Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Trifecta Causing IHG Reconsideration

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Chase Trifecta Causing IHG Reconsideration

So with the debut soon of Chase Freedom Unlimited and my CSP app next year, I will have the ultimate trifecta. Freedom 5% cats, FU 1.5% and CSP. My question is do I really need IHG as well since I can transfer thru CSP to IHG? Is it redundant to have both? Or is it worth keeping IHG for the free night stay at any property in the world?. Just trying to trim fat where I can.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Trifecta Causing IHG Reconsideration

Would you use the IHG for anything other than to collect a free night's stay? I would think 2 - 3 Chase cards would be enough.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 2 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

No I would have no use for IHG if I have CSP.
Message 3 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

I think it's redundant.  I do the same with Hyatt and United Air.  

The only reason to really app is the sign-up bonus but I don't think the cards are worth it to just SD.

The only co-branded card I see some long-term value is Ritz because spending 10k a year gets you gold status, not bad for $95 net.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think it's redundant/unnecessary. The annual free night is nice and all, but it's just one night out of 365, and if you're trying to trim fat, seems redundant.

Message 5 of 28
Sharingan
Established Contributor

For me, IHG's points have way too low of a value to be a suitable loyalty transfer program for my UR points. I have my IHG card for its free annual night and because it confers Platinum Elite status. If you are fine with converting valuable UR points to IHG points, then you can certainly cut the IHG card loose.

Message 6 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:
For me, IHG's points have way too low of a value to be a suitable loyalty transfer program for my UR points. I have my IHG card for its free annual night and because it confers Platinum Elite status. If you are fine with converting valuable UR points to IHG points, then you can certainly cut the IHG card loose.

You don't say? Hmmmm interesting

Message 7 of 28
myjourney
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
So with the debut soon of Chase Freedom Unlimited and my CSP app next year, I will have the ultimate trifecta. Freedom 5% cats, FU 1.5% and CSP. My question is do I really need IHG as well since I can transfer thru CSP to IHG? Is it redundant to have both? Or is it worth keeping IHG for the free night stay at any property in the world?. Just trying to trim fat where I can.

I guess I'll be the lone cowboy here then....

Don't have the IHG but I do have the Hyatt and since I'll get the free room each year and have the CSP/INK combo.

I can take UR points and top off my account for extra days instead of using say 3 days of UR points I'll only be using 2

Not to mention the perks of status if obtained from spending on the hotel card....upgrades.more bonus points, early checkin and out etc etc 

So my thinking is to double down making my card more valuable in my case

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Like anything else it depends how much you spend and where you spend it. If you spend on IHG properties a lot, then it could be worth having. But if you're just holding the card in the SD for one annual night a year, I don't think that's as important. But I prefer an approach of less cards. Some people like to have a card purely for a certain benefit, and that's fine too. But since OP wants to trim down, I would think one annual free night isn't that big of a deal. (Yes, it can be used anywhere, but it seems unlikely you'd fly across the world for just one night, meaning you'd still be paying for some nights!).

Message 9 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

I guess I'll be the lone cowboy here then....

Don't have the IHG but I do have the Hyatt and since I'll get the free room each year and have the CSP/INK combo.

I can take UR points and top off my account for extra days instead of using say 3 days of UR points I'll only be using 2

Not to mention the perks of status if obtained from spending on the hotel card....upgrades.more bonus points, early checkin and out etc etc 

So my thinking is to double down making my card more valuable in my case

So would I lose my Platinum Elite status if I closed IHG card?

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.