cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ultimate Rewards Program - Question!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Ultimate Rewards Program - Question!

Hello! I just received my new Chase Freedom card and I'm confused on how the Ultimate Rewards Program works. For example, I can get an extra 3% cash back at Macy's but the fine print says, "Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site." Does this mean I have to choose between the extra 3% cash back or the 20% coupon code that is being advertised on Macys.com or can I combine both together?

Thanks for your assistance!

Laurel

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Ultimate Rewards Program - Question!

It means that if you use an outside promo code or coupon, the 3% will not be valid. I assume this is through the Chast UR portal. Basically, Chase has a specialized link to the vendor so the vendor can recognize Chase as the referrer and pay them, part of which Chase then pays you. But if you use a different promo code or coupon after you get to the site, the referrer is reset to whoever that promo code belongs to (if it's the merchant themselves, then they believe they made the sale all by themselves), and Chase doesn't get paid. Therefore, you don't get paid.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went through the portal and was on Macys.com saw they had the promotion and put in the code.  I did recieve 3X points for it.

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I went through the portal and was on Macys.com saw they had the promotion and put in the code.  I did recieve 3X points for it.

Yes, a lot of these things work at least some of the time.   But sometimes they will fail and you have no recourse as the conditions stated otherwise.    

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would use the portal for things that get no discount like oakley sunglasses and other accessories otherwise outside just might give more savings.

I try to do the trial runs using a shopping portal with a 1% back on chase vs. Going all chase
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.