Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Trifecta - CSP or CSR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Trifecta - CSP or CSR?

Lurker -

It's rational to assume that a card like this will have an increased sign up bonus in the near future. Currently it sits at 50k which is the same as CSP, it was previously 100k. Bonuses that start high then go lower usually have a period where they go back to the higher bonus.

Take Southwest for example they're constantly fluctuating between 40 and 50k signup that's a Chase Card.

Amex does it.

Navy does it.

Just about every card with a bonus has a higher promo period usually lasting 30-90 days. CSP actually had recently a targeted 70k UR offer so....

Also, the plan you're suggesting sounds kind of crazy. Get CSP use it for sign up bonus then PC to CSR pay the $450 AF in a month then a few months later you see they have the 100k UR again so you PC the CSR down to a Freedom (or other non-AF card, but I can't because I owne Freedom and Freedom Unlimited so I'd have to pay the $95 to PC to the CSP). Then you apply for the CSR and are approved. You've now paid $995 in Annual Fees, in theory.

I would never handle my accounts that way, there may be people who do but I personally don't churn bonuses or do similar things...
Message 21 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Lurker -

It's rational to assume that a card like this will have an increased sign up bonus in the near future. Currently it sits at 50k which is the same as CSP, it was previously 100k. Bonuses that start high then go lower usually have a period where they go back to the higher bonus.

Take Southwest for example they're constantly fluctuating between 40 and 50k signup that's a Chase Card.

Amex does it.

Navy does it.

Just about every card with a bonus has a higher promo period usually lasting 30-90 days. CSP actually had recently a targeted 70k UR offer so....

Also, the plan you're suggesting sounds kind of crazy. Get CSP use it for sign up bonus then PC to CSR pay the $450 AF in a month then a few months later you see they have the 100k UR again so you PC the CSR down to a Freedom (or other non-AF card, but I can't because I owne Freedom and Freedom Unlimited so I'd have to pay the $95 to PC to the CSP). Then you apply for the CSR and are approved. You've now paid $995 in Annual Fees, in theory.

I would never handle my accounts that way, there may be people who do but I personally don't churn bonuses or do similar things...

As you cannot rely on targetted bonuses, I was talking about generally available ones, and from what I recall, the CSP has fluctuated at best very little  (whereas the Freedom for example has been much more variable, but I am making the assumption that CSR is going to be more like CSP).

The scenario was for people already with a CSP.   (If they could apply for the CSP they would apply for the CSR).   So this far from crazy pattern is just to get the extra advantages of the CSR, NOT for the bonus), and then, when eligible again, switch down and apply again, this time for the bonus whatever it is, (and IMO probably not 100K UR).    Since people do this for the features of the CSR, the annual fee doesn't matter so much and anyway, Chase gives pro-rated rebates of the AF in these situations.   Also, you can have multiple Freedoms if you PC a card to it  (You could get multiple FUs, but there is no obvious point in doing that)

Message 22 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Lurker -

Amex does it.

Navy does it.

As you cannot rely on targetted bonuses, I was talking about generally available ones, and from what I recall, the CSP has fluctuated at best very little  (whereas the Freedom for example has been much more variable, but I am making the assumption that CSR is going to be more like CSP).

The scenario was for people already with a CSP.   (If they could apply for the CSP they would apply for the CSR).   So this far from crazy pattern is just to get the extra advantages of the CSR, NOT for the bonus), and then, when eligible again, switch down and apply again, this time for the bonus whatever it is, (and IMO probably not 100K UR).    Since people do this for the features of the CSR, the annual fee doesn't matter so much and anyway, Chase gives pro-rated rebates of the AF in these situations.   Also, you can have multiple Freedoms if you PC a card to it  (You could get multiple FUs, but there is no obvious point in doing that)

The only thing I would suggest about that is that since the CSR is the high end chase card I believe we will see higher signups for it in the future. There is really no reason for Chase to do higher signups for the CSP, since they want to encourage people to go for the higher AF card over the CSP. I don't necessarily think we will see 100k again anytime soon but I would not be suprised by an 80k offer etc. Instead of comparing the bonus cycle to the CSP I would look more towards what Amex does with the plat card. Usuaully the signup isn't that great but either via a targetted offer or once in a blue moon they come out with a large signup offer. Soo many people signed up for the CSR though that it will be a minute before we see any outstanding signup offers come back around, although they might try to target high spenders who are using other lenders. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 23 of 32
xgac12x
Established Contributor

I'm going to have to wait anyways to get the CSR, due to being over 5/24 (until 06/2018). So by then hopefully chase will have a bigger sign up bonus. I don't want to miss out on the bonus, I just got the CSP a month or two ago so a PC was out of the question (I asked a Chase CA)

By then I will have more Spend in dining and travel - so patience is key for me right now, but definitely going to get the CSR when I am able to. Maybe they'll up the benefits as more competition rolls out the higher end cards that really (IMO) don't compare to the CSR, but everyone has their own different situations! I personally would never get the Amex Platinum, and the Altitude Reserve seems like it won't last (3X on all mobile purchases, but no travel partners to transfer points to?) so we'll see. It'll be interesting
CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

"The only thing I would suggest about that is that since the CSR is the high end chase card I believe we will see higher signups for it in the future. " - Red

With a $450 AF I definitely believe they'll have higher sign up bonuses in the future.

Lurker - My posts are not intended for someone already in possession of a CSP. My posts are intended for someone considering doing a Trifecta, which is what the title of this thread suggests.

You'd be crazy to assume they'll never up it to 80k or 100k again. With a $450 AF either they'll end up waiving the first AF LIKE CSP or increasing the sign up bonus. Either way it's worth waiting.

Again if your plan as you wrote is to have the CSP, then PC to the CSR, then see that they increased the signup bonus for the CSR so PC back to CSP and app for the CSR. That's just crazy because you've just paid $995 in Annual Fees alone.

That's literally what you suggested in a previous post.
Message 25 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
"The only thing I would suggest about that is that since the CSR is the high end chase card I believe we will see higher signups for it in the future. " - Red

With a $450 AF I definitely believe they'll have higher sign up bonuses in the future.

Lurker - My posts are not intended for someone already in possession of a CSP. My posts are intended for someone considering doing a Trifecta, which is what the title of this thread suggests.

You'd be crazy to assume they'll never up it to 80k or 100k again. With a $450 AF either they'll end up waiving the first AF LIKE CSP or increasing the sign up bonus. Either way it's worth waiting.

Again if your plan as you wrote is to have the CSP, then PC to the CSR, then see that they increased the signup bonus for the CSR so PC back to CSP and app for the CSR. That's just crazy because you've just paid $995 in Annual Fees alone.

That's literally what you suggested in a previous post.

OK, so I wasn't talking exactly about the thread title.   But again, what I was talking is what several people here have done.   The point is NOT bonus chasing, but to get the advantages of the CSR when you are over 5/24.   And such people don't count the AF as $450, they travel enough to have the effective fee as $150, which (if they are doing this) is justified by the increased advantages of the card.   Then, at some later point, maybe 2 years later in the worst case,  they app for the card to get whatever bonus is available.  So just like someone who keeps the card, they pay X years of AF, get X years of advantages, and get X years of $300 travel credit.   The only reason to do this would be if you are unable to get CSR for 5/24

And, while I may be wrong, I don't think it is crazy to think that there may not be increased generally available offers on the CSR.   They did very well in the initial sign up (maybe too well with the reported losses) and so experience may show that too many of the people who sign up with big offers don't in fact keep the card long enough to be profitable.   Chase initiated 5/24, so I am willing to believe that there is at least a chance that they will be conservative about this.

Message 26 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Revelate -

I wouldn't say it's for bonus chasers, but bonuses are a large factor when signing up. To me a "bonus chaser" is someone who signs up for a card for the sole purpose of getting the bonus then PC'ing it. When I look for cards yes I do look at the sign up bonus as playing a factor in if I app for it, but I also look at long term factors as well. I'm just saying that IF I were looking between CSP and CSR right now I personally would pick CSP as I don't travel more than 3-4 times a year through airlines. I, being a rational person would wait until mid summer when they will likely again increase the sign up bonus at least to 80k or if we're lucky to 100k.

In order to make up those lost 50k UR you'd have to spend $50,000 on regular spend or at the very lowest $17,000 purely on Dining/Travel.

I'm just saying that at this particular moment in time it's not good to apply for CSR over the CSP.

In the future it may be better, and it appears that your circumstances are different than a lot of people (PC'ing the CSP because of denial).

We're just arguing semantics: if you wouldn't apply for a card because you don't have a use for it (travel / dining, specifically likely international travel in the CSR's case with that godlike lounge benefit which doesn't do that much in the US given the location distribution) other than for a bonus, that's my definition of bonus chasing.

Others may not agree with my use of that term, but I don't mean that as a negative in any sort, but it's a simple label.  FWIW I might wind up in a place in life where I'll do that in the future, just that isn't right now.

You're right though, my use case is definitely different than most people's in that I needed a premier travel card and the bonus would've been a very nice cherry on top but it wasn't to be.  Learned my lesson there.

        
Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lurker - You're arguing for a small percentage of people overall who are A) Already in possession of CSP B) Are over 5/24 C) Are not willing to wait until they are under 5/24 to apply for CSR. What percentage of the overall US population over age 18 do you think meet all 3 conditions? Smiley Wink

My argument is for the majority of people, as other posters have said there is a high probability of an increased sign up bonus, and it is possible they will not go as high as 100k again, but at the same time they may go to 80k or waive the first year's AF. I believe and it's a strong possibility that this will happen this year open to everyone, not just targeted.

Unless they decrease the CSP sign up bonus they remain the same, actually better for CSP because first AF is waived.

To the average person, not someone who scours threads or does major research, they look the same, except one you owe $450 up front to get it. So that is a turn off for many average people.
Message 28 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Lurker - You're arguing for a small percentage of people overall who are A) Already in possession of CSP B) Are over 5/24 C) Are not willing to wait until they are under 5/24 to apply for CSR. What percentage of the overall US population over age 18 do you think meet all 3 conditions? Smiley Wink

My argument is for the majority of people, as other posters have said there is a high probability of an increased sign up bonus, and it is possible they will not go as high as 100k again, but at the same time they may go to 80k or waive the first year's AF. I believe and it's a strong possibility that this will happen this year open to everyone, not just targeted.

Unless they decrease the CSP sign up bonus they remain the same, actually better for CSP because first AF is waived.

To the average person, not someone who scours threads or does major research, they look the same, except one you owe $450 up front to get it. So that is a turn off for many average people.

No, if you look back I was arguing about your response to Rev's case and your use of the "lost" 50K points.   The idea behind my post was simply that they are not permanently lost in cases like his.   I am not attempting to speak to the general case, and I have (as you pointed out!) deviated from the threads title.

Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could have said something like referring to Rev or in Rev's case.

And actually yes they are lost because if you PC from CSP to CSR the AF is due. PC'ing back and applying for a new CSR just for the bonus would be ridiculous and you'd like lose more than you'd gain by doing so.

I don't believe that even if they did up it to 100k that Rev would PC back to CSP and apply for CSR if he were under 5/24 too. It just doesn't make financial sense to do so.
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.