cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Southwest VISA - Rewards

tag
kemd

Chase Southwest VISA - Rewards

I just received my new Chase Southwest Card.  Need to spend $2,000 over 3 months and then will receive 50,000 miles (equivalent to 2 roundrip tickets!).  When I called to activate the card, I asked if using the card for rent or mortgage would count toward the $2,000 needed, and he said it could be used for other bills (internet, utilities, etc), but not rent or mortgage, since those are secured loans.  I understand how a mortgage would be considred a secured loan, but rent???

Has anyone else used the card for rent and received credit toward the 2 roundtrip tickets?  I sure don't want to go on a shopping spree to spend the $2,000 or it would defeat the purpose, I want to charge as much of those things I would normally spend during a month, pay in full each month and at the end of 3 months have 2 roundtrip tickets. Smiley Happy

thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Southwest VISA - Rewards

If your landlord accept credit cards as a form of payment, it will count towards the minimum spend required for bonus.

Alternatively, you can also use services such as williampaid (might have misspelt it).
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
kemd

Thank you for your quick response!  I initially planned to put my rent on the card, but his answer threw me.  My landlord does accept credit cards, if we pay our rent online.

Message 3 of 8
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@kemd wrote:

Thank you for your quick response!  I initially planned to put my rent on the card, but his answer threw me.  My landlord does accept credit cards, if we pay our rent online.

How does the SW and rapid rewards work?  Do your points get deposited directly  into your Rapid Rewards account, or is there an Ultimate Rewards program like the Freedom?  How long after a purchase do you see those points?

Message 4 of 8
cjradinfo
Valued Member

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@kemd wrote:

How does the SW and rapid rewards work?  Do your points get deposited directly  into your Rapid Rewards account, or is there an Ultimate Rewards program like the Freedom?  How long after a purchase do you see those points?

Points get deposited directly into your RR account.  It happens once every statement posts (seems to be the case for Chase rewards cards). 

In response to OP: If you're concerned about hitting minimum spend you could check out Bluebird + Vanilla reload cards.  But if you're paying rent with a CC it should count towards it. 

EX: 743 as of 11/14/14
Chase: CSP $15.9k | Chase Freedom $2.4k | Fairmont $5k | Marriott Premier $2k | Hyatt $1.1k | IHG $1k
AMEX: AMEX Platinum NPSL | Hilton HHonors $6k | SPG $4k | Delta Gold Card $2k
Citi: Hilton HHonors Reserve $5.6k
Barclaycard: Arrival+ $2.5k
Capital One: VentureOne $10k
Others: Discover it $1600 | Jared $7.6k
Message 5 of 8
kemd

I was told it takes approx 4-6 weeks to get your rewards credited. Rewards are posted on the 9th of the month. SO, if I spent the entire $2,000 today, I'd see the 50,000 points (2 round trip tkts) on my rewards account on December 9.

Message 6 of 8
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Are rewards really only posted in the 9th? I got my first statement from Chase on the 7th and it showed my rewards. However, I logged into RR today and nothing.
Message 7 of 8
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:
Are rewards really only posted in the 9th? I got my first statement from Chase on the 7th and it showed my rewards. However, I logged into RR today and nothing.

I think it is dependent on when your statement posts. OP's statement may close on the 9th (or sometime around there) so the CSR gave her that for clarity.

OP, I believe you are going to have to wait until your statement posts with the minimum spend spent in order to get the bonus. From my understanding, it will not post immediately to your account when you hit the minimum spending.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.