 700 credit score before applying. ive seen some get it with 680, but 700 is a safer bet (with 720 being VERY high chance of being approved). dropping your debt to ~1.5k will give you less than 10% util and should give a nice boost to your score.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 13 of 25
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

Use the pre approval tool on the chase website I got pre approved for the Marriott and CSP on it and applied for the Marriott and got instant approval. You do not need an existing card with a 5k limit In order to be approved for the CSP my highest limit was 4k and I got approved for 7500 on the Marriott which is now my highest limit 

Thanks MT936.

I turned off the prescreened offers (temptation). I guess I should turn it on again after a while and see what I qualify for.

Thanks for the data point Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 25
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@milkshakes wrote:

just to echo what everyone else said:

1) definitely transfer the Slate CL to Chase freedom. you don't want to lose util.

2) if there's no need to ask for a CLI, don't. youre right that it costs a hard pull. if you have no plans to purchase a car/home/any other need to keep your credit score up, it'll probably be fine to ask for a CLI every few months. this ensures that your util% will stay low, which translates to a higher credit score.

3) im another datapoint that i didn't have a 5k+ CC when I applied for CSP. it's not necessary, but i would shoot for above 700 credit score before applying. ive seen some get it with 680, but 700 is a safer bet (with 720 being VERY high chance of being approved). dropping your debt to ~1.5k will give you less than 10% util and should give a nice boost to your score.

Thanks Milkshakes. 

Tranferring CL from Slate to Freedom looks like the unanimous choice. 

Nobody seems to have PCed to anything else....

Thanks for adding another datapoint. Somehow I was under the impression that Chase either doesn't like me or treats me as a high-risk category. Sounds like I could take a chance. I'll wait for the debt to be paid down and the scores to go north of 700 (725-735 would be awesome it seems) and then apply. 

Message 15 of 25
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

yeah, biggest issue is that you can only PC Slate to other Chase products, not cobranded ones. seeing as you already have a freedom and you want a CSP (so CS doesn't make sense), there aren't really many other choices up there.

sounds like you have a good plan -- best of luck staying disciplined so you can that debt down and apply!

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 16 of 25
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Like others have posted it definitely is not a requirement to have a 5k.  Also the prequal site usually with Chase if something comes up then you are pretty golden to get that card they are one of the more accurate banks in that regards. 

That is why I got the CSP and Freedom in the last couple of months too boot with one HP.  When your ready that is where I would start first.

Message 17 of 25
facutardeat
New Contributor

FWIW, I was instant-approved for both the Freedom and CSP recently.  When I applied, my highest credit limit was $1,600.  I did not have any relationship with Chase at the time.  Also, I was pre-approved (using the Chase website) for the Freedom, but not the CSP.

After I was approved for both cards, I moved my checking from BofA over to Chase.

As of 5/23/14, via myFICO EQ 779 | TU 762 | EX 795

As of 5/22/14 Credit Sesame 746 | Credit Karma 754

AmEx EveryDay Preferred $2,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,000 | Chase Freedom $8,000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $5,200
Message 18 of 25
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@milkshakes wrote:

yeah, biggest issue is that you can only PC Slate to other Chase products, not cobranded ones. seeing as you already have a freedom and you want a CSP (so CS doesn't make sense), there aren't really many other choices up there.

sounds like you have a good plan -- best of luck staying disciplined so you can that debt down and apply!

Thanks for the wishes.

Yes, even though initially I felt like AF-cards were not of great use, I've started liking the idea of airline points more; especially seeing how 12k miles on Southwest could have given me a nice roundtrip flight to Disneyland. I had about 7k, so I bought oneway. Would have got Southwest card but (a) they're offering a low bonus now and (b) CSP offers overall greater flexibility. Double points and close to double valuation of points: will be a good combo. Now to get that credit profile all sorted out Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 25
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

Like others have posted it definitely is not a requirement to have a 5k.  Also the prequal site usually with Chase if something comes up then you are pretty golden to get that card they are one of the more accurate banks in that regards. 

That is why I got the CSP and Freedom in the last couple of months too boot with one HP.  When your ready that is where I would start first.

Thanks, I had switched off my prescreening. Just turned it on; will check in a month or so. 

It seems like my chances are good once the debt clears a bit. 

Chase wasn't too kind with me with the HPs; when I apped for the Slate (pre-approved at that time) they didn't allow that same HP to be used for a Freedom CLI, for whatever reason. 

And for both the cards they pulled TU+EX Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.