Chase Spending Habit & Frequency of CLIs

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Spending Habit & Frequency of CLIs

@navyox wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Good morning everyone,

Sure, Chase likes big spenders and PIF before statement cuts but what's the min spending can you do to get frequent, maximum CLI?    My income is 70k, and I usually put about 2k on CCs each month, and I'm probably gonna average putting $1k on CSP and $500 on Hyatt, and rest on different cards.  Is this enough spending for Chase for the auto CLI? 

Just curious, but why would Chase (or any lender) prefer to PIF before the statement cuts?   I always thought that something WE did for utilization purposes, not something lenders cared about.

I agree - I don't think there's any widely understood notion about Chase or any other bank liking those that PIF before the statement cuts. PIF after statement? Sure.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 11 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

My question is:  how much do you spend on these card in general after you get your sign-up bonus points?  Of course I'm sure many CSP holders would spend as much as they can to reach the min. spending requirements, but what about after?   Sure, Chase likes big spenders and PIF before statement cuts but what's the min spending can you do to get frequent, maximum CLI?  

There isn't a simple and direct relationship like what you're assuming.  CLI's are going to be based on your credit, history and where you are in relationship to your internal limit with Chase.  I know I'm not expecting any as I'm at their internal limit with 4 Chase cards.

FWIW my spend on any given card is based on maximizing rewards.  I don't adjust my spend in an attempt to improve CLI's.

Please note that Chase internal limit is also ever changing. I added 2 Chase cards in April (United) and May (Airtran) this year. In June, I was declined Chase Ssouthwest (which I got approved by moving line from my Chase BA). I was told I had enough credit from Chase (27k in 4 cards).

Last week, I applied for CSP and was instantly approved for 6k.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 12 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

My question is:  how much do you spend on these card in general after you get your sign-up bonus points?  Of course I'm sure many CSP holders would spend as much as they can to reach the min. spending requirements, but what about after?   Sure, Chase likes big spenders and PIF before statement cuts but what's the min spending can you do to get frequent, maximum CLI?  

There isn't a simple and direct relationship like what you're assuming.  CLI's are going to be based on your credit, history and where you are in relationship to your internal limit with Chase.  I know I'm not expecting any as I'm at their internal limit with 4 Chase cards.

FWIW my spend on any given card is based on maximizing rewards.  I don't adjust my spend in an attempt to improve CLI's.

Please note that Chase internal limit is also ever changing. I added 2 Chase cards in April (United) and May (Airtran) this year. In June, I was declined Chase Ssouthwest (which I got approved by moving line from my Chase BA). I was told I had enough credit from Chase (27k in 4 cards).

Last week, I applied for CSP and was instantly approved for 6k.

Did your income level change or was it your additional time with the chase cards that allowed your internal limit to move up?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 17
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

I have had my csp since Late may. I have probably ran 55k+ through it since then. 2 months ago I was wrapping up home improvement and ended up putting almost 20k of a balance on it before pif'ing. I always have statement credits. When I asked for a cli on my united it was a 7-10 message and a response stating too much avail credit with them.

Still no auto love from chase on csp and since I don't plan on spending that amount of money anytime soon I am only planning to use it for everyday purchases, monthly is only 2-3k so I don't expect anything or very high auto love from reading old threads that ask the same question.
AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 14 of 17
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:
I have had my csp since Late may. I have probably ran 55k+ through it since then. 2 months ago I was wrapping up home improvement and ended up putting almost 20k of a balance on it before pif'ing. I always have statement credits. When I asked for a cli on my united it was a 7-10 message and a response stating too much avail credit with them.

Still no auto love from chase on csp and since I don't plan on spending that amount of money anytime soon I am only planning to use it for everyday purchases, monthly is only 2-3k so I don't expect anything or very high auto love from reading old threads that ask the same question.

Thanks for the insight!  Putting 55k on the CSP is wow...did you let Chase know beforehand that you were planning on making large purchases?  Your UR points must be up there.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 15 of 17
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I started with a 500cl on my freedom. Got a auto cli to 1k and then i asked for a cli to 3k. It sat there for almost a year. I started pushing 1k every month and paying it in full and got a auto cli to 3.5k that same month i started using it. 2 months later they gave me another auto cli to 4k. Im hoping to get to 5k by auto cli.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 16 of 17
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

No I didnt give them any notice. Most of the cost was for a new kitchen and cabinets, plus home improvement. Not planning to spend that kind of $ anytime soon so I was hoping during that period they might give a cli but since I am back to normal spending I doubt they will.

I app'd for the 55k bonus with the united card around the same time and ended up with 4 rt tickets practically free on united. I love this forum. I wouldn't have known how to do that so cheap otherwise.
AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.