Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Thinks This is Better?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Thinks This is Better?

@lonelyisland wrote:

Well it did used to be called Chase Manhattan before the merger so that might explain all the Chase branches in NY Smiley Happy

I used to work at Mellon Mortgage Co (Mellon Bank) they sold us off to Chase Manhattan, so we became Chase Manhattan Mortgage Co, then the merger, and we became JPMorgan Chase Mortgage. Then I quit the banking sector LOL.  Side note: Working for Chase was fantastic compared to Mellon. They had really, really good employee benefits and took lots of care in employee education. It was like Christmas time when we got the "talk" on the new benefits and policies. This was a long time ago, so not sure what its like now Smiley Happy

I spent a summer in college working as a Chase bank teller. I liked the company culture they had there, although I was at the very bottom of the heap. I was offered a chance to stay on after the summer break. Sometimes I wish I did, because I could be way up on the corporate ladder there now and probably got them to pay for my graduate education. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 41 of 49
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@lonelyisland wrote:

Well it did used to be called Chase Manhattan before the merger so that might explain all the Chase branches in NY Smiley Happy

I used to work at Mellon Mortgage Co (Mellon Bank) they sold us off to Chase Manhattan, so we became Chase Manhattan Mortgage Co, then the merger, and we became JPMorgan Chase Mortgage. Then I quit the banking sector LOL.  Side note: Working for Chase was fantastic compared to Mellon. They had really, really good employee benefits and took lots of care in employee education. It was like Christmas time when we got the "talk" on the new benefits and policies. This was a long time ago, so not sure what its like now Smiley Happy

I spent a summer in college working as a Chase bank teller. I liked the company culture they had there, although I was at the very bottom of the heap. I was offered a chance to stay on after the summer break. Sometimes I wish I did, because I could be way up on the corporate ladder there now and probably got them to pay for my graduate education. 

Just curious how did you get started working at an bank do you just in and apply for an job. I assume since its an job in financial sector that run credit checks on you ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 42 of 49
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@lonelyisland wrote:

Just curious how did you get started working at an bank do you just in and apply for an job. I assume since its an job in financial sector that run credit checks on you ?

Honestly is was totally random. I was a college student in need of a job. I went to a temp agency and got a couple of different assignments for a day here or a day there (literally like stuffing envelopes, or counting votes in union elections etc). Then I got a call saying chase needs people to be a temp bank teller while their tellers go away on vacation. I agreed and I went through the official bank teller training which lasted two weeks I think. Then I was assigned to 2 branches near my school that I went back and forth between depending on where there was need. At the end of the summer the branch manager approached me and asked if I would like to stay on with Chase while I went back to school. So it was really random, but enjoyable. This was in the mid to late 90s though. They probably check credit reports etc now. Can't remember what sort of background investigation I went through if any back then. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 43 of 49
joltdude
Senior Contributor

It depends on how much you need to with your bank in person. The one i have is has only one requirement i think live in my county. Thats about it. If you really don't do any person to person banking then i think an national CU could fit your needs. The only thing about national CU that may be an issue is if you need to deposit cash. I have never had to deposit cash so depositing check via smartphone app is good enough for me. You don't even have to do an national CU , you can do something like ally or cap one , who both have interest checking and savings accounts. 

Most CU's that are a member of their Co-op or Branch Sharing offer a few options for making a cash deposit...

You can use Branch Sharing and go in with your account number and photo ID to any supported branch that has cash access (yes there are cashless CU branches)

You can use an ATM that supports Co-Op deposits....(these are a little harder to find)

Also can use another bank and do an ACH push as a billpay (because many major banks will charge a small fee for pushing money out of your account as a transfer, but not as a billpay)....

Or you can do an ACH pull from your credit union (you request the money FROM the major bank via your CU webpage)... Many CU's dont charge for this transaction...

Message 44 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

These days, in any profession that handles money, a potential applicant will go through a CR, finger print analysis, and full background check.  Many outsource this to firms who will run a complete credit report, reputation and full criminal background check.

Message 45 of 49
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

These days, in any profession that handles money, a potential applicant will go through a CR, finger print analysis, and full background check.  Many outsource this to firms who will run a complete credit report, reputation and full criminal background check.

Yeah, another funny story. Mellon Bank hired ALOT of people through temp agencies. When Chase came in, we had to rego the hiring process. A whole company of people getting drug tested and background checked for the jobs we already were doing. I'd say 20% of people lost jobs bc of the bg check. They didnt fingerprint or anything like that but they ran a pretty good outsourced background check, and everything you put on your application had to be provable. From the high school you graduated from to the places you'd said you worked. For credit, they did run a credit check, but at the time Chase had a rule that as long as you didnt commit any financial crimes, or check writing fraud, your credit didnt have to be stellar to work in the mortgage division. Not sure what the rules were for bank tellers etc. 

Message 46 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@lonelyisland wrote:

Yeah, another funny story. Mellon Bank hired ALOT of people through temp agencies. When Chase came in, we had to rego the hiring process. A whole company of people getting drug tested and background checked for the jobs we already were doing. I'd say 20% of people lost jobs bc of the bg check. They didnt fingerprint or anything like that but they ran a pretty good outsourced background check, and everything you put on your application had to be provable. From the high school you graduated from to the places you'd said you worked. For credit, they did run a credit check, but at the time Chase had a rule that as long as you didnt commit any financial crimes, or check writing fraud, your credit didnt have to be stellar to work in the mortgage division. Not sure what the rules were for bank tellers etc. 

Right, any "fibs" or "untruths" on your original resume uncovered through this forensic process is a terminable event.  In my view, these are precisely the unintended consequences brought about from over-regulation.  Innocent well meaning people good at their jobs being terminated by a little exaggeration many years ago.  All of this because the general public weren't astute enough to use common sense and do their own risk analysis on a particular loan, investment and/or purchase.

Message 47 of 49
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@joltdude wrote:
It depends on how much you need to with your bank in person. The one i have is has only one requirement i think live in my county. Thats about it. If you really don't do any person to person banking then i think an national CU could fit your needs. The only thing about national CU that may be an issue is if you need to deposit cash. I have never had to deposit cash so depositing check via smartphone app is good enough for me. You don't even have to do an national CU , you can do something like ally or cap one , who both have interest checking and savings accounts. 

Most CU's that are a member of their Co-op or Branch Sharing offer a few options for making a cash deposit...

You can use Branch Sharing and go in with your account number and photo ID to any supported branch that has cash access (yes there are cashless CU branches)

You can use an ATM that supports Co-Op deposits....(these are a little harder to find)

Also can use another bank and do an ACH push as a billpay (because many major banks will charge a small fee for pushing money out of your account as a transfer, but not as a billpay)....

Or you can do an ACH pull from your credit union (you request the money FROM the major bank via your CU webpage)... Many CU's dont charge for this transaction...

I will NEVER make a deposit at a CU co-op ATM again. They [NFCU] didn't mention that making a cash deposit at another credit unions ATM would take 5 business days to post and not be available until the 6th day.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 48 of 49
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@iCoop wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

I will NEVER make a deposit at a CU co-op ATM again. They [NFCU] didn't mention that making a cash deposit at another credit unions ATM would take 5 business days to post and not be available until the 6th day.

if worse comes to worse i will give an family member the cash and they can write me an check and i can just deposit it via smartphone, that doesn't happen ever for me everything is dd or transfer from another account

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.