Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ultimate Rewards vs AMEX Membership Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Ultimate Rewards vs AMEX Membership Rewards

I currently have the Chase Freedom and I'm planning on getting the AMEX Zync. Since I do travel occasionally (I'm an international student at the moment), I'm wondering which program is better worth the investment. If the UR, then I can always app for the CSP and stick with UR, if the MR, then I can always PC or app for the AMEX Green to get the MR benefits. Any suggestions or opinions on this matter?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Ultimate Rewards vs AMEX Membership Rewards

From what I've heard the zync doesn't get MR points, it gets MRe points (or something similar) which aren't worth as much during conversion as the regular MR points. Hopefully someone who actually has the card will step in and explain the specifics Smiley Very Happy 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but if I get the AMEX Green later on (if I decide to stick with the MR program) then I can transfer the Express points to the full MR program.

I do want the ZYNC just so I can get the BCP later on in life but if the MR program is better then I'll app for the Green as well. If not, then I'll just go with the CSP. But I'm just having trouble which package is a better fit Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Well I know if you qualify for the green you can always downgrade to zync if you don't want to pay the higher AF, not sure if you can upgrade back though. Either way the zync is a really easy way to get your foot in the door with amex. 

Message 4 of 13
YahComb
Established Contributor

From what i understand, Zync by itself is the less valuable MRE points, but if you pair it with a Regular MR card, you can use your zync bonus categories to rack up regular MR points.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 5 of 13
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Also if your scores and such are good enough you could skip the zync altogether and grab the Gold PR card and pick up the 25,000 MR points. First year is free then PC down to green. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which one is better bottom line depends on what airlines you fly and what hotels you stay at. Look at what airlines you fly and hotels you stay at and look up if they are transfer partners for MR or UR, and pick the card that fits your preferred hotels and airlines.

Remember the key to maximizing rewards and earning them as easy as possible is to find cards that fit your spending or travel patterns, not the other way around. You wouldn't want to adjust your spending or travel patterns for a card, merely find one that fits you.

Message 7 of 13
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which one is better bottom line depends on what airlines you fly and what hotels you stay at. Look at what airlines you fly and hotels you stay at and look up if they are transfer partners for MR or UR, and pick the card that fits your preferred hotels and airlines.

Remember the key to maximizing rewards and earning them as easy as possible is to find cards that fit your spending or travel patterns, not the other way around. You wouldn't want to adjust your spending or travel patterns for a card, merely find one that fits you.

+1

I found a great deal on a Hilton property for an upcoming vacation. I was able to transfer 50,000 MR points at 1.5x to Hilton. This worked out to be worth about $750. I have the same amount of UR points but they aren't transferable to Hilton. I needed another 20,000 MR points to fully pay for the stay. Having both programs gives me some option that I wouldn't have with just one program.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys! This is one of the most useful forums ever. (And nobody here is telling me about the amazing benefits of a Centurion either Smiley Tongue)

Unfortunately my limited credit history will not get me a Green or a CSP. I really don't have a preferred airline but if I can I do fly Delta, Korean, or Asiana... Both reward programs have those airlines or one of the three at least so it's not too much of a problem. 

However, is MR or UR any good for non-travel rewards? Like if I just wanted to buy an Apple product or cash back? If not, I don't see the point of getting both a nice AMEX charge card in the future AND the CSP [which I really like since it's metal honestly].

@Dadaluma83: Thank you for the wise advice! I have to remember that I'm the master of creditors, not the other way around ><

Message 9 of 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Get zync to get your foot in the  door, don't worry about the point program, unless you are a very wealthy/well financed student you probably wont earn enough to benefit from points for travel. Points cost a dollar, and are worth a penny, so even $1000 a month spent net you about $10-$20 not exactly a big benefit. But you will be ready for a much better AMEX card when you graduate. And back dating rocks. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.