Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ultimate Rewards question

tag
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Ultimate Rewards question

@Anonymous wrote:

This was me as well. I apped for both the CSP and the Freedom with scores just under 700. I have since merged the csp into the Freedom because I got the Ink. I did have some regrets because I think my freedom started with a lower CL due to the scores.  I also made  sure I had the preapprovals before I pulled the trigger. Good luck OP.

There is this.  My DW responded to mailers for her CSP and Freedom when her scores were, guessing here, upper 600's?, and her limits are 8K and 9K and haven't moved.  Interestingly, there was no HP for her CSP.  I waited until we consolidated all of our banking at Chase with large balances, my scores were all 740+ with completedly clean reports and my SL's were 25+K and I have received auto CLI's on both  If you read the CSP approval reports there are a lot of people who app too soon for CSP and are stuck with low CL's.  I would recommend starting with Freedom and using it heavy for 6 months before you even think of app'ing for CSP.  IMHO, YMMV.  Good luck.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

To OP - Since this is Chase, do be aware of their 5/24 rule.  If you are going for all 3 cards then you need to be at 2/24 (or below).  The Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are great cards (IMO) but their value goes up a notch if paired with the CSP.  It may be painful to get the CSP first but that might be your only path if you are near the 5/24 limit.

Message 22 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

To OP - Since this is Chase, do be aware of their 5/24 rule.  If you are going for all 3 cards then you need to be at 2/24 (or below).  The Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are great cards (IMO) but their value goes up a notch if paired with the CSP.  It may be painful to get the CSP first but that might be your only path if you are near the 5/24 limit.

True.   But, IMO, the FU is only valuable with a transfer card (or a plan to get one some time soon) AND a good way to redeem.   Otherwise it functions as a 1.5% cashback card when there are free 2% cards.    

Message 23 of 27
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True.   But, IMO, the FU is only valuable with a transfer card (or a plan to get one some time soon) AND a good way to redeem.   Otherwise it functions as a 1.5% cashback card when there are free 2% cards.    

It pains me everytime i think about the major error i made when i closed my CSP , when i should have pc'ed my CSP to FU , ohh the pain. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 24 of 27
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently, I fall under the 0/24 category lol So I am good with that. I will apply for CSP first. and then try for FU immediately if accepted. If not accepted I will hit freedom, then FU a month later, and within 6 months try again for CSP.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Random_idiot wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently, I fall under the 0/24 category lol So I am good with that. I will apply for CSP first. and then try for FU immediately if accepted. If not accepted I will hit freedom, then FU a month later, and within 6 months try again for CSP.

/thumbsup

Sounds like a plan!  I wish you good fortune with your apps!

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do the CSP -> Freedom -> Freedom Unlimited.

The Freedom is a great card to be racking up the points in.

$6000 in the 5% category spend = 300 UR Points

$6000 in 1.5% FU = 90 UR Points

$20000 in 1.5% FU = match Freedom 5% points

And the 5% categories are pretty good, especially this Q3/Q4 if you shop at the wholesale clubs.  Unless you spend a lot a lot on non-bonus categories then I wouldn't prioritize the FU.  The Freedom 5% and Discover IT 5% are great long term keeper cards IMO.

The Freedom also makes sense on its own without the CSP.  The FU on its own is weaker than a DC or any other 2% CB card.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.