Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ultimate rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Ultimate rewards

With the current chase line up of cards it seems to me that they have laid down the gauntlet to the other credit card companies for rewards structure. Being able to convert all your points from Freedom with the 5% catergories, travel and dining with the CSR or CSP, and bill's and such with FU at 1.5% its hard for me to see any other combo that competes. I know there are better overall catogories cards for say Gas and Groceries, but you will be limited on what you can turn your points into... 

I currently sit at 4/24 and will be apping for a travel card in 4-6 months and  looking at my options I have a QS, but why would I want a venture? I have a Discover IT, but why would I want a Discover miles etc... It seems like my best option would be to go for a CSP or CSR, and pair it with my FU then in a year app for a Freedom, and I will use my Costco visa for gas and of course Costco purchases.  

I am by no means saying other cards don't have merit or use this is just what I see that would work for me...Does anyone think other banks might step up and do something similiar?

Current cards: Discover IT, FU, Costco Visa, QS, Barclays Arrival (PC from old Travelocity Amex no bonus...) Empower FCU 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Ultimate rewards

Bank of America, US Bank and Wells Fargo have not been the pack leaders for some time. Not sure other than Bank of America the other two ever were leaders. It always seemed that Chase, Citi and AX were innovators with some lesser known banks following closely. The City National Bank offers a really good Visa Infinite Card (offerings restricted to banking foot print?!) but where do you partner for rewards? Food for thought and I am hungry.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree the Ultimate Rewards is the best hands down. Im surprisingly not to excited about the Chase Reserve, many because I have the Amex Platinum.
Message 3 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It also depends on what partners you can use (among other things)  Which is why you still here much love for the Citi Prestige (4th night free, along with those that find value in the TY partners) and for the Amex MR program (with earnings on EDP and PRG).

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree there are some better cards overall, but for a suite of cards and the ability to interchange points for a non-baller (tm) like myself, and not wanting several large AF's cards to carry as a whole their combo is hard to beat....

Message 5 of 18
Xistaben2
New Contributor

My heart was pretty set on committing to the MR rewards structure from Amex.  Switching to UR's was very spur of the moment once the CSR was released and jumped to a no brainer rewards structure.

I hope AMEX and Citi step up to compete, but it may not be likely.  The CSP and Freedom/Ink combo has been out for a while before the CSR came out and even that was arguably better than TY and MR, but the race was much much closer.  With the release of CSR and the 3x earnings and 50% redemption rate compared to 20% from CSP, just skyrocketed the value.

Time will tell though.  I am set up to commit to either when the time comes (just need to apply to a PRG).

The only reason I don't have the AMEX Plat is because I don't travel enough to justify the AF.  My use of the perks would be limited to 2-4 times a year.  Similar can be said about the CSR, but I find great value in earning 3x points compared to 1x and the annual credits are pretty much hassle free with CSR whereas they are not for the Platinum.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still thinking about applying for a few Chase cards even though I do not travel much at the moment. The ability to combine points and flexible travel partners are what interest me. Hopefully a trip could be in the near future.

Message 7 of 18
Xistaben2
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am still thinking about applying for a few Chase cards even though I do not travel much at the moment. The ability to combine points and flexible travel partners are what interest me. Hopefully a trip could be in the near future.

See that is the beauty of it - it doesn't have to be redeemed for travel.  Even if you have your Chase cards including the CSR, it's very competitive as cash back as well.  Give the 50% redeption bonus through the Chase portal, the cash back would essentially break down like this (if you have the CSR):

CSR:

4.5% Travel

4.5% Restaurants

Freedom:

7.5% Catagories

Freedom Unlimited:

2.25% Everything

Ink Plus:

7.5% Office Supplies and TV/Internet/Cell

3% Gas

So I mean, having that array of cards is like a one stop shop for great points and great cash back.

Message 8 of 18
driftless
Valued Contributor

It really boils down to your airlines and travel. People who travel know which is the better ecosystem be in for their own travel without asking. There is no better travel card, there is just the travel card that suits your personal travel best. And, if you only travel a few times a year, then your best travel card is probably a cash back card
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 9 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You can't just assume that UR is universally better.  It suits me best but that's because of the vale I can get with redemption options I use and with my spend.  Each needs to do a proper analysis and to do the math for the individual's spend and ability to redeem with each program.  Don't look just at the cards.  It's never just about the cards themselves but about how well cards and programs suit the individual.  There are certainly those who could be better served with a program like MR.  There are also those that would be better off sticking to cash back.

@Xistaben2 wrote:
Give the 50% redeption bonus through the Chase portal
The portal is just one redemption option. I know it provides an easy way to calculate reward value but everyone should consider the transfer partners and run the numbers for using them for comparison.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.