Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Southwest cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Southwest cards

Hey All,

Has anyone been approved for the Southwest plus or premier while over 5/24? I've always thought I'd get the CSP, which is currently in my offers, but I'm now thinking that SW premier is the way to go. The csp does waive the AF the first year, but SW gives annual points. I only fly 1-2 times a year and it is round trip and cross country. I initially liked the idea of being able to combine all my points and xfer them to SW but not sure I spend enough to make that work out.

I do have the freedom and unlimited. Right now, I'm putting all my spend through discover miles while the double rewards is on. Both cards give a 50k points bonus. The only perk for the csp that I liked was being able to xfer points to sw and I thought the points went further that way. But now I see the spend is less on sw, the bonus is the same, and you get points every year. I always fly sw, but I can see where maybe one day I have to take a dif airline, perhaps csp makes more sense. Again, I don't have a ton of spend and the Csp shows in my offers, just have to type in income. Should I be going for the SW card instead and what about being over 5/24?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Southwest cards

Keep in mind with the CSP, it is based on Chase Ultimate Rewards. You mentioned you have the Freedom - it also generates Chase Ultimate Rewards points that can be used through the CSP for travel. So, for airlines, you can use your CSP for regular spending, and use your Freedom for expenses in the 5% quarterly categories, and then transfer those points to Southwest (1:1 transfer) and possibly get much more bang for your buck.

My 2c.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

True, but I have other cards that beat out the csp on all categories right now. The only reason I want it is being able to combine points and xfer out. If i used the csp for reg spending I'd lose out on a lot of points with other cards. It's really only a 1% card on general spend. I would not use it or the SW card for daily spend. Just to purchase and use for travel expenses. I figured I'd combine the freedom and the freedom unlimited and xfer to the csp, then xfer again to SW. But if I had sw, I figured I'd just use it for all travel and collect the sw points it gives annually and perhaps use it on purchases thru their site that gives extra rapid points. I really love the csp. But the more I look at SW premier, the more I think that may be the better card longterm.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

from posts I've seen, Chase Southwest does fall under their 5/24 rule; haven't seen anyone get it successfully to go against this
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tigers09

Well, darn. I guess I just go for the csp while it's in my offers and then get SW down the road. Maybe I'll figure out which works best for me by then. Getting the points on both doesn't sound too bad. Lol. No plans to grab csp today tho. Maybe in a few months.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.