Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Trio?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Trio?

What's with this Chase Trio?
Is there more to it than people just getting their favorite 3 Chase cards?
I read some posts about having the CSR and FU to get more cash back on the FU-or maybe the value of the cash back more. I don't get it.
Please help the intellectually challenged.
Thank you.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Trio?

The Chase trio is Freedom for 5% rotating categories, FU for 1.5% on all purchases, and CSR for travel/dining. All 3 cards participate in Ultimate rewards and can be lumped together to maximize those travel rewards.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love Chase but I'm not a fan of rotating categories.

Message 3 of 13
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

1. Freedom- rotating categories- 5% cash back (by also having a CSP/CSR/Ink, it allows you to turn cash back to miles, so it's 5x per dollar on the rotating categories).
2. FU- basically an everyday card for non dining + non category spending. 1.5% cash back (same as above where it can be 1.5x per dollar). The 0.5 may not seem like a lot, but when you pay your bills + misc spending with this, I can tel you from personal use, the points come rushing in.
3. CSR/CSP/ink- lastly, the 'AF cards' which unlocks the capabilities of turning cash back to miles. Of course depending on which one you get, the points differ.

The chase trio is sought out due to how valuable URs are. IMO it is probably the best rewards system and most flexible.

I'd advise you to break down the numbers before you apply as chase does have the 5/24, so it is important to plan the applications prior to doing so.

Hope that helps.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 4 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What's with this Chase Trio?
Is there more to it than people just getting their favorite 3 Chase cards?
I read some posts about having the CSR and FU to get more cash back on the FU-or maybe the value of the cash back more. I don't get it.
Please help the intellectually challenged.
Thank you.

With CSR you will not get more cash back on the FU. FU/F/CSP/CSR and others give you UR points, if you only have the FU you can't use those point to transfer at 1:1 to travel partners nor can use the points at 1:1.5 value to pay for travel.

CSR/F/FU combo is to get UR points and use them for travel to max their value. If you use your points to pay for travel on the Chase portal with CSR you will get 1.5 value:

- Freedom will be a 7.5% back for categories that rotate each quarter

- CSR will be 4.5% back travel and dining 

- FU will be 2.25% back on everything else

Now that the welcome bonus is the same for CSR and CSP, if you use your UR points to always transfer to partners at 1:1, and you don't want/need the extra perks with CSR (3% instead 2% in travel/dining, Global Entry, lounge access), you could have the CSP/F/FU trio instead of CSR/F/FU. I read that some people value their UR points at 2 cents or even a little more when they transfer to partners. Maybe I'll PC my CSR to CSP in the future, if I learn how to get the 2 cent value.

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Like a few (OK, many!) things here, the Trio is perhaps overhyped here for some people.

Yes, IF you buy travel through the Chase portal, having the CSR will make FU 2.25% and Freedom 7.5%.   But if you don't, FU is 1.5UR, which may, or may not, be better than a 2% cashback card.  

Similarly, if you transfer rather than purchase travel, CSP may be better than CSR, depending if extra earning, lounge access etc, is worth the extra $55 AF (assuming you fully use the travel credit)

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Thx for the explanation.
Message 7 of 13
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Like a few (OK, many!) things here, the Trio is perhaps overhyped here for some people.

Yes, IF you buy travel through the Chase portal, having the CSR will make FU 2.25% and Freedom 7.5%.   But if you don't, FU is 1.5UR, which may, or may not, be better than a 2% cashback card.  

Similarly, if you transfer rather than purchase travel, CSP may be better than CSR, depending if extra earning, lounge access etc, is worth the extra $55 AF (assuming you fully use the travel credit)

Strongly disagree here.

This all depends on what your goals are and what your spending habits are.

Let me give myself as an example. I have the CSP (90 AF) along with the FU + F (no AFs).

I recently bought tickets for the wifey and I costing 700, for a measley 30k points + ~$20.

You just have to know what you're doing and know where to look to get good value.

URs is by far the most versatile rewards program. and utilizing cards that help increase the amount of points available on that program (which you can later transfer 1:1, and get a phenomenal deal) is not really overhyping it. But that's just my two cents..

As for the CSR vs CSP, it only makes sense if you use that travel credit, otherwise, imo, that extra 1x doesnt justify the no 1st year waive + extra AF.

Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Random_idiot wrote:
1. Freedom- rotating categories- 5% cash back (by also having a CSP/CSR/Ink, it allows you to turn cash back to miles, so it's 5x per dollar on the rotating categories).
2. FU- basically an everyday card for non dining + non category spending. 1.5% cash back (same as above where it can be 1.5x per dollar). The 0.5 may not seem like a lot, but when you pay your bills + misc spending with this, I can tel you from personal use, the points come rushing in.
3. CSR/CSP/ink- lastly, the 'AF cards' which unlocks the capabilities of turning cash back to miles. Of course depending on which one you get, the points differ.

The chase trio is sought out due to how valuable URs are. IMO it is probably the best rewards system and most flexible.

I'd advise you to break down the numbers before you apply as chase does have the 5/24, so it is important to plan the applications prior to doing so.

Hope that helps.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Not true. Went into the branch the other day and inquired about the 5/24 rule when it comes to their CC's. The personal banker said that only applies for the CSR. They are more lenient about it for the other cards. 

Message 9 of 13
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Random_idiot wrote:

Hope that helps.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Not true. Went into the branch the other day and inquired about the 5/24 rule when it comes to their CC's. The personal banker said that only applies for the CSR. They are more lenient about it for the other cards. 

Yeah, those bankers have nothing to do with the approval process, so I take whatever BS they spew with a grain of salt.

A quick google shows that the 5/24 applies for all Chase branded cards, and some co-branded. That being said, just like everything credit related YMMV.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.