Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Southwest, Chop or Keep?

tag
cjesser15
Contributor

Re: Chase Southwest, Chop or Keep?

Maybe a little off topic but does anyone have any real world values from your own experience for the 6K anniversary bonus? I know what TPG values RRs at but I rarely find his values consistent with my own. I ask because I too have been debating whether to keep this card. I haven't flown enough recently to assess my own values. And if the $99 annual fee mostly canceled out by the value of the 6K bonus I'm happy to keep it.
Message 11 of 19
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@cjesser15 wrote:
Maybe a little off topic but does anyone have any real world values from your own experience for the 6K anniversary bonus? I know what TPG values RRs at but I rarely find his values consistent with my own. I ask because I too have been debating whether to keep this card. I haven't flown enough recently to assess my own values. And if the $99 annual fee mostly canceled out by the value of the 6K bonus I'm happy to keep it.

From my calculation, RR point is worth about 1.4 cents each. So 6,000 RR points are about $84.

Message 12 of 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

I'm finding that all airline cards are becoming less of value compared with the options of CSR 1.50x w/ also the flexibility of transfers to use miles and Amex 5x w/ business plat having 50% rebate w/ again flexibility of transfers.  Especially if you fly first class most of the time, baggage and boarding don't matter.

Chop, chop, IMO.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 13 of 19
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@redpat wrote:

I'm finding that all airline cards are becoming less of value compared with the options of CSR 1.50x w/ also the flexibility of transfers to use miles and Amex 5x w/ business plat having 50% rebate w/ again flexibility of transfers.  Especially if you fly first class most of the time, baggage and boarding don't matter.

Chop, chop, IMO.

Completely agree.  Not only flying first class, but airline status takes care of baggage and boarding as well.  

I wonder what the airline partners think about the CSR & the Amex Plat 5x miles?  Now the cc's have card that out earn their co-branded airline cards, Southwest, United & Delta.  

Message 14 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Chop, chop, IMO.

Completely agree.  Not only flying first class, but airline status takes care of baggage and boarding as well.  

I wonder what the airline partners think about the CSR & the Amex Plat 5x miles?  Now the cc's have card that out earn their co-branded airline cards, Southwest, United & Delta.  

Until VERY recently, same was true on Amazon and it took years for Chase to respond....

Message 15 of 19
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

besides the companion pass, not sure why anyone would keep that card.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 16 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I just chopped mine. I had the Premier and for $99, it didn't make any sense. The CSR essentially earns Southwest miles (if you transfer), so from an earning perspective unless you travel very, very frequently (on Southwest), it does seem redundant.

This is what I'm thinking. Only the Companion Pass is worth it. The only thing is that, SW is part of the 5/24. So this is only the first year. It also looks bad to Chase and certainly questions will be ansked when we apply for Chase card again.

I suspect there are many on this forum to say nothing of Reddit who would suggest otherwise.

Do what's right for you, consolidate the line and close it if that's what makes sense, Chase will be OK on it: if the CSR obviates your need for the SW card then it doesn't make much sense to keep it around... if you're making a pattern of it, maybe, but if you're like me and keeping the CSR as a long term tradeline (so many expenses are travel, haven't even gotten on an airplane yet and already racking up points) then there's no downside to closing the SW card imo.

+1

I would close it and transfer the CR to the CSR.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 17 of 19
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Random_idiot wrote:
besides the companion pass, not sure why anyone would keep that card.

Keep it for retention offer, and pray for higher terms next year? Even 3% on airfair and hotel seem not enough. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

Chop, chop, IMO.

I'm with ya. If Chase doesn't give me a retention offer on the United card, It might get chopped! 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.