Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ultimate Rewards v Citi Thank You Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Ultimate Rewards v Citi Thank You Rewards

Hello everyone, I hope you're all well and achieving success with your credit.

I need an opinion from everyone.

I have a Chase Sapphire Prefered Card in my wallet, and a Thank you Premier Card. I spend $ 1000+ on restaurants every month using my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card which gets me two points every time. I also have it set up with my EZ Pass on which I spend $400 every month. On average, I'm gaining around 2800 points every month just from these two categories. I travel once a year, and this year, I was planning on booking my flight through Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Recently, I got into an argument with my brother who said I should be using Thank You Premier Card instead when I dine into restaurants because it gets me 3x points which are equivalent to 3.75 Thank you points when redeemed for travel.

Do you guys think I can make the most out of it by using my Chase Sapphire Preferred card or do I need to change gears and start using my Citi Thank you Premier Card.

I understand starting April 18, citi rewards will changing a bit but my concern is for the next two months right now and not long term.

Please let me know what you think.

On a side note, I want to thank each and every member on this forum for posting their experiences with credit cards. I know this is my first post on this forum, but I've been browsing through this website for almost 6 months now. Thanks again.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Ultimate Rewards v Citi Thank You Rewards

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Chase Sapphire Prefered Card in my wallet, and a Thank you Premier Card. I spend $ 1000+ on restaurants every month using my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card which gets me two points every time. I also have it set up with my EZ Pass on which I spend $400 every month. On average, I'm gaining around 2800 points every month just from these two categories. I travel once a year, and this year, I was planning on booking my flight through Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Recently, I got into an argument with my brother who said I should be using Thank You Premier Card instead when I dine into restaurants because it gets me 3x points which are equivalent to 3.75 Thank you points when redeemed for travel.

Do you guys think I can make the most out of it by using my Chase Sapphire Preferred card or do I need to change gears and start using my Citi Thank you Premier Card.

I understand starting April 18, citi rewards will changing a bit but my concern is for the next two months right now and not long term.

On a side note, I want to thank each and every member on this forum for posting their experiences with credit cards. I know this is my first post on this forum, but I've been browsing through this website for almost 6 months now. Thanks again.

NO problem, glad to have you finally join us Smiley Happy.

So just to clarify, you are using either UR or TY through their travel portal and not transferring to partners, correct? If so, the TYP seems like the clear winner here.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NO problem, glad to have you finally join us Smiley Happy.

So just to clarify, you are using either UR or TY through their travel portal and not transferring to partners, correct? If so, the TYP seems like the clear winner here.

Yes, (for the next two months anyway, but then EZPass will start getting 3x TYP).  The only caveat is if there is a period where you don't travel.  Although cashing out is lousy value for both UR and TYP, UR will give you 1 c per point, and TYP will give you much less unless you get a mortgage/student loan rebate.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I never knew my Citi premier card will come in handy one day! ..and yes, I'll be booking the flights over their portal.

Thanks again for your speedy replies.
Message 4 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, I never knew my Citi premier card will come in handy one day! ..and yes, I'll be booking the flights over their portal.

Thanks again for your speedy replies.

Just one thing to keep in mind if you are going to use TYP for award travel, your best bet probably would be redeeming for UAL or AA. I think you only get 1.6 cpp value that way , but you avoid major fuel surcharges since none of TYP are domestic based airlines i believe. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. Now, this airline transferring is really confusing to me which is why I dont even want to play around with it. Im very illiterate as far as that area is concerned. I travel to Australia every year in March, and come back in April. I have 57,000 points sitting in Chase rewards, and 33,000 sitting in Citi. Is there a way I can combine both points at once? If not, what are my cheapest options of visiting Australia every year?
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No way to combine from UR to TYP. But, you can transfer your UR to united for one way to Australia and book a one way back to US on AA, using your TYP.

You should pickup the US airways MasterCard, 50k miles for $89 AF, $1 spend. Those miles will convert to AA miles. AA is partners with Qantas.
Message 7 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No way to combine from UR to TYP. But, you can transfer your UR to united for one way to Australia and book a one way back to US on AA, using your TYP.

You should pickup the US airways MasterCard, 50k miles for $89 AF, $1 spend. Those miles will convert to AA miles. AA is partners with Qantas.

you can get it reduced to 64 for af if you get the 25 statement credit for doing paperless statement. I think its best offer out there for airline miles cards. I guess they are trying to get most people signed up for it before it disappears in an few months. 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh no! I definitely dont need more cards. I have 6 cards already, and its super annoying to stay up to date with them.

Now that I know Citi thank you premier will get me 3X points on dining, and after April 18, 2X points. I am starting to ask myself why is there so much attention given to chase sapphire pref card and not citi premier?
Message 9 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh no! I definitely dont need more cards. I have 6 cards already, and its super annoying to stay up to date with them.

Now that I know Citi thank you premier will get me 3X points on dining, and after April 18, 2X points. I am starting to ask myself why is there so much attention given to chase sapphire pref card and not citi premier?

I think because in general UR partners are better then TYP. also orginally premeir had higher AF now its reduced so AF is the same as CSP. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.