Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa

-How hard is this card to get??

-Would it be difficult to get for a 1st time chase member?

-What bureau(s) do they usually pull?

-How are the rewards on this card??

Anyone with this card your input is appreciated!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa

I was rejected online, but approved on recon with 5k cl, visa signature. First chase interaction, pulled experian only, no repull on recon. Score at rejection 638. No idea experian score at time of recon, but myfico eq had gone from 654 to 673 in same period. I think my experience is atypical. Rewards are great if you fly southwest a lot, visa signature has a nice concierge service. No priority boarding or club tix like united or continental, but free tix faster. Hope this helps.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
I was rejected online, but approved on recon with 5k cl, visa signature. First chase interaction, pulled experian only, no repull on recon. Score at rejection 638. No idea experian score at time of recon, but myfico eq had gone from 654 to 673 in same period. I think my experience is atypical. Rewards are great if you fly southwest a lot, visa signature has a nice concierge service. No priority boarding or club tix like united or continental, but free tix faster. Hope this helps.

Thinking about going for this instead of Discover in August. DW loves SW and other airline cards just don't seem nice to me.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 33
mokong
Regular Contributor

i was approved last year january with experian fico 650 @ $4k cl. its not instantly approved..after 4 days i received an email that i was approved.its my first chase cc,and my first highest cc, after first use i received a letter wth confirmation number for my free round trip domestic flight.

Message 4 of 33
longhorn11
New Contributor

As stated before if you fly SWA this card is excellent to have.  With the sign up bonus depending on where you are using the flights it could add up to way more than 2 r/t's.  For me this was my first Chase card, but I had been getting at least 2 preapproved mailings a month from them before I went ahead with the application.  I knew they were going to change the FF program, so I held off applying until a new points offer was made available.  There are two different versions of this card, the Plus and Premier (I'm sure you've seen both of them advertised).  Go ahead and apply for the Premier and if you don't get that they then consider you for the Plus I believe (double check this).  Then as a last resort the Chase recon line is a lot easier to deal with than say Citibank, so I say give it a go!  On a side note though, I do wish they would add some more benefits for at least the Premier version of the card.  Other than 10k spend netting 1.5k tier qualifying points, there really isn't that much else included.  The offer I received was for the Premier card ($99 AF) but they give you 6k points a year, which adds up to $100 in airfare.  They pulled experian.

Message 5 of 33
alph4
Regular Contributor

Pulled experian for me.  No idea of the experian score.  My equifax and TU scores are generally 790 to low 800s.  I believe Chase is more strict with approvals on the airline cards vs. their non-co-branded cards (Freedom, Slate.)

I received instant approval for the Premier Signature card for just over 17k credit line. Received the approval in November 2011.  This is my second card with Chase, the first being a Freedom with 3k credit line in March 2011.  Other cards include a AmEx Green AU from 1986, AmEx BCP from March 2007, and a Citi Forward dated Sept 2009.

Rewards are excellent especially if you fly on the Wanna-Get-Away fares.  Standard purchases would equate to about a 1.67% reward rate. I use it for any purchase that's not a grocery store, department store, or gasoline that I would get better returns with the AmEx on, or any purchases I would want AmEx consumer protection on.  And the $99 annual fee, as another user said, is cancelled out by the 6000 points per year.  However, this all assumes you fly Southwest.

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied for Slate, but approved for Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus with a 2500 limit. Good enough for me! I fly southwest all the time and I have been trying to get my foot in the door with Chase for a while now.

Message 7 of 33
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

This is a card I would actually MUCH prefer to have over my current AU Amex Plat Skymiles, as I fly far more frequently aboard SW, than I do Delta.  BNA (Nashville) is a hub for SW, so I can fly direct to TPA, GSP, or FLL non-stop (all family locations) usually several hundred dollars cheaper than aboard Delta and minus the layover in ATL.

LUV SW!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 33
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I am considering stepping away from the garden to app for this card. Not sure yet.

We just completerd paying off two of our cards (one to go) that had fairly high balances so I will most likely wait until those update. Our utilization will then drop to about 2% and I do not have too many remaining INQ's. I think 4 at this time.

I though I had read there were some solid bonus points now, so it may be a good time.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied last week it was 50,000 bonus points after first purchase, but now as far as I can see it's back down to 25,000. But it seems like they offer the 50,000 every couple of months or so.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.